PDA

View Full Version : Best tires for off road

Patrol Freak
29th November 2011, 10:12 AM
G'day all
I'm just wondering what would be the best tires for a bit of every sort of driving.
I was looking at Mickey Thompsons for a while but recently saw pictures of a bloke who blew two in a matter of weeks.
What tires have the strongest wall and last the longest?
Cheers
Jarrod

Bigrig
29th November 2011, 10:33 AM
For all rounders I still reckon you can't beat the Mickey T ATZ 4 Rib tyres. They're right in between an all terrain and a mud terrain - matter of personal opinion mate, but they were the best 'compromise' tyre I've ever had.

growler2058
29th November 2011, 10:34 AM
It's Mickey Thompson MTZ all the way for me! Any tyre subjected to extreme conditions is vulnerable to failure

nowoolies
29th November 2011, 10:38 AM
mickey t`s on my bus ATZ4 ribway to go

i recon if that bloke blew 2 in weeks he was pushing them verrrrrrrrrry hard lol

Dhuck
29th November 2011, 11:40 AM
Go the 4 rib. They are a compromise tyre. Blowing 2 in a matter of weeks is just unfortunate.

Patrol Freak
29th November 2011, 11:50 AM
He was using Mickey T claws and sticks went through the wall of the tyre
I think that's what they were any way
Cheers
Jarrod

Mrowka
1st December 2011, 05:18 AM
"What's the best off-road tire" is probably "It depends on what you want to do with it."

One tire may be best for sand, another for heavy-loaded vehicles towing big loads, another may wear better, another may like mud but not snow and ice, another may be great off tarmac but scary and dangerous on wet asphalt, etc..

Ben-e-boy
1st December 2011, 06:49 PM
I love my maxxis trepadors!!!!!!!!!!!!

cliff
4th December 2011, 09:12 PM
Price does not reflect a good tire either!!!

I have had 3 sets of Mickey's 1 set of Claws and 2 sets of ATZ 4 rib and rate them both. Only down side to the claws is when they are worn past 40% they have bad road manners in the wet! The ATZ's are brilliant in all kinds of terrain, on and off the road. Wear is brilliant, and after sales customer support is brilliant too!!

I'll be throwing a set of the new TTC claws on for play tyres in the next couple of weeks.

Patrol Freak
4th December 2011, 09:22 PM
Looks like the ATZ 4 rib are the way to go.
Cheers for the info guys
Jarrod

rottodiver
5th December 2011, 08:08 PM
I run cooper stt,s and this is my second lot, have had desert duellers (along time ago) and bfg,s and find coopers the strongest and longer lasting

ilovebeer
29th January 2012, 12:38 AM
I have radial Baja claws and found them a little noisy on the road, i also have baja claw bias ply, a bit more noisy on the road but excellent in the bush and strong as, the next tyres I am getting is cooper STTs, good in the bush , good on the road, as an all rounder tyre I have decided on these.,

BenGood
30th January 2012, 05:37 PM
If you're not using them on road, then you can't beat Simex Centipedes. They have a six ply sidewall, grip onto everything like poo on a blanket, and I haven't blown one yet, EVEN at 10psi. Be warned though, they are the WORST tyre on road

thewarrens
30th January 2012, 09:17 PM
I run cooper stt,s and this is my second lot, have had desert duellers (along time ago) and bfg,s and find coopers the strongest and longer lasting

I have 2 set's of tyres, STT's for off the beaten track stuff and getting muddie, and BFG AT's for every day. I have heard good things about many major brands and I would personally always use a good proven brand to ensure I'm not stuck somewhere in the bush going "If only"

tzsafari
15th February 2012, 08:56 PM
Does anyone have recommendations on tube vs. tubeless tires? I've been told that tubes are a better option for rural areas with limited repair services and high chances of puncture (ie. lots of debris/thorns).

Thanks!

megatexture
5th March 2012, 10:09 PM
i rate both st's and mtz's got the coopers on my hilux and mtz on patrol never had any probs with any great tyres!!

