PDA

View Full Version : Storage on Cargo Barrier.

Silver
17th December 2011, 12:10 AM
Saw a fascinating thing last Sunday out at Ripley - the rifle range not the tracks.

Being a rifle range, all there have had some idea of safety drilled into them and most pride themselves on demonstrating care and responsibility.

This particular bloke had a lovely black powder long arm - so was obviously prepared to go that extra step to get maximum satisfaction in his chosen pursuits.

Despite that, I noticed he had gone to a great deal of trouble to neatly mount a fire extinguisher on the cabin side of a cargo barrier, at head height. Directly behind the passenger seat. Maybe he knows more about the mounting systems for those fire extinguishers than I do, I thought.

Then I looked across to see what he had mounted on the driver's side, again on the cabin side, and again at head height................ a dolphin torch in the standard clip mount they come in. I know that clip mount well and I wouldn't be relying on one to restrain a dolphin containing a 6 volt lantern battery.

Am I missing something here? His third interesting choice was to drive a Cruiser, but it was a well loved Cruiser and I'm sure it will bring him and his passengers lots of fun until they come to a sudden stop.

It all must have made sense to him, but I just don't get it.

patch697
17th December 2011, 01:11 AM
You "just don't get it" mate because its a stupidly dangerous thing to do.

He could kill himself or anyone else in the car with things like that mounted in the places he has them.

Maybe you should point that out to him when next you see him & know that if he moves them, you've just quite possibly saved someones life.

jimmyjam
17th December 2011, 01:15 AM
Like you said, he chose to drive a cruiser...

I was told years ago, imagine your car balanced vertically on its nose, then imagine the items in the back of your car falling.
THEN multiply the fall rate by about 50!

rottodiver
17th December 2011, 09:10 AM
I would love to have a cargo barrier in mine but can't seem to get one with blackwidow drawers and 80 litre engell on a drop slide!!! :(

Silver
17th December 2011, 10:32 AM
You "just don't get it" mate because its a stupidly dangerous thing to do.

He could kill himself or anyone else in the car with things like that mounted in the places he has them.

Maybe you should point that out to him when next you see him & know that if he moves them, you've just quite possibly saved someones life.

Yeah, I thought about asking what extra methods he was relying on to keep the extinguisher and torch in place, just to be polite because I could see none..... but he was in a hurry and I was a bit pu22led by it all as it looked so obviously wrong, but he looked like a bloke who thought things through.

I will ask next time I see him, if ever :-). Maybe he was relying on the head rest and seat to protect? Dunno.................

jimmyjam
17th December 2011, 11:28 AM
I'm considering making/modifying one for my GQ. I alternate between needing the rear seats and need the full back length for long equipment, so I'm thinking something that's relatively easy to move. Anyone done this?
The other stupid thing I've seen done with cargo barriers was mounting a window breaker/ seatbelt cutter on the BACK of it...

Silver
17th December 2011, 04:16 PM
I'm considering making/modifying one for my GQ. I alternate between needing the rear seats and need the full back length for long equipment, so I'm thinking something that's relatively easy to move. Anyone done this?
The other stupid thing I've seen done with cargo barriers was mounting a window breaker/ seatbelt cutter on the BACK of it...

I can see why you'd think it was a silly idea to mount the window breaker on the cargo side of the barrier, esp if you don't have central locking. However, the reason it is located on the cargo side is that people have been locked into the cargo area on hot days, and have been unable to escape. Don't ask me how! but they have.

04OFF
17th December 2011, 10:16 PM
I can see why you'd think it was a silly idea to mount the window breaker on the cargo side of the barrier, esp if you don't have central locking. However, the reason it is located on the cargo side is that people have been locked into the cargo area on hot days, and have been unable to escape. Don't ask me how! but they have.

Exactly right Silver, however, remember, a lot of wagons don't have a door handle on the inside of the cargo area like a Patrol does, and worse, most wagons are a lift tailgate, so when the struts are weak, the door can slam shut, locking someone inside to perish.

I mounted my extinguisher on the back of my cargo barrier, but as i have a window in the centre, you can also reach through from the back seat and grab it easy if you need to, i also have a extinguisher in the drivers door pocket (fire is the devil)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/cargo.jpg

nullack
18th February 2012, 02:29 PM
Revolution race gear sell high g force clamps for this sort of stuff, very strong mounts