PDA

View Full Version : I'm not good at introductions...tend to waffle too long.

Roo72
30th August 2010, 10:13 PM
Hello,
I found this forum with a whimsical google search for Nissan Patrol....just to see what else was out there as I thought I'd found every forum to in my quest for more tasty snippets of golden info. well whadda ya you know, here's one I missed. looks to have a few familiar names, seems well laid out, and so far I've found some interesting threads to look through further and, soon enough, add some input to.

I have a 98' GU 2.8 that I'm still not sure if I'll keep or flick in favour of a 4.2 ute....I may even go back to the dark side and get a toyota....sorry folks but yes, I am a recovering Toyota addict. That said...the GU is really comfy and has a tough reputation but since purchasing my circumstances have changed from needing a cheap second car/4x4/tow vehicle for a small boat and some camping gear, to selling up for a 2 year( I would say no time limit but thats not a reality) tour of this great land and its fishing holes, camping sites, beaches, deserts, mountains, forests, never never and everything in between....if I get a chance. I hope to hit the tracks middle of 2011, travel for as long as the travel fund lasts and If we(themissus and I) find somewhere that takes our fancy...we may settle down there for a while. The less we spend on a rig....the longer we travel though we may do some work:1087: to supplement the funds...if we have to....but rather keep it simple and just travel as light as feasible. I wanna take a boat but the logistics are difficult...unless I really flog the budget and get an F-truck....Have seen a few of these getting around with the kitchen sink in the back and an aircraft carrier on the roof racks. I'm more keen on a ute with a camper trailer in tow and boat up top(a good bed is not to be discounted when long term touring). I have a great touring tent but bedding is so bulky that a camper is starting to become a likely prospect, even if we have to ditch it to access the hard to get places.

anyway, as the title suggests...waffling now, too late and too tired. Seeya all tomorrow.

Cheers, Roo.

patch697
30th August 2010, 10:37 PM
HAHAHAHAH....... G/day Roo & welcome to the forum mate, im glad you found us.

Top plans you have going on, thats the life im sure quite a few if us would wish for.

You'll find us a good friendly bunch here (just a pack of funny buggers really) & theirs plenty of info here to so enjoy the reading & feel free to join in anytime.

Cheers
Paul

RustyNails
30th August 2010, 10:52 PM
Keep the GU 2.8
Welcome along

Paul

Finly Owner
30th August 2010, 11:07 PM
well

Hi

there

Roo

a
n
d

bloody

welcome

from

T
i
m

did i stretch it out enough?

AB
31st August 2010, 08:06 AM
Welcome to the forum Roo, feel free to waffle on mate and ask any questions, It's all good!

Maxhead
31st August 2010, 12:03 PM
Welcome aboard Roo, great intro

Roo72
31st August 2010, 06:20 PM
thanks Guys. Looking forward to contributing where I can.

Rusty, I would keep the 2.8 if I could be sure it would manage ok with all the crap I wanna take....It probably would be just fine but a ute would make more sense for storage space and the low down luggin torque the bigger diesel can produce...the poor old 2.8 needs a good run up with a load on and a couple of bits of canvas over the headlights so the poor thing wont see the hills comin'. ;-)

harls
31st August 2010, 06:43 PM
G'day Roo,
I myself and a newbie here, so from a newbie to another newbie.
Welcome.
Harls

RustyNails
1st September 2010, 05:48 PM
thanks Guys. Looking forward to contributing where I can.

Rusty, I would keep the 2.8 if I could be sure it would manage ok with all the crap I wanna take....It probably would be just fine but a ute would make more sense for storage space and the low down luggin torque the bigger diesel can produce...the poor old 2.8 needs a good run up with a load on and a couple of bits of canvas over the headlights so the poor thing wont see the hills comin'. ;-)

Hey Roo.
Like everything in life you need to find the right comprimise.
Utes fit a lot of gear but not a lot of people.
The bigger donk gives you more torque but less fuel economy.

Good luck with your decision.
Paul

Woof
4th September 2010, 08:40 PM
Welcome mate, enjoy the forum

DX grunt
4th September 2010, 10:35 PM
Hey Roo.
Like everything in life you need to find the right comprimise.
Utes fit a lot of gear but not a lot of people.
The bigger donk gives you more torque but less fuel economy.

Good luck with your decision.
Paul

Welcome Roo.

My ute fits heaps of gear, and is supposed to seat 3, but... really it's a 2 seater for proper adult driver/adult passenger comfort. It's hard to change gears with the 3rd person in it.

Uses more juice with the heavy pod on the back too.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt