PDA

View Full Version : How not to change oil

growler2058
2nd December 2011, 03:33 PM
Well big epic fail for keeping a oil change clean ended up with an environmental disaster on me front lawn( wifes Gunnar kill me) All was going well till I dropped the sump plug into the funnel blocking it and flooding raging hot oil everywhere
See below

Sir Roofy
2nd December 2011, 03:43 PM
Ooooooooooohdeeeeeeeeeeeeeeear me what have we here
growlers your right in the poo ,dig it up mate whip around the back dig up fresh
plug and put it in the hole grass on top will never know

jimmyjam
2nd December 2011, 03:47 PM
You could try leaving the car where it is for the next couple of months to hide the oil killing the grass?

patch697
2nd December 2011, 03:47 PM
Yep..........................lol

growler2058
2nd December 2011, 03:50 PM
I'm thinking of parking over it for acoupla days and then plead ignorance when I move her
This is what it looks like after I hit laundry detergent onto it. Hardly notice it ay hahaha

patch697
2nd December 2011, 03:52 PM
I'm thinking of parking over it for acoupla days and then plead ignorance when I move her
This is what it looks like after I hit laundry detergent onto it. Hardly notice it ay hahaha

Except for that big dark patch, you wouldn't be able to tell mate..............lol

AB
2nd December 2011, 04:03 PM
Your a funny bugger...LMAO

Here's what you do....Get a stanly knife and cut the perimeter of the grass out and shovel the grass off the dirt in one shovel load. Cut the same size area in another spot of the garden behind a tree or in an unsuspecting part of the garden and do a SWAP "N" GO....LMAO

Give it some water and no one will know mate!!!

Bigrig
2nd December 2011, 04:09 PM
I'm glad you included a photo of one of the last days you'll be wearing a wedding ring!!!! lmao

HippoNZ
2nd December 2011, 04:09 PM
I maaaayyy have done this before.... trick is to do it on the folks lawn and not your own! lmao

growler2058
2nd December 2011, 04:15 PM
Im so effed arent I hahahahahha well actually i probably wont be for quite some time, the spot where i accidently dumped a heap of coolant 3yrs ago hasnt entirely come back yet...............anyone got a room for rent hahhahaha

growler2058
2nd December 2011, 04:21 PM
I jacked the ol girl up an stuffed rags under the filters and the oil just ran off straight away covering bloody everything got the new oil in without spilling a drop tho haha

AB
2nd December 2011, 04:30 PM
That's pretty nifty...Much more efficient then my famous orange juice bottle...LMAO...Or trying to be the hulk and holding a 20 litre can 2 foot above the rocket cover trying to aim into the hole...lol

Kind of like being extremely toasted aiming for the toilet bowl...

growler2058
2nd December 2011, 04:41 PM
That's pretty nifty...Much more efficient then my famous orange juice bottle...LMAO...Or trying to be the hulk and holding a 20 litre can 2 foot above the rocket cover trying to aim into the hole...lol

Kind of like being extremely toasted aiming for the toilet bowl...

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAA Wish it was my idea the castrol 10ltr comes with a tap how bloody cool is that!!!

rkinsey
2nd December 2011, 06:11 PM
Dig it up. Dump the crap down the back behind the shed and build a new garden (Or extend the old one) over the patch and tell her you wanted her to have more flowers.

She'll not worry about the lawn after that... simple.

wildgu6
2nd December 2011, 06:46 PM
G man what have you done to the lovely lawn...Have to LOL mate sorry, not for laughing, I've just never met a bloke with only one nad, hope your voice don't change much.
what ametures, best trick of all, you can do it on the lawn on the driveway or even on the carpet, well you get the pic'. Large sheet of plastic under Trol or split open a couple of large bin liners does the same job, then chuck an old blanket down and away you go, for emergencies like your G man have a cork on stand by to stop the flow, what gets through the blanket won't get through the plastic. As for the lawn mate, just man up, ain't no getting around that, maybe take her out for dinner or a bunch of suck up...sorry never got a chance to go wheeling mate....lol
Good luck

growler2058
2nd December 2011, 07:01 PM
HAHH thanks wild!:-)

Ben-e-boy
2nd December 2011, 07:32 PM
hahahahahaha I have done that before it was the very first service I put her through after buying it. I had a 10L oil pan and 10.5L came out. I forgot about the extra oil for the filters

