PDA

View Full Version : Steel or Alloy

rottodiver
13th December 2011, 12:10 AM
hey guys,
something i have been trying to decide for a while now is whether to change my steel rims for alloys,
i have read so many sites on the pros and cons here, so i was wondering what everyone uses and if they would change them.
My patrol does a huge variety of off road and i run 305 cooper stts so any advice/opinions would be great here!!!!

Do alloys now days break, how many people have really had to bash their steel rims back into shape?

Scotty

growler2058
13th December 2011, 05:27 AM
I think the new age alloys are a lot better than those of old. But if iwas going remote I would stick with my steelies just in case I did have to get the lump hammer out

Bigrig
13th December 2011, 05:34 AM
I sold my alloys and went steel - mainly due to what I do so I need the option to at least pound them into some form of shape if needed as Growlers stated.

AB
13th December 2011, 10:24 AM
Right, here it is...lol

nowoolies
13th December 2011, 10:29 AM
Right, here it is...lol

here is what AB ????LOL

patch697
13th December 2011, 10:31 AM
here is what AB ????LOL

Leave him be or I'll deal with you myself...............hahahahahahah

Silver
13th December 2011, 03:57 PM
I thought I voted on this poll this morning, and put a reply up ???? must have forgotton to click a couple of buttons :-)

Anyway, steelies, Dave showed me a rim on Pigtrol that was still holding air, with a 'modified' bead. An alloy either would have brushed it off, or spat out a chunk of itself in the same circumstances I think

the godfather
13th December 2011, 04:12 PM
Steelies for me. Any never usea rattle gun to change them.

AB
13th December 2011, 05:12 PM
I thought I voted on this poll this morning, and put a reply up ???? must have forgotton to click a couple of buttons :-)

Anyway, steelies, Dave showed me a rim on Pigtrol that was still holding air, with a 'modified' bead. An alloy either would have brushed it off, or spat out a chunk of itself in the same circumstances I think

Nah I put a new poll up this morning as I received a PM from Rottodiver asking to put one up and then realised that Paul had already done one...

So....Your not going mad just yet mate....lol

Oka374
14th December 2011, 09:53 PM
Went with alloy on the Oka to reduce unsprung weight, the original split rims are very heavy. Also wanted to go to tubeless tyres and the only one piece rims available at a reasonable price are alloy.