PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Fraser Island trip

nickpeacock36
7th December 2011, 08:59 AM
We are off to Fraser on Saturday, staying at Dundubara camp ground. As i have never been before, i was wondering if anybody had any advice on the best crossing to reach this area. we will be towing a trailer. Thanks in advance for any info.

Bigrig
7th December 2011, 04:46 PM
We are off to Fraser on Saturday, staying at Dundubara camp ground. As i have never been before, i was wondering if anybody had any advice on the best crossing to reach this area. we will be towing a trailer. Thanks in advance for any info.

Steve's the most up to spec for Fraser me thinks ---

Stevo?? All yours!!

BillsGU
7th December 2011, 04:50 PM
I have just come back from there and asked the forum the same question. Have a look at that thread and it will most likely answer your questions.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5257-Tips-for-Fraser-Island

04OFF
7th December 2011, 09:16 PM
As Bill suggested, most of the best info i have is in that thread Nick.

BTW, you don't have much of a choice about crossings (id go the Manta Ray at Inskip Point), the Moon Point Barge is not running, the other choice is the Kingfisher Bay Barge, but you will have to almost drive to Harvey Bay , and pretty sure all cars have to REVERSE on (not fun with a trailer) and if that wasn't enough, its about $50 more expensive !

Then from Kingfisher Bay, you have 35min trip across to the other side of the island, the track, while not hard ,can be bumpy ,soft sand, and sees a lot of traffic , so will not be as cruisey as a nice hard wide beach when towing a trailer.

Even when we stayed at Kingfisher Bay resort, we still caught the Manta Ray.

Just so you are aware, im pretty sure you can't have a open fire at Dundubara, but you can at Waddy Beach Campsite (a bit further north)

If you read the other thread it will give you a good idea of how best to attack Fraser.

Sandy Cape Fraser Island

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/Favs/light5.jpg

nickpeacock36
8th December 2011, 03:04 PM
As Bill suggested, most of the best info i have is in that thread Nick.

BTW, you don't have much of a choice about crossings (id go the Manta Ray at Inskip Point), the Moon Point Barge is not running, the other choice is the Kingfisher Bay Barge, but you will have to almost drive to Harvey Bay , and pretty sure all cars have to REVERSE on (not fun with a trailer) and if that wasn't enough, its about $50 more expensive !

Then from Kingfisher Bay, you have 35min trip across to the other side of the island, the track, while not hard ,can be bumpy ,soft sand, and sees a lot of traffic , so will not be as cruisey as a nice hard wide beach when towing a trailer.

Even when we stayed at Kingfisher Bay resort, we still caught the Manta Ray.

Just so you are aware, im pretty sure you can't have a open fire at Dundubara, but you can at Waddy Beach Campsite (a bit further north)

If you read the other thread it will give you a good idea of how best to attack Fraser.

Sandy Cape Fraser Island

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/Favs/light5.jpg

Thanks Steve
I read the whole thread last night and got a lot of usefull info. We will go the Inskip Manta Ray barge as suggested.
Just need the weather to improve a little now.

BillsGU
8th December 2011, 05:30 PM
Have a ball Nick - we certainly did !!!!

scotty83
8th December 2011, 05:33 PM
pick a sunny weekend :wink:

04OFF
8th December 2011, 05:35 PM
Hope it does fine up for you Nick.

You can still have a look around if its raining, and on the bright side, at least all the tracks should be firm !

nickpeacock36
8th December 2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks again
We are going no matter what the weather does, just looking forward to some time away from work. Will tyry to get some deceny shots for when i return.