PDA

View Full Version : mk body doesn't sit level

javas
9th December 2011, 09:44 PM
g'day i have just purchased a 84 mk swb off my brother it has 2 inch body lift and 2 inch efs spring lift witch is shit, has snaped 2 springs and many u bolts. anyway it sits very uneven it leans to the right. the chassis is 15mm different from left to right and the body is 40mm different measured to under the indicator in the body wich is the lowest part of the body and should be the same on both sides. so i'm asking does anybody know what is wrong or what mistake i have made in measuring. thanks for any help

Finly Owner
9th December 2011, 09:54 PM
Firstly let me suggest you introduce yourself in the INTRODUCTIONS thread. You'll find a lot more people will be more interested in tlaking if you follow our simple guide lines.

Secondly, Broken springs and "U" bolts will allow a sagging effect, displaying a lower look on one side.

Tim

javas
9th December 2011, 10:02 PM
ok thanks i didn't read the guide lines or anything,
and sorry i didn't explain very well the springs and u bolts have all been replaced so nothing is broken.

Finly Owner
10th December 2011, 12:29 AM
OK, what about the shock absorbers? did you change them? If they have been given a hard time, they more than likely need replacing. Also what about all tha spring bushes did you check them?

Tim

BenGood
10th December 2011, 08:04 AM
Gday mate. I have a 1980 MQ and mine does exactly the same thing. It could just be the fact that its had the battery and the driver on the same side of the vehicle for the last 27 years. I'm no expert on this subject by any stretch of the imagination, but thats all I could put mine down to. I've tried replacing all the springs twice and had no luck. I think they are possibly just lopsided. I've noticed it in a lot of them. In the end, I just gave up trying with mine. You could try just getting your right hand side springs reset with an extra inch of lift but that would probably just make it handle like sh!t. If anyone asks the question when you're driving it around, just tell them its because you're an MQ driver, which means you are a really muscular brute of a man with a complete steel skeletal system and you are strong enough to bench press a small house, but with that super-power, comes a lot of weight and it forces your car to sit lower on the drivers side. My logic is sound, it will work!

javas
10th December 2011, 10:50 AM
yeah that sounds like a fair explanation but the main concern is that there is a 40mm height difference from the left side to the rite side of the body and the body blocks look the same on both sides, but the chassis is only 15mm height difference from the left to the rite side. this is confusing me because the car always looks like it has a huge lean but when i try work out what is causing it everything looks the same.

MQ MAD
10th December 2011, 07:33 PM
Most aftermarket springs should have marked L + R ,as the right front should be a tad higher due to thats where all the weight usually is,as mentioned above where us big brutes sit
This could be the reason why is leans (??? rather alot) to one side , maybe the left and right springs need to be swapped over
That will be the ground to chassis issue , but the body issue ???
I dunno ill drop a few ales down and have a think

Quick drinker !!!
You are measuring it on a nice flat surface like a concrete floor ???
Not measuring it on the road are you ???
Bitumen roads are tapered

javas
11th December 2011, 09:31 PM
yeah it was fine when the springs went in it was all good. i measured it in the shed but everytime i measure it to the same spots its a bit different but thanks for all the help

Finly Owner
11th December 2011, 10:39 PM
What shocks are you using? Oil or gas?

Tim

qdłaty
29th January 2012, 06:42 AM
once i had problem with "body" leveling. after rear axle replacing my w260 looked twisted. every thing looked ok. the problem was in that , that axle and spring was tighten when cars was lifted.
than i went to flat parking lot, than screws loose little bit and drive back and forward. tight it back without car lifting.from that time body sit straight.

Robo
29th January 2012, 01:13 PM
Hi fellers.
My first 4x4 was 85 MK wagon some years back and similar thing, leans to a side.
you bet ya it the springs have sagged over time and battery + driver etc usually the cause.
Funny thing I find this thread, just yesterday arvo I found the business card of the company that fixed the lean on our old bus, about 12yrs ago.
company name. A. Dumbrell pty ltd.
in Newcastle 2 hrs , north of Sydney
from memory this is how it was fixed.
I measured both sides as directed and removed either 1 complete side "or end I cant remember which".
took the springs to em.
they stripped and re-heat set springs and reassembled with new slipper washers and bath protective layer. looked new.
I then reassembled car and drove around a little to settle it out and remeasured again.
removed the other springs and same process again, looked new again.
put back together not only was she now 2" raised but sat nice and level.
These guys knew exactly what to do, and achieve raise, and level without even seeing the car.

Now there are people who re-bend springs cold, ie not heating the spring at all.
All this achieves is fixed for a couple months, don't waste your money, ask upfront how they do it .
It was a dam site cheaper to have std springs reset the correct way than purchasing new aftermarket ones, but that was some time ago things may of changed.
Cheers

Johan Safari
15th February 2012, 07:57 PM
Leave spring suspensions is a dying art. Not many people know how it really works or how to fix it. It took me a lot of time, wasted a lot of money until I eventually built myself a jig with a 30 ton jack as a press. That was the end of my problems! The 30 ton jack was paid for after the 1st use!