PDA

View Full Version : Thirsty rd28

gqt
28th December 2011, 03:52 AM
Hey everyone. I need some help to work out why my rd28t gq is using so much fuel. It gets about 18-20/100km's on 31's. Blocked off egr. Air tech snorkel. Been like this for quite some time now. I'm on the verge of selling because I can't afford the $130 a week for only 450km's.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Matt

Silver
28th December 2011, 11:40 AM
I have a TB2 GQ that does about the same - I don't have the experience to give an answer but gee, that must make you cranky! Hope you find a solution soon

the ferret
28th December 2011, 01:29 PM
I have the GU RD28t intercooled, EGR blocked and that's it.
I run 200 /1 twostroke,on 31s. Was getting 9.8ks to the litre before twostroke, 13 ks/litre with twostroke.
I would think your injector pump needs a tweek, check air filter and all vacuum lines.
Cheers, the ferret.

gqt
28th December 2011, 03:34 PM
I thought that the 2 stroke was ment to make it better on fuel? Not worse?

the ferret
28th December 2011, 03:38 PM
I thought that the 2 stroke was ment to make it better on fuel? Not worse?

Umm, might pay to read my last post again.
Cheers, the ferret.

gqt
28th December 2011, 04:04 PM
Oh. Youv'e written km's to the litre not litre's to the 100km's. My bad lol

gqt
30th December 2011, 12:56 AM
Hmm... So writing it the way you have. My gq is returning me 5km's per litre compared to your gu at 13. Hope I can fix mine and get similar to yours. That'd get me 1,100km to the tank before I fill up, compared to my current 450km.

gqt
30th December 2011, 07:25 PM
Well new fuel filter didn't help at all. It's actually the 2nd fuel filter I've fitted in the 6 months I've owned the car. I've cleaned out the air filter before also and it didn't help. My try clean it again or replace it.

Is there anything else on the gq rd28 that could cause excessive fuel usage?

YNOT
30th December 2011, 07:57 PM
How long since it last had new injectors and pump rebuild and tune?

Tony

gqt
30th December 2011, 11:06 PM
No idea. It's just under 365,000km's on the clock. Had a look at the air filter and it had no dirt or dust in it at all from last time I cleaned it out.

Is there a way to check the condition of them? Wonder what the cost is to get it done.

Also I have now turned the fuel up a little figured it's costing an arm and leg to run so might as well make it go a bit better lol and just done 250km round trip and still getting the same fuel usage with the fuel wound up by just under half a turn. No black smoke out the exhaust.

sa_on_patrol
31st December 2011, 05:17 PM
Before you go out and get the injectors cleaned, maybe try some injector cleaner in the fuel. Something like chemtech, flashlube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaunous
31st December 2011, 05:43 PM
Hey gqt,
In other topic's you've said your boost goes as high as 15psi, if your not blowing any black smoke at all and using that amount of fuel i'd be winding that back down and then monitoring any changes, as you've wound the pump up it will probably blow smoke after winding the boost back down, so you may have to adjust that again.

Cheers,
Shaun...

gqt
31st December 2011, 09:58 PM
I had the fuel wound up till it blew a bit of black smoke and then wound it down just a touch till the black smoke only just stopped. Well at least from my rear view mirror. Might still have a tiny bit of black smoke that I can't see from the rearview mirror.

And I will deff try some injector cleaner. Almost tempted to throw an rb25det in before spending to much money on this motor

Shaunous
1st January 2012, 08:03 AM
I had the fuel wound up till it blew a bit of black smoke and then wound it down just a touch till the black smoke only just stopped. Well at least from my rear view mirror. Might still have a tiny bit of black smoke that I can't see from the rearview mirror.

And I will deff try some injector cleaner. Almost tempted to throw an rb25det in before spending to much money on this motor

Dont forget your higher boost to mate, the higher your boost, the more fuel is thrown in to compensate, may be worth a fiddle around with.

gqt
6th January 2012, 01:00 AM
Well I've ran a bottle of injector cleaner through. And just filled up the tank today and put in a 200:1 mix of 2 stroke. So will see what I get from this tank. Back to work on Monday also so might have a fair bit of trailer towing

Ben-e-boy
6th January 2012, 10:46 AM
Almost tempted to throw an rb25det in before spending to much money on this motor

your money will be better spent on the diesel

Ben-e-boy
6th January 2012, 10:59 AM
two stroke oil in diesel is used to lubricate the seals in the injector pump as there is very little (if any sulphur) in diesel these days. sulphur was used to lubricate seals.

Adding 2 stroke to your rig is going to do very little for your economy and isnt the miricle additive some people describe.
You may have blocked return lines, failing injectors and or pump.

YNOT
6th January 2012, 06:51 PM
Dont forget your higher boost to mate, the higher your boost, the more fuel is thrown in to compensate, may be worth a fiddle around with.

Not with older diesels like gqt has, GQ RD28 is not computer controlled so the boost and fuel can be adjusted independently of each other. Although a proper tune would obviously be better the way he has described adjusting the fuel is about right, diesels run cooler when they are lean.

Tony

YNOT
6th January 2012, 06:53 PM
your money will be better spent on the diesel

Those who have done the conversion would argue otherwise.

Tony

gqt
8th February 2012, 06:16 PM
Ah forgot to update. Haven't been on here in a while.

Got 712km out of 95L. Chucked $20 bucks in the day before filling up of the work card before someone asks if I ran the tank dry.

And that was the 200:1 mix of 2 stroke. Injector cleaner. And dropped the exhaust as I'm now positive at least one of the mufflers in it is cactus and blocked to the buggery.

Matt

joelogozzo
9th February 2012, 12:58 PM
I just got my GU and its running at 11.5 per 100 .