PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light comes on after 5 mins

Ben1702
29th November 2011, 07:46 AM
Hi all great helpful forum I'm new so I'll try not to stuff this up, my gu st with a zd30 just started having a problem where it starts and drives fine but after about 5 or so minutes of driving the check engine light comes on and it looses a massive amount of power, I've gone through and check all fluids done the fuel filter went thru the maf sensor last night but nothing has seemed to make any difference. Ive only had the troll since march and I'm not fully across the whole engine setup so any help is greatly appriciated, thanks for your time cheers Ben

Bigrig
29th November 2011, 08:01 AM
One of the more mechanically minded will be along to assist mate, but things like clogged fuel filter, water in the fuel, mass air flow being dirty, etc are some common (and relatively easy fixes).

For us all - is it blowing smoke? What colour if so? Missing on idle and/or in rev range? Did the light come on not long after a fuel fill? Power loss at all? Etc etc

scotty83
29th November 2011, 08:06 AM
Others may correct me but this sounds like "limp mode". Possibly from over boosting. Have you fitted an exhaust, chip or done any other changes recently?
Do you have any gauges fitted? I am assuming not as you haven't posted any readings or mentioned them.
I would be getting it towed to Nissan and get the error codes checked ASAP.
I own a zd30 but haven't had this problem before.

Sir Roofy
29th November 2011, 09:46 AM
had a mate with the check engine light come on he found a broken wire to the alternator
thinks this was the fault as the light went out and his rig ran fine after that
just a thought,the engine light dosnt say whats wrong so it can be many things

the evil twin
29th November 2011, 01:51 PM
You need to find out the fault code and that will lead you to what to look for...

If it's a CRD then a Scangauge is a great tool otherwise http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?595-Reading-and-erasing-GU-Patrol-fault-codes&highlight=fault+codes

Or you can take it to Nissan, they will usually charge to hook up the Poota and check the codes but unless it is something obvious you are chasing your tail otherwise