PDA

View Full Version : GPS Maps and Software

Dhuck
13th December 2011, 09:32 AM
I have come across a site for your needs Maps and Software (http://www.navitotal.com/forums/forum.php). Came across it as I have just purchased a Chinese GPS. I have Garmin, iGo Primo and OziExplorer installed and running. They do not have the OziExplorer stuff on that site you need to go to the OziExplorer site (http://www.oziexplorer.com/).

The only downside with OziExplorer/OziExplorerCE that I have so far come up with (apart from learning how to use it) is you need to use the Chinese GPS units like a Hema Navigator. The instructions for that can be found HERE (http://www.oziexplorer3.com/ozice/faq_hema_navigator.html)

patch697
13th December 2011, 09:41 AM
Your a star Dhuck......... That looks like a ripper site/forum.

Cheers Mate.

megatexture
6th March 2012, 11:32 PM
any1 had any luck with this site its bloody annoying to use

oncedisturbed
7th March 2012, 02:12 AM
Can also got gpspassion they have heaps of good info there as well

TimE
7th March 2012, 10:10 AM
Another good site is fixmygps (http://www.fixmygps.info/forum)

All sorts of good stuff available there.

HammerBuilder
18th April 2012, 09:34 PM
Free Garmin maps I found on the pirate bay website for mapping all over the world
great freebies if you trip round n take your gps everywhere with you

modustollens
18th April 2012, 10:18 PM
Free Garmin maps I found on the pirate bay website for mapping all over the world
great freebies if you trip round n take your gps everywhere with you

I Have used the maps from the pirate bay and they work great. Openstreetmaps is a great source for free maps too and these are often better than the garmin made maps.

There is also a garmin firmware hack out allowing one to load an unlimited amount of custom maps. Google 'garmin jnx firware hack' and you will find all the information you need.

Post a message to me if you need help.

MT

teno45
18th May 2012, 11:00 PM
I have come across a site for your needs Maps and Software (http://www.navitotal.com/forums/forum.php). Came across it as I have just purchased a Chinese GPS. I have Garmin, iGo Primo and OziExplorer installed and running. They do not have the OziExplorer stuff on that site you need to go to the OziExplorer site (http://www.oziexplorer.com/).

The only downside with OziExplorer/OziExplorerCE that I have so far come up with (apart from learning how to use it) is you need to use the Chinese GPS units like a Hema Navigator. The instructions for that can be found HERE (http://www.oziexplorer3.com/ozice/faq_hema_navigator.html)

Hey mate, tried using this site a few times, can't get anything to work for me. Any tips or hints? I've got Ozi explorer working with shonky maps. Was hoping to get gamin or igo working as well.

Cheers, Teno

Dhuck
19th May 2012, 07:09 AM
What is the gps unit you are trying to install them on

BigMav
19th May 2012, 07:48 AM
Anyone willing to share some detailed 1:25000 maps for queensland to use in ozi? Sunmap are selling some but I am reluctant to spend $140 on maps that are up to 20 years old. I have all hema maps but they are mostly 1:250000 except for some national parks.

teno45
19th May 2012, 02:44 PM
What is the gps unit you are trying to install them on

Its an ebay job, Eonon 1026. similar to... tthis (http://www.ebay.com/itm/D2208-Eonon-7-Digital-Screen-TV-Car-iPod-Player-3D-interface-CD-DVD-Player-/261004956534?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc51b9376&vxp=mtr)

BigMav
21st May 2012, 06:10 PM
Should be fine to run igo primo or any other windows ce based program with that unit mate. What exactly is or isn't it doing? I've got Igo Primo and Oziexplorer on my unit and looking at the memory map program at the moment. It will be a fully fledged Hema navigator clone. lol.

teno45
21st May 2012, 07:04 PM
I have tried a couple garmin programs that just dont load. I select the file to load and nothing happens. Finally managed to download an iGo program. Seems to be working. Just need to work out the GPS... has frozen on me two out of the three times I've started it.
Where did you find the memory maps for it?

Edit: After a few hours going back and forth between the computer and the car, it looks like I have memory map with the HEMA demo maps, and iGo working!

