PDA

View Full Version : 1991 TD4.2 GQ patrol not starting

bobby-didge
4th December 2011, 12:54 AM
HELP ME!! hi i have dual batterys on my GQ, i did'ent put the (pos)+ battery termenal back on the aux battery and it arked out (sparked) when i was started it, i seen sparks and turn the car off stright away, then put the termenal back on the battery and tryed to start it again but would'nt start it just turned over and would'nt fire. ive checked all the fuses with a power tester and there fine. can someone pls help me???

Yendor
4th December 2011, 01:35 AM
Have you checked the fusible links near the main battery?

bobby-didge
4th December 2011, 01:52 AM
hey no i have'nt, what dose the fusible link look like? its my first diesel car so still learning bout it.

bobby-didge
4th December 2011, 02:06 AM
found them and just checked them and they look fine, is there any other fuses that would not let it start? and could i have damage the diesel pump when it sarted for them few seconds?

AB
4th December 2011, 08:18 AM
Hi mate in that fusible link area did you also check the glow plug fuse and all the green fuses...Just checking.

I did a similar thing where the alternator wire had a split and shorted out the car which blue the 65amp ignition fuse in the fusible link area and car wouldn't start.

Here's a quick read about it anyway....http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?2600-AB-s-new-GQ-is-finally-here/page3&highlight=fuse

AB
4th December 2011, 09:01 AM
found them and just checked them and they look fine, is there any other fuses that would not let it start? and could i have damage the diesel pump when it sarted for them few seconds?

I doubt you would have blown the pump mate, maybe just double check all the fuses where Yendor suggested again. That would be the most likely cause. Take them all out and check through the clear panels to make sure they haven't blown. I thought mine were all fine but checked again and found that 65 amp had a tiny crack in it...You couldn't notice until you took it out and had a good close look at it.

Yendor
4th December 2011, 09:53 AM

Did you check them with a test light, does it light up on both sides?

I don't think you would of damaged the diesel pump, you have more then likely blown the fuse that runs the diesel pump.

There is a good chance you may have damaged your alternator.

bobby-didge
11th December 2011, 11:59 PM
hey guy cheers heaps for helping me out ey, i ended up getting it going, all i did was unpluged the diesel pump plug and took out the fusible links, then turn the ignition on then off, plug em all back in and it fired strate up. It blew and big cloud of diesel smoke so maybe the glow plugs were not heating up or something!! cheers again for the reply's! [GO THE GQ'S THERE TUFF AS NAILS] :)