Stumpjumper
2nd December 2011, 07:42 PM
Now you told everyone..............tut tut
Had to just rang woodside petrolium or BP and said theres oil oozin up out of the front lawn!!!
You wouldda been setup? You would have to be a quick mover though:1087::1087::1087:

hekarewe
2nd December 2011, 09:34 PM
reminds me of my last service,,,, everything was going great till i decided to decant old oil into milk bottles to through in bin wife came up and said i'll help andcharged in knocking the milk bottle and the oil tray ass up al ovedr the road in front of my nieboures house as it is the only flat bit of road in the street spent the rest of the day trying to get rid of the stain still there now LOL

Finly Owner
2nd December 2011, 10:32 PM
Grpwlers I'd be worried about her EPA friend....oh.. she hasn't told you about her?

Tim

MudRunnerTD
2nd December 2011, 10:39 PM
spray it with 2 cans of Super çheap auto degreaser in a can and hose it off! What Oil?? Didn't do nuffin ;)

Finly Owner
2nd December 2011, 11:15 PM
They are good except when you forget to move them and the run it over while full!

Tim

Finly Owner
2nd December 2011, 11:22 PM
Yeah my first drop from FINLY was like......wil it all fit?...........ooohhh how much more?........Ah ok!

canuck
4th December 2011, 02:19 AM
Get yourself one of these Growler. 12L capacity and sump plug proof!! A real beaut thing.

I had one of those for my first oil change in my Y60 in 2006. It resulted in oil all over the driveway. The little funnel in the pan couldn't take the flow out of the sump. The oil on a TD4.2 sump drops real fast. Now I use a 16L open pan.

After many oil spills I got the idea to use a big plastic underbed storage bin lid that I didn't think the wife was using (that's another story when she found out :blowup: ). I still spill some oil, especially when I take off the filters; but, it all drops onto the plastic bin lid.

growler2058
4th December 2011, 09:02 AM
Update the slick on my lawn seems to be spreading IMMMMMM so effed when she realizes the extent of the disaster, lucky i havent got greasy penguins flailing about me front yard!!

hutchy84
5th December 2011, 06:23 PM
Mate id go with the degreaser option sorry man but i have to lmao done this to a gravel drive way before you can get enviromentally friendly degreaser maybe that wont kill the lawn so much otherwise it is gonna keep spreading

Or you can just cut the section out and replace the dirt before it sinks right down as it will take a few years for the grass to grow completly

and i bet she loves going out in the 4by so you can just put half the blame on her hahahaha ralmao !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woof
5th December 2011, 06:36 PM
Maybe you can try this on the Missus mate, just change your name to JED...............ROFLMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnXfRstZntE

growler2058
5th December 2011, 07:08 PM
Bubbling Crude ay......i'll give that a crack ahahahahhahaha

growler2058
5th December 2011, 07:51 PM
i cant shes sitting at the lounge rm window

Woof
5th December 2011, 07:53 PM
i cant shes sitting at the lounge rm window

Come on Jed, get your camera out LOL

growler2058
5th December 2011, 07:57 PM
Ok ok she's putting the lil one to bed

Here's an update of the terrible oil spill in Adelaide

Woof
5th December 2011, 08:07 PM
Hey mate just had an idea that may get you out of the poo poo, tell her that you were aerating the lawn with your garden fork last week (to keep it looking good for her) and someone had buried a container full of oil there and you stabbed it and did not have the heart to tell her as she would get upset, you tried to fix it but it has not worked...........put on a real sad face though.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/12/1.gif

growler2058
5th December 2011, 08:08 PM
Nup nuthins been said and thats what im worried about........and her whole family is coming around on sunday for a xmas thing

rottodiver
5th December 2011, 08:21 PM
This is bringing back memories of when i had my first car and did an oil change on it.. the only suitable container shallow enough and big enough to fit under the old panelvan turned out to be one of mums " tupperware" containers... geez was i popular and it taught me how expensive it was to replace tupperware.

