PDA

View Full Version : Is a body lift worth the hassel

benno
3rd December 2011, 09:56 PM
Howdy Guys & Girls,

After much thought about wether I'm going to trash my tidy 92 GQ or not has come to a head, and the answer is yes. I'm going to start buildng bar work for it very early next year, Bigrig has given me some good shots of some slders to build, but before I start I'm just wondering if it is worth doing a body lift, and if so how high and how much hassell is it, is it worth it. Iv'e hear you can get up to a 2" lift with certification done legaly in QLD but haven't checked up about it, any ideas would be much appreciated.

PS have you got a trip going in late Jan Bigrig????

Cheers Tony.

patch697
3rd December 2011, 10:47 PM
If your going out wheeling with Bigus mate I'd leave the body where it is & go suspension lift instead You'll need the chassis clearance believe me.....

Bigrig
3rd December 2011, 11:06 PM
Howdy Guys & Girls,

After much thought about wether I'm going to trash my tidy 92 GQ or not has come to a head, and the answer is yes. I'm going to start buildng bar work for it very early next year, Bigrig has given me some good shots of some slders to build, but before I start I'm just wondering if it is worth doing a body lift, and if so how high and how much hassell is it, is it worth it. Iv'e hear you can get up to a 2" lift with certification done legaly in QLD but haven't checked up about it, any ideas would be much appreciated.

PS have you got a trip going in late Jan Bigrig????

Cheers Tony.

Hey mate - yep, trip to LCMP for the Australia day weekend - trees a thread for it in the Forum Meetups section.

Yeah, I'd go lift over body lift ... I've thrown up a few posts recently about it, and hunted around, and unless you want big rubber on it, the body lift is sort of pointless ... that said, can't hurt either!! lmao

I'm now looking at going a 6" could with Off Road Boss long travel shocks and 35" tyres (never happy!!) and for the money to body lift, I figure better spent towards a locker or reduction gears - they'll get you further than a body lift and/or big rubber on their own.

Hope you can make the trip mate!!

Woof
3rd December 2011, 11:27 PM
My opinion for what it is worth, forget the body lift and just go with a suspension lift, I am running a 4" lift with 35"s and a front air locker

Bigrig
3rd December 2011, 11:29 PM
My opinion for what it is worth, forget the body lift and just go with a suspension lift, I am running a 4" lift with 35"s and a front air locker

Hey Doggy, did you have to do much/any cutting of the wheel arches for the 35"s?? Looks like I might have a set coming, but even with the 5" lift, I reckon the angle grinder is going to have to come off the workbench ... can't figure it out!!! lol

Woof
3rd December 2011, 11:36 PM
Hey Doggy, did you have to do much/any cutting of the wheel arches for the 35"s?? Looks like I might have a set coming, but even with the 5" lift, I reckon the angle grinder is going to have to come off the workbench ... can't figure it out!!! lol
No they were on it when I bought it, I can see where they have rubbed slightly on the inside of the guards (not the outer part) but the tyres have no wear from the rubbing, only does it when doing extreme articulation

Bigrig
3rd December 2011, 11:38 PM
No they were on it when I bought it, I can see where they have rubbed slightly on the inside of the guards (not the outer part) but the tyres have no wear from the rubbing, only does it when doing extreme articulation

Thanks mate! Have you got flexi flares or something also??

canuck
4th December 2011, 01:43 AM
As I understand it, the best reason for a body lift is to have a little more clearance for getting the tranny in and out easier (access for ratchet). For this reason alone, I am still planning to do a 1" body lift. Big body lifts put too much pressure on body mounts. Second point, being tall doesn't make your rig more trail ready unless you only plan to run ruts with big rubber. IMO, stability is even more important, so keep the centre of gravity low is something to always consider, especially on a SWB.

AB
4th December 2011, 08:11 AM
I'm contemplating cutting my guards soon. I have 2" GU left which makes it about 2.5" lift with no body lift and 33" tyres.

I went out yesterday and ripped the back flare trying to do a tight turn in some ruts and thinking of doing the following rather then a body lift.

Do the rear quarter chop and cut some of the rear arch away on the front side so if anyone has any info or pics to see how effective this is with 35" tyres I would love to know too!

NissanGQ4.2
4th December 2011, 02:33 PM
worth the hassle..... would not say anything 2inch and under is a hassle 2 install, yes a few things might need slight adjustments but not that hard 2 do.... just really depends on why you think you need a body lift as 2 weather or not it is worth it.

In the end in my view money is always better off spend on better / higher suspension rather than a body lift

benno
5th December 2011, 10:00 PM
Howdy guys, thanks for the feed back, body lift doesn't seem like the go. would rather speend my bucks else where anyway, just new it would be easier to fit the sliders with one.
How do you guys get on with over a 2" lift and 33" tryres legaly in QLD for insurance etc???

Cheers Tony.

benno
5th December 2011, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys, doesn't sound like a body lift is worth it, would rather spend my bucks elsewhere anyway

Woof
5th December 2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks mate! Have you got flexi flares or something also??

Yep got the Bunnings flares............absolutely brilliant Scotty

Bigrig
5th December 2011, 10:45 PM
Yep got the Bunnings flares............absolutely brilliant Scotty

Thanks boss!! That's me then also!!

Ade
5th December 2011, 11:02 PM
Do the rear quarter chop and cut some of the rear arch away on the front side so if anyone has any info or pics to see how effective this is with 35" tyres I would love to know too!

Rear quarter chop and trimmed front arch pics mate..with a bit worn 35'' pedes and 3'' suspension lift

AB
6th December 2011, 07:54 AM
Thanks Ade, spot on!

MQ MAD
9th December 2011, 05:20 PM
Howdy guys, thanks for the feed back, body lift doesn't seem like the go. would rather speend my bucks else where anyway, just new it would be easier to fit the sliders with one.
How do you guys get on with over a 2" lift and 33" tryres legaly in QLD for insurance etc???

Cheers Tony.

A body lift kit , what is 12 or so blocks and longer bolts, is way more cheaper than upgrade suspension by a country mile
Body lifts kits what $150, wont get 2"springs and longer shocks for what under a grand or so
Done the body lift in my ute , trolley jack,block of wood, removed from one heap and in the ute all in a few hours, so goin new maybe same time, depends on how hard the old bolts are to get out
Youll need to mod the shifter plate a touch and get a longer clutch hose,about it
Legalities wise
2" body lift can be approved,must be pre approved before fitting then must go for an inspection before final approval , usually like at a machinery station (most older 4bies would fail on full machinery, hence many dont get approved)
Suspension is 1/3 more travel than factory offered, usually 2" more
Tyres are 15 mm taller than the talest offered on that model

IF ya not sure checkout QLD DOT website, its all there what ya can or cant do ,legally that is

benno
9th December 2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks MQ MAD,
All info is good info, it's good to hear different peoples responses,

Cheers Tony.