PDA

View Full Version : The big girl is heating up

pugsley
5th December 2011, 11:16 AM
Gday everyone iv got a 90 gq td42 aftermarket turbo fitted no intercooler. Along the flats the guage will sit between a quarter and a half. But give it a decent jump up and not towing anything the gauge goes up to 3/4 thats to hot for me. Also certain hills around here she gets to 3/4 whilst iv got no weight on at all. The radator is 12 months old, cap is good , thermostat is new. Before fitting the turbo i had no issues at all. Ive been told i need a bigger radator. Does anybody have any advice ?

Bigrig
5th December 2011, 11:22 AM
Get a proper flush (high pressure) of the cooling system and throw in a cold thermostat (opens about 12 degrees cooler than standard). Do you have spotties etc blocking the grill? Less airflow, less cooling. What condition is the fan in? I.e no broken vanes, spinning up full on with the engine (the hub not slipping too much so that it struggles to get going etc)?

Other than that, I have the setup mentioned above, with spotties, air con radiator, turbo intercooler in front of the radiator and mine sits on about one quarter normally, but still heats up going up hills - climbs to about three quarters but then sits there (doesn't keep climbing).

AB
5th December 2011, 11:22 AM
Hi mate, 3/4 isn't too bad but depends on what thermostat you put in.

Do you know what degree's your thermostat opens up at?

pugsley
5th December 2011, 11:30 AM
Get a proper flush (high pressure) of the cooling system and throw in a cold thermostat (opens about 12 degrees cooler than standard). Do you have spotties etc blocking the grill? Less airflow, less cooling. What condition is the fan in? I.e no broken vanes, spinning up full on with the engine (the hub not slipping too much so that it struggles to get going etc)?

Other than that, I have the setup mentioned above, with spotties, air con radiator, turbo intercooler in front of the radiator and mine sits on about one quarter normally, but still heats up going up hills - climbs to about three quarters but then sits there (doesn't keep climbing).

yeah mate the spotties are them 170 strikers so there not really blocking much. Ive done everything you brought up there accept the cold thermostat um yeah il give that a shot thanks mate:trink13:

pugsley
5th December 2011, 11:32 AM
nar i dont mate big rig just mentented that so il give it a go thanks

Bigrig
5th December 2011, 11:32 AM
yeah mate the spotties are them 170 strikers so there not really blocking much. Ive done everything you brought up there accept the cold thermostat um yeah il give that a shot thanks mate:trink13:

Good stuff - the flush is not a bad idea either. Make sure if you do it's done properly (under pressure) to get the crap out of the engine cooling system itself.

Good luck with it!!

pugsley
5th December 2011, 11:34 AM
thanks mate

patch697
5th December 2011, 11:48 AM
If your going to flush your cooling system the thermostat needs to be removed, so if your going with a colder heat range that will be the perfect time to do a flush.

MQ MAD
9th December 2011, 04:08 PM
Gday everyone iv got a 90 gq td42 aftermarket turbo fitted no intercooler. Along the flats the guage will sit between a quarter and a half. But give it a decent jump up and not towing anything the gauge goes up to 3/4 thats to hot for me. Also certain hills around here she gets to 3/4 whilst iv got no weight on at all. The radator is 12 months old, cap is good , thermostat is new. Before fitting the turbo i had no issues at all. Ive been told i need a bigger radator. Does anybody have any advice ?

The age of the radiator has nothin to do really with how efficient a radiator is
Go drive thru a heap of mud with a new rad and she could block up straight away
How much boost you running ???
Have ya tried turning the boost down a tad
As mentioned 3/4 on a 20 year old guage (is the guage working properly ???) isnt bad on these
Id be concerned if it went to 3/4 and stayed there or climbed,if it decreases then the cooling system is working,generally
Why it gets that hot, well boost would be checked,egts checked and maybe a rad flush by a rad pro,hose wont do a thing

bobby-didge
12th December 2011, 02:34 AM
hey buddy my GQ 4.2TD did the same thing, it has the after market turbo aswell, i took it to the old fella that only works on patrols and he told me if i dont put a intercooler, when im going up big hills or towing i should back off the gas about 20-30% which will reduce boost and heat from the turbo. and the other thing i did which makes it run alot cooler i got rid of the clutch fan and put twin electric fans! next im putting a bonnet scope on the turbo side of the bonnet to push the hot air off the turbo and out of the engine bay. good luck with it!

pugsley
28th December 2011, 06:37 PM
Gday fellas well i fitted the pwr 55mm radiator wasent hard to do slotted strait in just had to adjust the fan shroud with the angle grinder. Took it for a drive where i normally go i couldnt get it to move off a half, Where normally it would go to 3/4. Towed a mates camper trailer full of camping gear up the same hill making it work it moved up to 2 needle widths above half. Just thought you fellas would like to know how it went . Pugs

Sir Roofy
28th December 2011, 06:39 PM
gday fellas well i fitted the pwr 55mm radiator wasent hard to do slotted strait in just had to adjust the fan shroud with the angle grinder. Took it for a drive where i normally go i couldnt get it to move off a half, where normally it would go to 3/4. Towed a mates camper trailer full of camping gear up the same hill making it work it moved up to 2 needle widths above half. Just thought you fellas would like to know how it went . Pugs

thanks for that will keep that for later use

G-ForceCrew
30th December 2011, 06:58 PM
hi mate, looks like you have a new rad T-stat etc. what turbo? Top mounted or bottom. Nissan factory parts or not? If the only thing your've done is add the turbo it would look like Boosting or EGT issues. some ideas and these are from many other members as well. no more that 14psi boost without intercooler or you will need a new plunger in the fuel pump as it will get lean. no more than 500 on your egt's unless you have all the gauges and know what your looking at. 550 on egt's when your looking at oil pressure, oil temp, water temp boost psi etc. Watch
the internal waste gate for carbined build up on auctuator arm and gate flaper seat.

Good luck

Kel

lil man
8th January 2012, 05:12 PM
Hey guys, was just wondering how hot was too hot to be running for a long period of time? And does anyone one know the actual temperature in degrees celcius when the temp gauge is reading say half way? Ive got a tb42 carby btw. Cheers

bond
9th January 2012, 08:34 PM
Got one of these in my Petrol GQ that had the same problems

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-CORE-aluminum-radiator-Nissan-GQ-PATROL-Safari-Y60-/290647100594?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43abeaccb2#ht_1384wt_1037

Bolted straight in with no trimming at all. MUCH bigger core than standard.