PDA

View Full Version : Interesting problem with RD28T.

Wine_maker
6th December 2011, 03:34 PM
Hi everyone! I'd like to get your advice. As there are not so many cars like mine in my city I meet difficulties with service and repair information.

The problem:
After my car has been idling for 5 minutes or more, the exhaust starts to have blue smoke with smell of burned oil, after a few kilometers in city traffic the smoke is disappeared.
If vehicle stands in traffic jam for 10-15 minutes the blue exhaust appears again after start of motion.
The oil consumption in this mode is 100-200 g per week. (I replace oil every 7000 km. and use this oil - http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_1386.html?Opendocument&land=GB&voilalang=e&voiladb=web.nsf).
But! If I start engine and began motion immediately I haven’t any smoke and oil level is not falling away. (except traffic jam).
PS. The turbo compressor is wet by oil.

Wine_maker
9th December 2011, 03:11 PM
Nobody knows? =(

Shaunous
9th December 2011, 06:19 PM
Hi everyone! I'd like to get your advice. As there are not so many cars like mine in my city I meet difficulties with service and repair information.

The problem:
After my car has been idling for 5 minutes or more, the exhaust starts to have blue smoke with smell of burned oil, after a few kilometers in city traffic the smoke is disappeared.
If vehicle stands in traffic jam for 10-15 minutes the blue exhaust appears again after start of motion.
The oil consumption in this mode is 100-200 g per week. (I replace oil every 7000 km. and use this oil - http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_1386.html?Opendocument&land=GB&voilalang=e&voiladb=web.nsf).
But! If I start engine and began motion immediately I haven’t any smoke and oil level is not falling away. (except traffic jam).
PS. The turbo compressor is wet by oil.

Your turbo compressor/inlet side is wet? The way you are describing sounds as if under load it's not burning oil, can you check if the exhaust side/turbine is wet with oil, I know this is a pain, or even check if the compressor/turbine shaft has any movement, up/down movement isn't so bad if its minimal, but it shouldnt have any forwards/backwards movement.

If it is only the inlet side of the turbo that is wet, trace where the oil is coming from along the inlet as it may just be the PCV filter letting to much oil into the inlet.

Wine_maker
9th December 2011, 10:17 PM
Only inlet side is wet. I have the oil catch can fixed on my car. May be it doesnt cope with air-oil flow.
But before I install it, I throw the hose from PCV in to atmosphere (throw hose from PVC outlet it to floor). And after few weeks the inlet of turbo compressor got dry, but then it became wet again. Then I installed the oil catch can and the inlet of the turbo compressor was always wet and one year later the smoke appeared.
Thank you for advice. Next spring I'll try to find slack of turbine shaft.
It is not comfortable to fix something when the outside Temp. is -14 C. LOL

Wine_maker
12th December 2011, 06:04 PM
I have theoretical assumption that my journal bearing have been tearing after 210 000 km, or after overheating, or oil treatment, I don't know how my car was used before I bought it.
So the assumption is: when my engine idling the oil pressure is higher than vacuum in intake system and oil begins to sucking to inlet side or the free play in turbine shaft in slow rotation regime can result this effect and when I began to drive the accumulated oil following to the compressed oil t the cylinders and burn there.
And when I began to drive immediately the oil are not accumulated because small time with vacuum in system and the speed of turbo shaft are balanced and decrease of free play in shaft and journal bearing.

Uffffff it is not very easy to describe it in English )):icon_bonk:

Shaunous
13th December 2011, 06:06 PM
I have theoretical assumption that my journal bearing have been tearing after 210 000 km, or after overheating, or oil treatment, I don't know how my car was used before I bought it.
So the assumption is: when my engine idling the oil pressure is higher than vacuum in intake system and oil begins to sucking to inlet side or the free play in turbine shaft in slow rotation regime can result this effect and when I began to drive the accumulated oil following to the compressed oil t the cylinders and burn there.
And when I began to drive immediately the oil are not accumulated because small time with vacuum in system and the speed of turbo shaft are balanced and decrease of free play in shaft and journal bearing.

Uffffff it is not very easy to describe it in English )):icon_bonk:

Don't get to technical :wink: , there is minimal vacuum in a diesel, only around the butterfly for the EGR system, engine oil pressure will be higher when your under load or revving the engine in comparison to just sitting still idling, in almost all cases, that is given the temperature is normal.

I think just go through the inlet and find at what point the oil is entering the system, if its not the EGR system where is enters the inlet i'd be checking the exhaust side of the turbo for oil, but in your case the problem you are explaining sounds like the EGR system is failing to me and or your PCV filter is no good.

But probably do all this when its not -14c outside :wink:

Cheers,
Shaun.

Wine_maker
13th December 2011, 06:51 PM
Thank you Shaunous!
My EGR is already blocked.
I must fix my filter for better capacity.