PDA

View Full Version : Right side rear suspension subsidence on Safari Y 60, 3 Doors.

Wine_maker
28th November 2011, 08:12 PM
I own this car more than 3 years. All this time the body was strongly horizontal, but this year it began skewing fast on the right side. The difference between top corner of rear wheel side panel on the left side and on the right side is 4 cm.
Please advice how should I fix it?
Should I change the springs of rear suspension or should I use the 2-4 cm spacer plate for lift only right side spring?

Wine_maker
28th November 2011, 08:16 PM
Adding the photo you can see how I measured it.

http://pics.kz/i1/40/44/40442277fe144ced85a84b39d42c61b2_preview.jpg (http://pics.kz/v/mwB)

Bigrig
28th November 2011, 08:43 PM
Suspension sag? Is there heavy weight on that side that may have caused it to sag?

If that's the case, new springs would potentially be the go ...

patch697
28th November 2011, 08:48 PM
Mate, you sure you haven't broken a spring Or the top spring mount?... Its not a common thing in the GQ's & even less common in shorties but its something I'd be checking for.

If its only a sagging spring then replace both the rears or even bite the bullet & replace them all.

Wine_maker
28th November 2011, 10:35 PM
Suspension sag? Is there heavy weight on that side that may have caused it to sag?

If that's the case, new springs would potentially be the go ...

erm, the only heavy weight there is me (70 kg) and the spare wheel. Thats all

Silver
28th November 2011, 10:39 PM
Its not that kite pulling your Safari over? :-)

I think you need to get underneath and compare left with right and see what is different.

Wine_maker
28th November 2011, 10:57 PM
Mate, you sure you haven't broken a spring Or the top spring mount?... Its not a common thing in the GQ's & even less common in shorties but its something I'd be checking for.

If its only a sagging spring then replace both the rears or even bite the bullet & replace them all.

maybe you are right regarding broken spring. But there was no any sound that could say about broken spring. When I looking at that springs when I lifted car I don't see any "pathology". But I haven't checked the top of the spring mount yet. I will do it later for sure.
Thank you all for advices. May be they are already exhaust the resource.

Alexandr

Silver
28th November 2011, 11:08 PM
maybe you are right regarding broken spring. But there was no any sound that could say about broken spring. When I looking at that springs when I lifted car I don't see any "pathology". But I haven't checked the top of the spring mount yet. I will do it later for sure.
Thank you all for advices. May be they are already exhaust the resource.

Alexandr

Hi Alexandr, it seems from this post that you've already had a look underneath while the vehicle was lifted. what about scooting under there while the wheels are still on the ground and comparing the spring height under load?

Wine_maker
28th November 2011, 11:27 PM
Hi Silver!
I think this kite is a little light weighted to pooling it on the side :) But ho is know .....

What do you mean by "scooting under there while the wheels are still on the ground and comparing the spring height under load? "
Remove the springs and comparing its without any load?

Silver
28th November 2011, 11:52 PM
Hi Silver!
I think this kite is a little light weighted to pooling it on the side :) But ho is know .....

What do you mean by "scooting under there while the wheels are still on the ground and comparing the spring height under load? "
Remove the springs and comparing its without any load?

No wasn't thinking of removing the springs.

I think you said you'd looked under the Safari while it was lifted - if it is on a hoist lifted by the chassis, unless the spring sag is really pronounced, so that the top of the spring wasn't touching the top mount, I think a sag would be hard to see.

If you've lifted the rear on a trolley jack under the diff centre, then maybe that would be more reliable, but my GQ wagon lifts one rear wheel before the other from memory when lifted on a trolley jack - thus I suggest looking at the spring heights with all four wheels on the ground

If the Safari is on the ground on all four wheels, and spring sag is a problem, then the height of the spring under load will be less on that side.

And if that is the case, I'd get new springs.

If you've had the thing on a hoist I reckon you'd be able to see whether a spring mount was broken.

Wine_maker
29th November 2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks much!
Following your advice I will again lift whole vehicle with lifted the chassis to inspect the mount place and try to see the difference between wheels when I began to lift vehicle with trolley jack.

Silver
29th November 2011, 06:05 PM
Good luck with it Wine Maker. I think you'd get a better idea of what the springs are like with all 4 wheels on the ground :-)

Let us know how you go!