PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Boost in RD28

Shaunous
13th December 2011, 03:30 PM
Hi Guys, Just wondering if after removing the inlet butterfly & blocking the EGR valve on the 2.8's you need to install a boost controller to lower the boost or minimise spikes.

I'm currently rebuilding my engine, and while i'm waiting for parts to be machined and so on i'm buying and installing the little extra's I want/need.

What kind of pressures are you getting after doing these basic mods, does the boost increase much in the 2.8's after doing this, and what kind of safe levels of boost are you running on your engines if you have up'd it.

Im guessing you only need dawes and needle valve for the 3.0l engines to trick the ECU, you should only need a basic controller for the 2.8's yes?

Thanks,
Shaun...

Shaunous
22nd December 2011, 07:34 PM
Guess I'll find out tomorrow...

AB
22nd December 2011, 08:52 PM
Shame mate, I'm sorry none of our 2.8 owners can help you on this.

Hopefully someone see's this now and helps you out mate.

rkinsey
22nd December 2011, 09:26 PM
Hey Shamus,

Im run an RD28T but im running stock standard. Dint know you could tweak the little beastie.

Sorry I cant help mate.

Ynot might be able to shed some light though.

Cheers,

Rob

Shaunous
22nd December 2011, 10:33 PM
All good men, gauges turned up late today, didn't think they were coming, going to wack them in tomorrow, completed rebuild on engine and installed today, started up all good. Take her on its maiden voyage tomorrow under some load.

Cheers,
Shaun..

robbo0001
22nd December 2011, 11:44 PM
Shaunus, currently lookiing into this myself.
The stock boost on the 2.8TD is 9-11 PSI apparently, and can apparently handle a safe 14psi boost.
The engine and turbo appear to be pretty efficient on our rig, and since installing Boost and Pyro I am yet to see any massive fluctuations.
I have cleand intercooler, removed the intercooler butterfly and blocked the EGR. Also installed a catch can.
Currently looking at a simple in-line boost controller...installed right where I have "teed" off the boost guage pipework.
Then wind the boost up to 13 for a month or 2...see what happens.

If all goes well...fuel adjustment via a Donator box

LINK...http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1730-2.8-3.0-Diesel-Chips!

Get your guages installed, drive it for a week or two in all conditions...work out your engines health, at least you have a "start point' for any mods or repairs.

Shaunous
30th December 2011, 08:33 AM
Shaunus, currently lookiing into this myself.
The stock boost on the 2.8TD is 9-11 PSI apparently, and can apparently handle a safe 14psi boost.
The engine and turbo appear to be pretty efficient on our rig, and since installing Boost and Pyro I am yet to see any massive fluctuations.
I have cleand intercooler, removed the intercooler butterfly and blocked the EGR. Also installed a catch can.
Currently looking at a simple in-line boost controller...installed right where I have "teed" off the boost guage pipework.
Then wind the boost up to 13 for a month or 2...see what happens.

If all goes well...fuel adjustment via a Donator box

LINK...http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1730-2.8-3.0-Diesel-Chips!

Get your guages installed, drive it for a week or two in all conditions...work out your engines health, at least you have a "start point' for any mods or repairs.

Hi Robbo,
Yeh mine runs well and no spikes or anything, have taken it for 2 fairly big runs, one of which had a range involved, today again I am going on another fairly big run with a range in the middle.

Highest boost i get is 8psi under full load, and the hottest I got it was up hill with poor gear selection but got it to 550degree's, my pyro is only 1 inch from the turbine, so im getting as accurate results as you can and fast. It cruises at 6.5psi on the highway and 300-350 degree's.

How does yours compare to mine mate, I'll probably get a boost controller and bring the boost up to 10psi when i get back from work next shift.

Cheers,
Shaun...

YNOT
30th December 2011, 09:23 AM
RD28 has a wastegated turbo so only needs a basic type boost controller. Removing/blocking EGR etc should have no effect on boost, it's only the ZD30's with their VNT turbo's and electronically controlled boost that suffer boost spikes after these mods.

Tony

Shaunous
30th December 2011, 09:49 AM
RD28 has a wastegated turbo so only needs a basic type boost controller. Removing/blocking EGR etc should have no effect on boost, it's only the ZD30's with their VNT turbo's and electronically controlled boost that suffer boost spikes after these mods.

Tony

Yeh I did think the boost might come up a bit after blocking the EGR but I spose it's only going to get to full boost quicker rather then get any higher...

Shaunous
30th December 2011, 09:52 AM
Oh and yeh I realise it will only need a basic boost controller, fancy looking ricer anadized one, then painted matt black so you cant notice it as much :thumbup:

YNOT
30th December 2011, 09:55 AM
Faster boost response is one of the benefits of blocking the EGR, the faster the turbo comes up on boost the earlier you start to make decent power.

Is yours a GQ or GU?

Tony

Shaunous
30th December 2011, 09:57 AM
Faster boost response is one of the benefits of blocking the EGR, the faster the turbo comes up on boost the earlier you start to make decent power.

Is yours a GQ or GU?

Tony

Hey Tony,

1998 GU

Cheers,
Shaun...

gqt
30th December 2011, 05:33 PM
Little manual boost controller. I've got a cheap one of eBay and it works perfectly fine. Winding the fuel up I found will turn your boost up though. Had my 15psi over boost valve open yesterday. Which let me know I got oil inside my inlet manifold lol, now splattered on the front of the inlet manifold is oil haha.

Shaunous
30th December 2011, 07:20 PM
Little manual boost controller. I've got a cheap one of eBay and it works perfectly fine. Winding the fuel up I found will turn your boost up though. Had my 15psi over boost valve open yesterday. Which let me know I got oil inside my inlet manifold lol, now splattered on the front of the inlet manifold is oil haha.

Parden my ignorance gqt, but what is an overboost valve?

Shaun...

YNOT
30th December 2011, 07:28 PM
Parden my ignorance gqt, but what is an overboost valve?

Shaun...

Shown circled in red in the bottom right corner;

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/RD282.jpg

It's a pressure relief valve to protect the engine from overboosting.

Tony

Shaunous
30th December 2011, 11:21 PM
Shown circled in red in the bottom right corner;

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/RD282.jpg

It's a pressure relief valve to protect the engine from overboosting.

Tony

Is that a 1997 or previous, cause i ain't got one of them :)

YNOT
30th December 2011, 11:28 PM
No intercooler so it's a GQ (pre 1997).

Tony

gqt
31st December 2011, 12:07 AM
Wow that's a clean engine bay, and yeah mine did this.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc145/wpn_vl/gqt/d1d94b70.jpg

pngboy45
13th May 2012, 09:01 PM
Hi there gqt, just wondering how you wound the fuel up. I have same engine as yours with EGR just about to be blocked. Any info would be good brudda.

micko69
1st July 2013, 11:43 PM
I've got a 98 gu 2.8td running 20pound not much use winding boost up unless you get a chip as the pump only flows a certain amount of fuel so it doesn't get anymore power until chiped up

Shaunous
2nd July 2013, 06:35 AM
I've got a 98 gu 2.8td running 20pound not much use winding boost up unless you get a chip as the pump only flows a certain amount of fuel so it doesn't get anymore power until chiped up

Good lord, thats some inlet pressure!