PDA

View Full Version : steering freeplay

bobbrumby
4th December 2011, 08:24 PM
Is the patrol steering box like most steering boxes were you back off the lock nut then tighten down the adjuster to take out a bit of the play? The adjuster i speak of is on the plate near the front of the box where the bleed nipple is. Also is this nipple for when you drain the power steer fluid to get the air out instead of jacking the front end and going lock to lock?

Robo
23rd December 2011, 05:46 AM
Sounds like you are asking about the right adjuster.
Playing with adjuster can lead to oil leak from here, as the o-ring have aged I guess.Manual warns of posible leak, if adjusted, and mine did.
Nothing bad, not running leak but damp surface.
But hey anythings possible.
Good idea to mark adjuster to help keep track of where your at and write a record of it, for later reference, incase you need to back it off a bit or something.

As for the bleed,some air came out, but gen manual makes no mention of procedure to bleed this. form memory I got my son to turn wheel while I cracked bleed, 1way bleed and other sucked so good idea to firstly put some plumbers tape on bleeder thread and use clear tube with s bend upwards to help keep air out while bleeding that was my experiance.
I read somewhere that plumbers tape also works a treat on brake bleeders to minimise leaking fluid.
Don't know if tape causes any long term problems.
I have hade no problems, just make sure not to allow it into system.
Hope this helps

Robo
23rd December 2011, 03:50 PM
Your welcome.
It is easy to go a bit to tight or loose, that also a good reason to mark a point of starting.
It is a easy job but may take a few attempts to get it .

lil man
8th January 2012, 06:15 PM
Cheers guys thats been a problem on mine and has cleared things up (:

mikewrigley
16th January 2012, 07:32 PM
My steering's been a bit loose too and didn't know where to start really (as it's the steering axle that seems to have movement and all parts after the power steering box seem fine) so this is a really great start in the right direction! When I can download that manual, I should also be able to see what you're talking about ha ha ;)

Mike

Hongie
16th January 2012, 11:32 PM
thanks for the info... might try this on my mav

Bigrig
16th January 2012, 11:33 PM
thanks for the info... might try this on my mav

3 more posts mate!!! Then your fingers can have a rest while the manual downloads!!!! lmao

mikewrigley
23rd January 2012, 06:23 PM
Ok so have read the manual and still not 100% on next step with steering play! It almost feels like the worm/valve assembly is not tight enough to the sector shaft (or an issue in the worm/valve assembly?). The rubber mount at the coupling is fine (issue is definetely after this) and the Pitman arm has no (visible or feel of) play. The Nissan manual reckons 35mm steering wheel play allowable but mine must be a fair bit more and it just "feels" odd (if you know what I mean!).

Any clues would be great before I start dismantling it to my hearts content!!! :)

Will check back later as need to head out at mo, but there's food for thought! Cheers

YNOT
23rd January 2012, 08:42 PM
You need someone to rock the sterring wheel (not too fast, just left to right about every 2 seconds) while you get under the car to look and feel for movement. Watch the input and output of the steering box, they should both move at the same time but different amounts. If you can see the input moving while the output is stationary you have a problem. Also look closely at the drag link and tie rod rod ends, and wheel bearings.

Tony

mikewrigley
24th January 2012, 02:34 PM
You need someone to rock the sterring wheel (not too fast, just left to right about every 2 seconds) while you get under the car to look and feel for movement. Watch the input and output of the steering box, they should both move at the same time but different amounts. If you can see the input moving while the output is stationary you have a problem. Also look closely at the drag link and tie rod rod ends, and wheel bearings.

Tony

That's not good then! Sounds like I have a problem! No movement for a fair bit of steering wheel rotation, then it moves fine at the box. Everything post-steering box appears fine (needs grease and a new steering damper wouldn't go amiss but no loose movement). There is an adjuster for the sector arm, but unless that tightens the connection to the worm/valve assembly then I imagine wouldn't make a difference.

Cheers Tony, though I really didn't want to read that reply ha ha! :)

Sounds like I might need to take it apart at the box itself then :(