PDA

View Full Version : RD28 rebuild issues - any ideas welcome

_Greg
3rd December 2011, 02:35 PM
Hi All

I have just completed changing an RD28T into an RD28eti. After my 98 Patrol threw a rod and blew 2 big holes in the block, i purchased an import Japanese engine (RD28T). I stripped it down to a block and head, and transferred all of the bolt on's from the RD28eti.

I recently put it back in, today i started it and it takes some cranking to start, then the temperature starts to rise up to the hot temp range at the end of the temperature gauge, and then it comfortably sits in that range. the old engine used to sit about middle of the temp gauge. the coolant is not boiling over or overflowing an any way.

when i turn the engine off, it seems to have some post ignition as it will kick a few times afterwards.

I kept the injectors that came with the engine (except for no1, as this one has a sensor in the eti)

the coolent temperature sensor was transfered from the old engine - it was working well when the engine blew.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

Greg

patch697
3rd December 2011, 03:38 PM
I can't help much with the engine run on question mate as im not right into diesels but with the temp gauge, try disconnecting it at the sender & just turn the key to on without starting it & see if the gauge comes up....

If it does the signal wire is toughing the body somewhere & you'll then need to go on the hunt & if it doesn't move at all plug it back in with the ignition still in the same position & see if it moves up to the hot mark...

If it does it is more then likely in fault & will need replacing.

That should get you started with ironing out your bugs at least.

Best of luck mate & stay tuned cos someone with knowledge of the RD28's should be able to throw some ideas at you.

growler2058
3rd December 2011, 03:49 PM
Also possible the sender are different with the two motors. I had similar problem with a Holden blue motor with a red motor sender

_Greg
3rd December 2011, 03:50 PM
when starting the temp starts at the cold mark and then rises over a few minutes to the hot mark. so i assume that the sender is working, but working well, i'm not sure?

_Greg
3rd December 2011, 03:50 PM
i took the sender off the old engine and put it into this one

patch697
3rd December 2011, 04:03 PM
when starting the temp starts at the cold mark and then rises over a few minutes to the hot mark. so i assume that the sender is working, but working well, i'm not sure?

It could still be faulty as when they age they get brittle & when reused this can create a fault that wasn't there prior.

Just something to keep i mind.