PDA

View Full Version : 33 on a 2.8 patrol 97 rx

jurdy93
22nd December 2011, 09:44 PM
hey guys i need new tyers i have a 2.5 inch lift and i was looking at 33s.
But i was wondering how much does it change the power and fuel.
its not so much the fuel its more the power for everyday driving.
does it afect low rang with first gear crawling.

can anyone answer my question thanx.

growler2058
22nd December 2011, 09:54 PM
Mate go for it in my opinion you wont notice stuff all difference

jurdy93
22nd December 2011, 10:00 PM
i was just wondering because some people say you wont notic it and then some people say its like pulling a loaded tralier
i wish some one could just tell me wat diffrence they made to there truck.

growler2058
22nd December 2011, 10:11 PM
Mines a td42 so thats why i didnt make a comment, but i noticed absolutely nuthing mate not a thing going from 31 to 33 i think the issues may only start when you go 35's and need your low range for serious rocks etc i have done some rocks and climbs and descents and its been fine.....touch wood :-)

jurdy93
22nd December 2011, 10:15 PM
thanx for the help mate.
it just one person says one thing and soneone eles says another
the last thing i want to do it buy 33 then hate it because its lost heaps
of power the old 2.8 has been worked but she still no street mechine lol

growler2058
22nd December 2011, 10:21 PM
thanx for the help mate.
it just one person says one thing and soneone eles says another
the last thing i want to do it buy 33 then hate it because its lost heaps
of power the old 2.8 has been worked but she still no street mechine lol

Mate i didnt go 35's for this reason and now am kicking myself for not doin it and my speedos out only by about 2kmh according to the gps. If id known it was gunna be so minute i woulda hit the 35's, i dont rekon youd have any dramas hopefully someone with a 2.8 can give some advice

Edit: PS 4"lift

jurdy93
22nd December 2011, 10:25 PM
i hope sonmeone can shed some light on this for me
thanx for the help anyway

Clunk
22nd December 2011, 10:39 PM
i hope sonmeone can shed some light on this for me
thanx for the help anyway

hang tight I'm sure someone will be able to help................. getting 33's on mine after the new year but mines a 4.2 petrol, so as Growler said...... not sure if it'll make much difference.

I know it's not a Patrol but i used to have a Xtrail, 2.5ltr 4cyl petrol, standard tyres were 215x65x16, replaced them with 235x70x16............. giving an extra 2inches in diameter........... I did notice the car wasn't as quick in acceleration but still pulled ok............ the missus didn't notice a thing!!!!!! lol

robbo0001
22nd December 2011, 11:31 PM
Mate, I have a 2.8TD GU with upsized 33s (285/75/18 Maxxis Bighorn)...
NO difference.
1st gear is still as short as it normally is, speedo is pretty much perfect at 100 on the highway.
Offroad....awesome.
More clearance, better grip (on muddies).
I just put a cheap ar$e AT 33" on for the spare today, fits perfectly without reversing the rim, unlike a 35" tyre..

Its not a sports car, but low range and aired down....the 2.8TD loves 33 inch tyres

Benefits of larger tyres...more clearance, possible better grip, defnately a bigger footprint.

If your happy with a "possibly" slower car (by butt dyno)...go for it.
In low range...who cares about over all speed? Gearing, tyre pressure and driver skill will do more than engine size.

jurdy93
22nd December 2011, 11:42 PM
thanx for the help i think my mind is made up with the 33s
:)

GQ33QLD
28th December 2011, 08:52 PM
Mate I fitted Maxis BH 33s and alls good overall, lost a bit on take off on a hill with a car trailer on, (had to really slip the clutch out to get going) but they cruise well , speedo it out by around 10% though,just keep it in mind because its easy on the open road to let her get away on you.
'97 GQ 2.8 TD 3" up & 33" Maxis Big Horns.