PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel spinning while 4wd is disengaged

NissanGQ4.2
14th December 2011, 09:22 PM
My dad the other day tried doing a stall test on his 91 GQ ( auto ) and the rear and front drivers side wheels started 2 spin, He has auto hubs which where in the auto position.

Which one would likely 2 be having issues...... the auto hubs or transfer case?

Cheers

Todd

patch697
14th December 2011, 09:25 PM
I'd be thinking the transfer case mate cos if its in 2wd & your getting drive to the front axles then there's something a miss there for sure.

Look at the selector first off as there's not much that can go wrong inside a transfer case itself.

NissanGQ4.2
14th December 2011, 09:29 PM
I'd be thinking the transfer case mate cos if its in 2wd & your getting drive to the front axles then there's something a miss there for sure.

thanks mate, yeh at first he thought auto hub but then he thought about it some more and decided must be an issue with the transfer case, he just wanted a second opinion before he starts ripping things apart

canuck
16th December 2011, 07:16 AM
It is a fairly well known issue with the t-case and auto hubs using standard 80W90 gear oil. The gear oil caused enough drag to turn the drive shaft and to engage the auto hubs. There are few solutions.

1) replace auto hubs with manual hubs
2) mod auto hubs to only be manual hubs (there are a couple threads on this in that other Patrol forum)
patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/hubs-converting-autos-manual-6524/
3) put in a synthetic oil - like Redline MTL
4) or put in ATF (this is what Nissan decided as the solution with post 91 models)

In my auto, I run the same ATF in the Tcase and Tranny. On my 5 spd, I run Redline in both the Tcase and Tranny.

NOTE: DIRECT LINKS HAVE BEEN REMOVED DUE TO PATROL4X4's VIRUS PROBLEMS, ENTERING THE ABOVE LINK INTO YOUR BROWSER YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK

KIND REGARDS

FORUM MANAGEMENT

MudRunnerTD
16th December 2011, 08:49 AM
^^^ Great post! hope is sorts out Tod's problem. Cheers

Silver
16th December 2011, 10:37 AM
Funny, one of the conversations last night at the Christmas party Scott and Sandra hosted last night was Patrol problems.

Some present said they were not problems, they were features - Power Windows, Aircon, and then pick next - 5th gear shaft problems, early 3 litre problems, TB42 head problems at high ks were all described as 'features'.

I kinda struggled with seeing any of those as 'features'. A viscous coupled part time full time 4wd system might however be classed as a feature :-)

patch697
16th December 2011, 11:59 AM
It is a fairly well known issue with the t-case and auto hubs using standard 80W90 gear oil. The gear oil caused enough drag to turn the drive shaft and to engage the auto hubs. There are few solutions.

2) mod auto hubs to only be manual hubs (there are a couple threads on this in that other Patrol forum: patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/hubs-converting-autos-manual-6524/
4) or put in ATF (this is what Nissan decided as the solution with post 91 models)

In my auto, I run the same ATF in the Tcase and Tranny. On my 5 spd, I run Redline in both the Tcase and Tranny.

^^^ Great post! hope is sorts out Tod's problem. Cheers

Although whats posted in the quotes above is good factual info, I was under the impression Todd's dad was stall testing he's Rig there for it should have had all 4 wheels on the ground & that theory wouldn't apply.

Can you confirm this for us please Todd?

NissanGQ4.2
16th December 2011, 10:29 PM

2) mod auto hubs to only be manual hubs (there are a couple threads on this in that other Patrol forum

Thanks for the post :)

He uses ATF in his Gearbox and Transfer case, Its the same oil I run in my 92 GQ Gearbox and Transfer case ( No probs for me so far ). I don't see it as an auto hub issue and my old man doesn't really use his 4b as a off road machine so don't see any real need to convert 2 manual hubs or mod the auto hubs 2 be manual.

Modding the auto hubs to manual can also be found on this forum here: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?596-Fixing-GQ-GU-auto-hubs&highlight=auto+hubs

Thanks 2 Tony ( Ynot ) for that usefull post. I have modded my auto hubs over to manual :)

Although whats posted in the quotes above is good factual info, I was under the impression Todd's dad was stall testing he's Rig there for it should have had all 4 wheels on the ground & that theory wouldn't apply.

Can you confirm this for us please Todd?

Spot on Paul, all four wheels on ground stall testing, seen the marks on his driveway this arvo where both rear and front passenger wheels spun.

patch697
16th December 2011, 10:36 PM
Spot on Paul, all four wheels on ground stall testing, seen the marks on his driveway this arvo where both rear and front passenger wheels spun.

Head for the Tcase mate as a starting point.

NissanGQ4.2
16th December 2011, 10:45 PM
Head for the Tcase mate as a starting point.

Thanks mate, sending you a PM

Silver
16th December 2011, 11:56 PM
Someone has to ask, and it might as well be me.

Plenty have thought they were in 4x4 high, but had not moved the short lever............. could this be the opposite situation?

canuck
17th December 2011, 09:18 AM

I missed that. I agree, the issue is not likely the hubs. If you are sure the gear selector is out of 4H and the linkage is okay, then it is likely a tcase issue. When last did he have it in 4WD?

NissanGQ4.2
17th December 2011, 09:25 AM
Someone has to ask, and it might as well be me.

Plenty have thought they were in 4x4 high, but had not moved the short lever............. could this be the opposite situation?

hahahaha, I had a day sorta like that, went out for a play with some mates, was tired as and shouldn't of been driving. On the way out we had 2 recross a river crossing which has a very rocky bottom........I got stuck halfway across! reverse forward reverse... I was going nowhere. My mate started 2 walk across the river which was freezing cold 2 hook up the snatch, then one of my other mates yells out..........Put it into 4wd.....I looked at the dash, sure enough 4x4 light not on......mmmm I'm sure I had engaged 4wd, sure enough I hadn't :( Done the river crossing on the way in and all the tracks in 2wd, mind you the tracks weren't that hard :)

My mate that walked into the river swore and cursed me for a few secs then had a good laugh, glad he found the funny side of it all.

Lever in correct position, but as Paul has advised the selector is worth a look, as my Dad has a feeling its been like this since he has had the 4b

Cheers

Todd

NissanGQ4.2
17th December 2011, 02:31 PM
I missed that. I agree, the issue is not likely the hubs. If you are sure the gear selector is out of 4H and the linkage is okay, then it is likely a tcase issue. When last did he have it in 4WD?

Gear selector is out of 4H/4L but still need 2 check the linkage. Not sure when he had it engaged last, but considering he doesn't use his 4wd as a 4wd I would assume a while ago.