PDA

View Full Version : Bribie Trip short notice

Silver
27th December 2011, 09:28 AM
G'day

We are planning to take a look at Bribie beach and the inland track today.

The aim is to have a look, maybe allow the billy lid to splash around in the lagoon and maybe have a short fish to keep the billy lid happy :-)

Please read AB's thread on here about conditions for these trips - I'm just going - not leading, and don't hold myself out as having any particular expertise (some might say I should say I have none :-) ) and we all come along at our own risk.

A permit is required for the beach trip - available on line from the DERM site - I just googled Bribie Beach Permit and went from there

High tide is about 9:40 and low about 4:20.

DERM site has a park alert that from Christmas Eve that says that due to swell conditions beach driving may be restricted and the lagoon crossings may be open. From what I have read, the second lagoon crossing, if open, needs to be done on the way back down the beach within an hour of low tide. I also understand that the water in those crossings may have been salt/brackish when they were last open.

There is an inland track which, if open, means that we don't need to worry about the lagoon crossings on the way back. It was closed this time last year, but the park alert does not say that the inland track is closed, so I assume it is open.

We aim to leave the bitumen at the beach access track at Noon, and I'll check on here a bit before 11:00 to see if anyone else is coming.

UHF CH17.

Rick

Bigrig
27th December 2011, 09:46 AM
Would love to, but it's somewhat a hike from where I am currently!!

Have a great day!!

Silver
27th December 2011, 10:17 AM
Would love to, but it's somewhat a hike from where I am currently!!

Have a great day!!

Yeah, should have given you a couple more hours notice :-)

Silver
27th December 2011, 11:16 AM
It seems that Mooloolaba tides are a bit earlier than Bribie Ocean beach - go figure! anyway, the voice of experience, O4OFF reckons we'll be fine with the Noon kick off.

We'll be heading off shortly -UHF Ch17 when we get there

Rick

04OFF
27th December 2011, 11:21 AM
Will see ya there @ noon Rick, just be me and the boy tho :smile:

robbo0001
27th December 2011, 02:20 PM
Sorry I missed this.
Actually heading to Bribie tomorrow with 2 ruggies and the Missus, give the new awning a workout and see how the 2.8TD handles some sand.
If you guys do the inland track, could you post up the conditions?
Dont wanna get hung up somewhere tomorrow, have done it before a few times, and it can get pretty hairy when you travel alone.

macca86
27th December 2011, 03:28 PM
bugger I would have came if I saw this as I'm in brisbane this week. anyone keen for something tomorrow if not I'll head out for a shoot

Silver
27th December 2011, 11:16 PM
Sorry for the late notice Macca and Robbo, it was a bit of a spur of the moment thing.

Edit: I don't know for sure that there is a place on the beach, apart from the campsites, that won't have some water over them at high tide on the big tide of the day - and because of the step up to the dune, there aren't too many places to go - not that we are supposed to be on the dunes. And maybe even on the little tide - but I don't think so.

Robbo, we assisted in the recovery of a couple of RAVs on the inland track - who got stuck in what seemed like more straight forward terrain than they had previously got through. To be fair, one was preparing to snatch the other before he too got stuck. Clearance for sure, and both were first timers.

We have a standard height Mav on 10Rs, let down to 20. 04OFF has a lift and something R16s. Steve did not let his tyres down, and next time we probably won't either. We had no problem on the inland track, and I think you'll do it OK. If something does go awry, and a bit of shovel work and a push doesn't do it, stand there with snatch strap in hand and no doubt you won't have to wait long for some traffic.

You'll need to watch the tides on the beach a bit, as at high tide it comes right up to a metre ledge stepping up to the dunes. We hit the beach just under an hour after high tide per Woorim times and stopped to have a splash around in second lagoon for a while - no problems getting through but did need to watch the waves a bit when ducking around trees - certainly no driving in water required. I guess high tide would be around 12:15pm tomorrow. None of the lagoons were draining across the beach today.

They had RBT and speed cameras and rangers checking permits on the beach - not that any of us would neet to worry about non compliance with that stuff (although it takes me a lot of concentration to drive at 30!! :-) )

Thanks for the company O4OFF, and love those Christmas mods!!! Especially the sound effects and animation :-)

macca86
28th December 2011, 07:22 AM
souds fun guys. last time I was at bribie the inland track had serious soft sand and spent ages pulling out other vehicles. was a good day.

Silver
28th December 2011, 10:23 AM
Had a great time seeing the sights, including some WW11 concrete structures – search light, observation points and a fort, all falling into the ocean.

It was interesting to see pipe fittings that would now be plastic beautifully made in white porcelain eg 3/4” electrical cable fittings.

These links provide more info

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=bribie%20island%20military%20history&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ozatwar.com%2Fozatwar%2Ffortb ribie.htm&ei=s076TpTlFISQiAfH99mFAQ&usg=AFQjCNHf-YnDItO7LHB67zdSz-ooFF1aNg

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=bribie%20island%20military%20history&source=web&cd=5&sqi=2&ved=0CEMQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.epa.qld.gov.au%2Fchims%2Fplac eDetail.html%3FsiteId%3D15915&ei=s076TpTlFISQiAfH99mFAQ&usg=AFQjCNExVQvaTiEjAtE0ZR_tc9ID3nx8kg

04OFF
28th December 2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks for a really great afternoon Silver, will have to do it again soon ! :thumbup:

I put a couple of pics from the day in my pic thread here.....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?3822-04OFF-pics&p=176093#post176093

robbo0001
29th December 2011, 03:02 PM
Silver thanks for the detalied reply mate...:thumbup:

We rolled through yesterday, got up there 2 hours before high tide and set up at the first lagoon.
Had 4 hours there,swimming with kids then nailed it up the beach an hour after high tide. Convinced the Missus to go the inland track, and the 2.8TD pulled through no worries. I had aired down to 20psi with the mud Maxxis...and it was high range 3rd gear most of the way. I did drop it into low range 4th for a bit, just to have a play.

All traffic was heading towards the beach, no-one else headed out bound. N boggings, no dramas thankfully.

Grabbed a year pass....figure on getting up there as much a possible, this year.

Silver
29th December 2011, 06:03 PM
Silver thanks for the detalied reply mate...:thumbup:

We rolled through yesterday, got up there 2 hours before high tide and set up at the first lagoon.
Had 4 hours there,swimming with kids then nailed it up the beach an hour after high tide. Convinced the Missus to go the inland track, and the 2.8TD pulled through no worries. I had aired down to 20psi with the mud Maxxis...and it was high range 3rd gear most of the way. I did drop it into low range 4th for a bit, just to have a play.

All traffic was heading towards the beach, no-one else headed out bound. N boggings, no dramas thankfully.

Grabbed a year pass....figure on getting up there as much a possible, this year.

No worries Dave, sounds like you had a great day!

The Cook
2nd January 2012, 01:10 PM
Hi,

Finally got some photos sorted from the trip to Bribie. Even took some photos in "manual" mode (thanks Steve!). These are my first attempts at sunset photos . . .

Billy Lid had a ball - can't wait to go back apparently. Great day out and so close to home. Trip up on the highway was a bit yuck - too many Brisbanites on their way out. Trip home was a breeze !

Was great to get on the sand - the lagoons were kid friendly and not too cold. Look forward to another trip . . .

Sir Roofy
2nd January 2012, 01:57 PM
looking good mate keep up the
good work

04OFF
2nd January 2012, 05:15 PM
Nice work Fran !