Now to find some nice topo maps... Cheers for your help mate.

BigMav
22nd May 2012, 09:18 PM
Glad you got it sorted out, now to find some maps!

start here:

http://www.austech.info/tomtom/71712-off-road-maps-hema-so.html

You'll need to become a member and it is worth buying some time on the download site as it takes forever but I got em all downloaded and most of it is really good. Just wish I could find some more detailed maps of queensland.

Dave Holio
12th September 2012, 05:28 PM
i know it sounds like a weird ?? but whats a good gps map ap for an iphone - andriod , ive try'd a few but just wanting to know what you guys/gals are using

the evil twin
12th September 2012, 07:54 PM
i know it sounds like a weird ?? but whats a good gps map ap for an iphone - andriod , ive try'd a few but just wanting to know what you guys/gals are using

Ozi for Android... for your raster maps it is streets ahead, literally...

P.S. love your Avatar

AB
12th September 2012, 08:18 PM
Ozi for Android... for your raster maps it is streets ahead, literally...

P.S. love your Avatar

ET. Am I right in assuming that Ozi has not yet bought it out to be compatible with the Ipad yet?

If they ever will?

Not sure how up to date their site is thats all.

Android

Development is in progress, we have released the 1st Beta version.

OziExplorer for Android page is here.

Apple iPhone and iPad

We have purchased the necessary equipment and developer license.

Development of the iPhone and iPad versions will accelerate when the Android version has been released as a beta as the iPhone version will share some of the same "c" code and algorithms.

Windows Phone 7

We are looking into this and will be evaluating further as more information about the new O/S and market share becomes available.

Symbian

We have no plans at this stage for a version for the Symbain O/S.

Palm

We have no plans for a version for the Palm O/S.

Blackberry

We have no plans for a version for the Blackberry.

healy
12th September 2012, 11:18 PM
Any for the iPhone?

NissanGQ4.2
13th September 2012, 05:32 AM
Any for the iPhone?

www.mud-maps.com/

oncedisturbed
13th September 2012, 09:43 AM
Ozi is not yet available for any Apple product. Closest you will get is the HEMA, Memory Maps or BitMap if you are looking for something like Ozi.

As NissanGQ posted, if you get the MUDMaps HD app for the Ipad, you can load it on the Iphone as well but if you get the standard version of MUDMaps for the Iphone, the screen resolution is out of whack on the Ipad. Benefit of the HD version is there are are no subscription fees unlike the standard version and all the maps are included and additional ones are available to purchase.

MUDMaps are currently trialling an updated UI and small changes to the app itself which will make the app a lot better to use and streamline some of the processes, I am currently trialling the BETA version at the moment to find any bugs before it goes to the public release

oncedisturbed
22nd September 2012, 05:51 PM
For those that are interested, the live version update of MUD-Maps is now out in-line with the IOS6 update and happy to say that MM is working very well so far, seamless map scrolling and UI is good.

Now as for the HEMA app, since IOS6 came out, the app is rubbish, very jumpy movements on map scrolling which I hope HEMA will fix as well bring in some new map updates.

Whilst comparing HEMA v WestPrint map version of the Holland Track, I have found that IMO the Westprint maps to be better detailed and not "cluttered" like the HEMA variant BUT HEMA does have some sections with more detail.

For me, running both apps will give more than enough coverage for what I need, even more-so seeing as Apple have removed Google Maps from their AppStore, MM has it now built in so there is a wide mix of map displays in the 1 app

statok
4th November 2013, 02:26 PM
Does anything this this would be worth a shot?

http://www.navmanstores.com.au/DOWNLOADS/4WD_TRACKS

NP99
4th November 2013, 03:26 PM
For the price it's good value....

statok
4th November 2013, 04:06 PM
will it work tho.

oncedisturbed
7th November 2013, 12:06 AM
if on a compatible Navman then yes it will work, the HEMA maps pack bundled witht eh Geoscience maps goes for a lot more than that so it will be a good price if it has the lot of 250K maps

Bloodyaussie
27th May 2014, 07:41 AM
A mate gave me a copy of Oziexplorer for my 7 inch chinese gps and after a bit of faffing about have got it working but cant seem to load the maps I want and find the whole interface rather challenging...

