xdzzy
30th August 2010, 09:00 PM
Hi want to know which one is better for off road? GU vs GR

Maxhead
30th August 2010, 09:25 PM
GU and Gr are same cars except the GR is for the European market i think

Finly Owner
30th August 2010, 09:38 PM
Ahhh doesn't anybody else have soft spot for older trend setter Patrols?

patch697
30th August 2010, 09:46 PM
Ahhh doesn't anybody else have soft spot for older trend setter Patrols?

I do............. Had a MQ before the Mav.

I sold it to a mate & see it all the time, still love that old beasty.

Finly Owner
30th August 2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah but nobody here is driving them.

Finlys' cousins are being pushed aside for younger prettier girls. And with their young age having bigger inplants, how can his cousins compete for the love of a dedicated owner?

Finly Owner
30th August 2010, 09:53 PM
:hijacked::hijacked::hijacked::hijacked:

Trolatron
30th August 2010, 10:14 PM
I thought a GQ and GR are the same ..

Given the same modifications to each vehicle i would imagine they boath would go the same places.
Maby with a bit more comfort in the GU.

Just my 2 bob though ive never been in a GU..

YNOT
30th August 2010, 11:06 PM
GQ, GU, GR it's getting confusing now!
Y60 (1988 to 1998) commonly known in Australia as GQ
Y61 (1998 to now) commonly known in Australia as GU.

GQ lighter and have narrower body. From my experience (I've had 2 GQ and 2 GU) these are easier to throw around on tight tracks. Factory rear LSD in rear diff is stronger than in GU.

GU bigger, heavier and wider. These have a better turning circle and stronger CV joints than GQ. GU diffs are 40mm wider than GQ.

Both have strong chassis, although there is a weakness around the rear upper spring mounts that needs to be monitered or strengthend.
Both have strong drivelines. The transfer cases and diffs are over engineered and can handle big horse power.
2 different gearboxes used depending on what engine fitted. 2.8 diesel and 3 litre petrol (GQ) have smaller alloy case gear boxes, 3 litre diesel (GU) 4.2l, 4.5l and 4.8l all use the big cast iron case gearbox.
GU steering box is stronger.

Both are good off road, comes down to budget really.

Tony

hcr83
1st October 2010, 10:26 AM
Gu's a very comfortable on and off road.

Woof
1st October 2010, 06:28 PM
Gu's a very comfortable on and off road.

Got to admit you are correct there mate, GU's are very comfortable.

Cadbury
3rd November 2010, 10:27 PM
Can some one please tell me why some 1999 GU's have grey at the bottom of the doors and grey bumpers and some do not.

Bloggsy
3rd November 2010, 10:39 PM
Can some one please tell me why some 1999 GU's have grey at the bottom of the doors and grey bumpers and some do not.

Hi Cadbury, You will probably find that around that time, the ones with the grey at the bottom were the Ti spec models (top of the range so to speak). Not sure when they changed that colour scheme, may have been around the shape change of the GUIV's.