P.s oil stains tupperware.... incase anyone wanted to attempt it

Scotty

hutchy84
6th December 2011, 11:00 AM
Mate you can just get up in the middle of the night and dig a section out and then act all surprised in the morning when she spots it and just act like someone stole it but on a seroius note you are gonna wanna dig that section out

Or while she is out at work u come home from work and take the section out if you are that worried about her finding out

Or just take a section of lawn from somewhere else where she wont notice and take that bit out and swap the sections around that might be a possibility

or just get a trailer load of yellow sand and cover your whole lawn, as this is good for the lawn every now and then

canuck
7th December 2011, 05:05 PM
Hutch is onto it. My recommendation is pull up a handful of turf and go to your local turf seller with a carton in hand and ask if he will give or sell you a square meter of turf the same shade to keep you out of the dog house. Then nicely cut out the oiled section of turf with a flat spade. If the oil has filtered down into the soil, you'll have to dig that out too. Throw down some clean soil if needed, some bone meal, lay the new turf on top and Bob's your Uncle! It may not blend in right away, but she won't be mad for long. Hell, my wife still like me (I think :trink13:) and my dogs destroy a lot more lawn than that.

gec
7th December 2011, 05:15 PM
Mate, I dunno what your worried about, just make sure to park ya Patrol elsewhere then one day walk out and start juming up an down swearing an yell, "some bastards poured oil all over me Bloody lawn" hehe problem solved!

growler2058
7th December 2011, 05:23 PM
Mate, I dunno what your worried about, just make sure to park ya Patrol elsewhere then one day walk out and start juming up an down swearing an yell, "some bastards poured oil all over me Bloody lawn" hehe problem solved!

Like ya way of thinking!
However I owned up last night after a coupla grogs the guilts got the better of me. She was ok........something's not right ahhahahahaha

TimE
8th December 2011, 11:32 AM
http://sacredmint.com/images/product/memorial_angel_fountain_lg.jpg

Buy one of these to cover the patch.

Tell your Mrs that it is her Christmas present, kill two birds with one stone :harhar:

wheels
8th December 2011, 07:38 PM
Use kitty litter (sand not silicone one) to soak up oil.

wheels
8th December 2011, 07:41 PM
wrap a plastic bag around your oil filter when you change filters. Oil wil drip in plastic bag and not on your lawn.

wheels
8th December 2011, 07:58 PM
See uses for kitty litter
http://www.wisebread.com/really-great-uses-for-kitty-litter
http://artsycatsy.blogspot.com/2008/04/13-human-uses-for-kitty-litter.html

growler2058
8th December 2011, 08:15 PM
Cheers wheels next time ay

cycd
18th December 2011, 12:17 PM
I have done this countless times over the years..... LOL.

P.S get some of those $60-$70 wheel jacks that will lift your rig 2 feet and drop the oil then.... much bettererer

canuck
20th December 2011, 07:46 AM
Like ya way of thinking!
However I owned up last night after a coupla grogs the guilts got the better of me. She was ok........something's not right ahhahahahaha

Oh man you are gonna regret that. I am sure it is not logged into the female memory hard drive that never breaks down and is instantly retrievable during any argument regardless if it is relevant or not.

... :1092: :blowup:

the ferret
20th December 2011, 11:38 AM
Wait until dark, swap it fer a plug of lawn from next door, lol
Cheers, the ferret.

growler2058
7th January 2012, 01:32 PM
Well I was saying to Patch over in GB that my epic oil change FAIL wasn't too bad now.....wellllll I just mowed the lawn and you can see through the cover that it's not that good after all! I think I will be taking a plug from somewhere and replacing oooopppppsss

Trolatron
8th January 2012, 09:57 PM
I would have parked HER car over that spot, brushed some oil around the sump and said "look what your car done " then say to her " Its ok hun you run down the pub grab me some beers and ill put a new gasket on it for ya" then wipe oil off with a rag.... win win:smile:

Bogus
11th January 2012, 11:15 AM
Try some touch up paint from Bunnings.... May I suggest Heritage Green.... The grass won't know the diff after all it's dead anyway.............lol

nzmal
19th January 2012, 02:02 PM
Mate, ...just go down to your paintshop and get the grass colour-matched...quick spray over....

stock patrol
19th January 2012, 05:37 PM
Hi Guys, I drop mine in my garage with no probs at all. just gotta do it in style. no rush! no problem! and i have a funnel wif a tube on to hang up to drain the filter run off and leave it there for a while while I drink a beer or two!

rusty_nail
20th January 2012, 10:48 AM
love all the dodgy ways to conceal the error, specially the one about blaming it on the wife and painting the grass lol

growler2058
16th January 2015, 03:08 PM
I've f@rkd the lawn again

growler2058
16th January 2015, 03:08 PM
Aaaand yup burnt my hand with hot oil AGAIN

growler2058
16th January 2015, 03:09 PM
''.........

