PDA

View Full Version : Confused

Dw86
4th December 2011, 11:49 PM
Hi guys and gals,

Here is my dilemma, tried to purchase a snorkel for my 88 shorty yesterday. Guy asked me if horizontal or vertical pre cleaner. I told him my patrol doesn't have one. He told me that isn't possible and proceeded to tell me that They all have one. So i showed him and he said never seen that before.

So my question is, has the previous owner removed the pre cleaner for some reason or is this Normal for the model / year?

When installing snorkel should I put in pre cleaner or as I have seen on some pics just run a pipe from air cleaner to the snorkel inside the guard??? Pros and cons?

Also, Where can I get pre cleaner from if needed?

Thanks heaps guys.

Dw86
4th December 2011, 11:55 PM
Sorry guys wrong section re posted.

patch697
4th December 2011, 11:55 PM
A pre cleaners not a bad idea but it really depends largely on how much space you have at to what to use here.

The early to mid 2000 model Navara's run a nice small pre cleaner that seem to flow alright but as said, it really depends on your setup as to what you can use if any.

Silver
4th December 2011, 11:56 PM
mine has one, TB42 petrol - I guess it would be hori2ontal.

They are commonly removed to fit a dual battery

If you are really keen on a pre cleaner and don't care about looks, or like the look, you can get a cyclonic pre cleaner that sits at the top of the snorkel.

I guess yours is a diesel?

Pay attention to all the joins in the air intake plumbing - on the petrol at least some are pretty casual and I wouldn't trust them to keep water out.

DW86, someone with an oilburner will be along at some stage I guess.

Dw86
4th December 2011, 11:56 PM
Hi guys and gals,

Here is my dilemma, tried to purchase a snorkel for my 88 shorty yesterday. Guy asked me if horizontal or vertical pre cleaner. I told him my patrol doesn't have one. He told me that isn't possible and proceeded to tell me that They all have one. So i showed him and he said never seen that before.

So my question is, has the previous owner removed the pre cleaner for some reason or is this Normal for the model / year?

When installing snorkel should I put in pre cleaner or as I have seen on some pics just run a pipe from air cleaner to the snorkel inside the guard??? Pros and cons?

Also, Where can I get pre cleaner from if needed?

Thanks heaps guys.

Dw86
5th December 2011, 12:15 AM
Nah mine is a petrol carby. Driving me nuts. Seems that safari, ironman etc have only setups for precleaners. May have to customize one of theirs or build my own.

patch697
5th December 2011, 12:26 AM
Nah mine is a petrol carby. Driving me nuts. Seems that safari, ironman etc have only setups for precleaners. May have to customize one of theirs or build my own.

They will still bolt up on the outside exactly the same & run to the port in the inner guard, what you set up under the bonnet & how creative you get is really up to you.

That Bloke you spoke to was incorrect in saying the snorkel will not fit without a pre cleaner. I would recommend the use of one or a similar device when running a snorkel but its not essential.

Dw86
5th December 2011, 11:04 AM
Has anyone got some pics of their 88 4.2 petrol carby. Engine bay so I can compare to mine. Would be appreciated.