Finly Owner
5th March 2012, 10:37 PM
To Quote The "Road Boss" of the Great Endeavour Rally; The right tyre is which ever you choose!

In other words; your budget, your capabilities of handling your vehicle in all terrains, your fuel consumption, your noise level tolerance, your pressure volnurability.

So to summarise; the correct tyre for you should be based on suggestion by other users, suppliers, your needs, and your budget.

Tim

cobra
16th March 2012, 10:43 PM
In my opinion toyo. 10ply are the best and last the longest and ride and perform better

nissannewby
17th March 2012, 12:21 AM
MTZ's are the go any sidewall is gonna be the weak point on a tyre. I run 35" MTZ on my gq and they work extremely well in most conditions. I have km2's on my GU and also rate these tryes highly they have better road manners than the mtz and also work very well in most offroad situations. Best for offroad grip i would be running sticky treps or the simex

Ben-e-boy
17th March 2012, 11:04 AM
MTZ's are the go any sidewall is gonna be the weak point on a tyre. I run 35" MTZ on my gq and they work extremely well in most conditions. I have km2's on my GU and also rate these tryes highly they have better road manners than the mtz and also work very well in most offroad situations. Best for offroad grip i would be running sticky treps or the simex

When the ute turns into a trailer truck i'll be running 37 inch sticky treps

nissannewby
17th March 2012, 05:04 PM
Yeah the next set for my Q will be the same set.

Ben-e-boy
17th March 2012, 06:57 PM
Yeah the next set for my Q will be the same set.

A mate of mine has a set on his comp truck and he wont run anything else now.

BubbaChang
7th April 2012, 03:43 AM
Does anyone run hankook dynapro mt rt03s I've heard a lot of good things about them

dmgq
7th April 2012, 08:53 AM
I run 35' creepy crawlers , they seem to be a good rock tyre

Alan GQpatrol
7th April 2012, 08:12 PM
i have used a fair few different tyres over the last few years including

centerpedes - with and without tubes i thought they were rubbish, twisted 2 tubes with out they went flat in about 2 hours!
MTZs - i thought they were a good tyre but not sure if they were any better than bighorns for the price
BFGs - good tyres only had 1 punchure
Bighorns - loved them awesome off road and wore really well onroad fairly noisy onroad but all muddies are!
and my fav treps - but arnt much chop onroad!

Ben-e-boy
8th April 2012, 11:08 AM
i have used a fair few different tyres over the last few years including

centerpedes - with and without tubes i thought they were rubbish, twisted 2 tubes with out they went flat in about 2 hours!
MTZs - i thought they were a good tyre but not sure if they were any better than bighorns for the price
BFGs - good tyres only had 1 punchure
Bighorns - loved them awesome off road and wore really well onroad fairly noisy onroad but all muddies are!
and my fav treps - but arnt much chop onroad!

treps are the way to go

1MadEngineer
8th April 2012, 01:48 PM
As above, trepadore's! We have had them all, I even sold my 39" red label bfg krawlers to buy our 3rd set of treps. MT's do not even rate, they wanted to sponsor our comp truck but we turned it down cus they perform so badly.

gregs
8th April 2012, 02:34 PM
Have a set of 16" mtz's on steel rims for when we head bush and now they have about 50000+ kms on them and they still have about 10mm tread left. These tyres have done more bitumen than dirt but they have been to Innamincka twice, strezlecki track, great central rd, plenty highway, abercrombie river nat park, flinders ranges, and been to fraser island a couple of times and not one puncture. Performed faultlessly in the mud along the plenty highway, the patrol even pulled out a fully loaded prado and AORC odessey camper from a bog hole on the side of the plenty. Didn't know well they would go in the sand but I just let them down to about 14psi and never had an issue. They are starting to get a bit noisier now and the handling in the wet is not the greatest but I realise this and drive accordingly.

Cheers

Greg