Definitely not a simple plug and play set up... very very detailed though and I think once it is mastered it would be a good bit of kit but bloody hell??

I have just about every map for Australia on it..... takes some time trying to find the right map.

mudski
11th November 2014, 12:42 PM
So I finally took the plunge and paid for Memory map. I have all the topo map loaded but its it worth getting the Hema maps too? From what I have seen the Hema maps have a bit more into of sites etc etc. I see there is an option to buy Eastern Australia for $62.99US or the Full Australia set for $139.99US. Unless theres somewhere else cheaper...

P4trol
11th November 2014, 03:16 PM
A mate gave me a copy of Oziexplorer for my 7 inch chinese gps and after a bit of faffing about have got it working but cant seem to load the maps I want and find the whole interface rather challenging...

Definitely not a simple plug and play set up... very very detailed though and I think once it is mastered it would be a good bit of kit but bloody hell??

I have just about every map for Australia on it..... takes some time trying to find the right map.

A little while ago...

But you should be able to press the up/down arrow and switch to the next detailed map/less detailed map. Or have it select the most detailed map for the current location.

I took my tablet on a commercial trip (with ozi installed). I hoped to be able to relieve the boredom by tracking the flight. It only worked at the lower altitudes though. Must be something in the programming to stop it giving weird locations on the ground.

mudski
11th November 2014, 04:10 PM
I Ozi Hema maps the same as Memory Map? Or would they work on Memory Map?

Drewboyaus
11th November 2014, 06:35 PM
I Ozi Hema maps the same as Memory Map? Or would they work on Memory Map?

The Ozi maps won't work directly with Memory Map but you can convert some of the Ozi file types to the memory map format (.qct)

Try this link:
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=86440

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

P4trol
11th November 2014, 08:41 PM
Sorry, small differences.

Two different apps that use two different map formats.

Ozi Explorer is one app available for Windows, win ce, and Android. It uses maps in the. Ozi format. You first need to by the app $25 for Android. Then you need to buy the maps and copy them to your device(s). Many types of map available.

Hema maps can be a confusing term. In one sense it is a company that sells maps. You can buy paper Hema maps (eg the Cape York one - pretty good) or the same maps are available in digital, both in Ozi format and for the memory map app.

Hema memory map is an app for both android and iphone/pad. The app is free, and you can download the maps with a free trial. Then you need a 'license' for the maps, which after activation, let's you use the maps. Memory map uses Hema maps.

mudski
11th November 2014, 09:04 PM
Yeah I won't be buying Ozi when I have just paid for Memory map. I didn't like the Ozi when I tried it...When I had the trial of Memory map I downloaded the entire map of Vic in the 250K topo. I can use the topo's now as I have the full version of Memory map, but in the app they have samples of the Hema map, though they garble them you can still see. I'm thinking it would be good to have both types.
I think I can get my hands on Hema for Ozi though. I might have to have a play around.

SG1
12th November 2014, 08:52 AM
Does anything this this would be worth a shot?

http://www.navmanstores.com.au/DOWNLOADS/4WD_TRACKS

I have this on my Navman, very basic, gives names of most tracks Ive been down. So is handy if all you have is the Navman like us but would of liked some more detail in it.

GQ TANK
13th November 2014, 11:26 PM
I use a Samsung tablet with Ozi (andriod)

With the full windows version of OZI, yo can convert any JPG map into a calibrated map you just need calibration points. I also use Mapinfo at work and can make my own maps as need.

I have also writen sorwtaer that interagates a radio and plots the singal strength on Ozi, using the ozi API interface. I have also played with oxi 3d.

Semmo
17th November 2014, 07:39 PM
G'day all
I got a factory Sat Nav in my 2009 TI, it has a SD card VDO Dayton under the seat, haven't used it much. We plan on doing the big trip in the future. Are these maps any good for off road tracks? Should I update them? Can I get different maps to work on it? Any info be great thanks.