Bob
16th January 2015, 03:10 PM

Some People just never learn LMAO

growler2058
16th January 2015, 03:12 PM
Some People just never learn LMAO

I tried really hard this time BoB, honest. But for the life of me I couldn't work out how to drain the filter oil??

mudski
16th January 2015, 03:19 PM
You knob Growler!

Hodge
16th January 2015, 03:55 PM
I feel for ya Growler.
This would be more or less the same result with me... The GU filter especially is in a karnt of a position always makes a mess.

growler2058
16th January 2015, 04:17 PM
Cheers mate, someone understands me hahahahahahaha Id be worried if I were you Hodgey

mudnut
16th January 2015, 04:27 PM
Hmmm, maybe get a plastic drop sheet or let a mechanic do the job properly EVERY 5000 Ks. LMAO. (Not laughing at you injury by the way).

liftlid
16th January 2015, 04:32 PM
I just put a rag on the diff and slide the oil pan under, and tip the oil out first,

growler2058
16th January 2015, 04:45 PM
Hmmm, maybe get a plastic drop sheet or let a mechanic do the job properly EVERY 5000 Ks. LMAO. (Not laughing at you injury by the way).

Not a bad oil burn. The one at the beginning was a worse enviro hazard

growler2058
16th January 2015, 04:46 PM
I just put a rag on the diff and slide the oil pan under, and tip the oil out first,

Oil pan. Theres a problem solver ;)

Hodge
16th January 2015, 04:52 PM
Oil pan. Theres a problem solver ;)

What are those? lol

growler2058
16th January 2015, 04:56 PM
What are those? lol

Exaccery!!!

Clunk
16th January 2015, 08:26 PM

bwahahahahahahahahaha, now I've gotta go clean coffee off me keyboard ya wanker

bigkevlittletruck
16th January 2015, 08:51 PM
Bingo that's what ido big arse drain pan wipe up with rag then degrease .. happy camper

Jonesy_sa
16th January 2015, 09:25 PM
So this is the reason all those ground water tests in Adel have come back bad ;-) my issue with the TB is I never have enough spare empty containers. I has a V8 that took 5lt perfect!

bigkevlittletruck
16th January 2015, 11:47 PM
Just as well I'm down streem .ay I take my oil to the tip free collection and save a couple of containers for later

P4trol
17th January 2015, 01:13 AM

I did this when at a caravan park. I asked if they had an area where you could do minor car work, and no, they didn't. So I asked if I could do it on-site. They said as long as I didn't make a mess.

So first I drained the catch can into a chop packet. After dark, because the kids had to be showered etc. The oil missed the chop packet and went behind it, all over the grass.

Then through a comedy of errors the filter spilt a heap. Because I didn't have an oil pan, the funnel didn't work great on the sump drain. So 10pm I'm off to find a car wash to avoid spilt oil from under the car dripping in more spots. 11pm I'm back washing the grass with dishwashing detergent, water, and clean rags. I think it worked - at least they never realised in time to bill it back. Any dead grass would probably be due to a couple of naughty words uttered when I found the drips.

CPOCSM
19th January 2015, 08:54 PM
Don't worry...

When I first bought the patrol last year, completely forgot the capacity was larger than what I had been used to...5 litres for the EB XR8 vice 8.3 litres for the patrol...

Dumped the oil and filter the day I bought it and threw the six litre catch can under the car...loosened off the sump plug and let it drain. Wifey was in the office next to the driveway and went spastic and was yelling at me asking what was all the black sh$t running past her window...the three extra litres of waste oil had overflowed and merrily ran down the driveway. To add insult to injury, I only had 5 litres of replacement oil(remember creature of habit!!) AND...

The patrol was parked behind the second car! Had to get on the pushy, swearing and cursing, and ride to supercrap for another 5 litres of oil! Sorted the patrol out, got the hard scrubber and degreaser and proceeded to scrub 20 feet of driveway to remove the oil.

Lesson well learned!

P4trol
19th January 2015, 10:15 PM
Lol. I've scrubbed my driveway before... Pressure cleaner, chemicals, scrubbing brush... The works. Finally fixed the oil leak that was making the mess.

And found out the hard way that a 3l patrol drains a lot quicker than a 2.8 - the poor oil pan funnel couldn't keep up!

squid
20th January 2015, 12:17 AM
I changed the oil a few years ago in my garage, without spilling a drop... I forgot the drip pan and managed to run it over driving out of the garage, in the process I sprayed the car, the walls, the floor and ceiling in oil... Degreaser and Gernie eventually cleaned it all up, I remember it wasn't fun to clean up...