PDA

View Full Version : Replacing of Carpet in a Gu Patrol and Installation of a ARB CKMTA12 Air Compressor

hutchy84
28th November 2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Guys i have just started to remove my carpet in my GU for replacement and thought u guys might be interested.
I have also bought a ARB CKMTA12 - Maximum Performance On-Board Aircompressor which i am going to mount under my seat it.

The carpet and sound proof underlay i have bought is brandnew and doesent have any cut outs so i will be making all the cut outs my self.

So this is a pic of what i have done in 3hrs yesturday and will continue to do throughout the week after work.

hutchy84
1st December 2011, 12:04 PM
Here is my progress so far looking good just a little slow as limited time after work

AB
1st December 2011, 12:32 PM
Looking good so far mate, yeah just take your time and no rush...Keep us updated!!!

hutchy84
1st December 2011, 04:46 PM
Just to let you know guys that once you cut your passenger or drivers side front underlay the left over piece fits the opposite side

And i purchased the carpet and sound proof underlay from all car carpets here is there link if anyone is intrested they are quiet cheap and really good quality

http://www.all-car-carpets.com.au/

Steveo_the_Devo
2nd December 2011, 04:52 AM
I'm thinking about mounting the same compressor under the passenger seat too. Keep the pics coming, looking forward to the final result

hutchy84
2nd December 2011, 10:35 AM
I have finished half the cars underlay now i just have to go and get some quick grip to glu the underlay down in a couple of sections so when it comes time to install the carpet it can be done with a bit more ease as the underlay moves around a bit and also sits up a bit

Just one other tip when removing the old carpet and underlay - the old underlay likes to stick to the floor i found using a wire brush lightly it removed it with ease

hutchy84
5th December 2011, 04:49 PM
Well guys when i removed the back section of carpet i found a substancial amount of engine oil under the carpet and as i found out they knoced over engine oil in the back so i had to do a bit of a clean up then i fitted the rest of the underlay and have started making my brackets for my compressor. i would have had alot more done on the weekend but were circumbed to food poisoning but any way this is where im at with this at the moment

The first photo shows how much of a mess was under the carpet least therre is no rust

Second photo is just to show how clean it come up

Third is all the underlay in position

Skull
5th December 2011, 10:04 PM
Be carefull with your carpet. I pulled mine after windscreen leak and replace all the underlay with closed cell foam so it could not soak up water. The problem was after cleaning the carpet it shrank as it dried. Not by much but I really had to pull to get the clips through the hole along door skid plates. If I did it again I would have refitted it still a lil wet and let it dry in situe. 2Yrs and the bastard still has not come back to size.

hutchy84
6th December 2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks skull i will keep this in mind for the future i am replacing every thing the oil has screwed everything up

hutchy84
9th January 2012, 01:23 PM
Sorry for the delay guys but hear is the finish of the carpet and compressor installation

For the front section of the carpet it needs to be cut in half ( Photo 1 )

Once cut in half you then lay each section onto place and start marking it up for installation ensure that it is in the right spot as once cut there is no going back.

Photo 2

Shows the finished carpet install before the fitting of the trims and interior

hutchy84
9th January 2012, 01:44 PM
Now for the Compressor

The compressor is the largest in ARB's Range

First of all i purchased some 40 x 40 x 3ea

I then cut 4 sections @ 100mm marked out a centerline on the 4 angle sections then i marked out the hole centers which were 60mm apart - so each angle section has 2 holes in it on 1 side of the angle only.

I the trimmed 2 pieces of the angl on one side down to 15mm i then attached them together and welded them, i left the other sections as is and welded them together this alows for the compressor to sit level.

I then attached the brackets to the compressor and with a paint pen i marked the locations and then cut out the sections of carpet to be removed for the drilling process.

I remarked the holes and then drilled the 4 holes with a 8mm drill bit. i purchased stainless bolts for the bolting of the compressor down.

I painted the brackets with just a cold galvanising paint.

The compressor sits perfectly under my seat without fowling with the seats sliding mechanism.

For the electrical install.

I puchased 2, 2 mtrs of 50amp positive wire and 2 meters of 50 amp negative wire and some heat shrink along with 3 battery terminal conectors.

I taped the three sections of wire together and with just some fencing wire i taped the bundle of wire to so that i could feed the Power wires from the inside of the cab to the engine bay.

I then solderd the wires to the compressor wiring harness and heated the heat shrink. ( Important make sure the heat shrink goes on first ) I then cut the wires to size and soldered the battery terminal connectors to the wires.

For the switch install i installed it to the center console as it has three swith locations there and for the accessory power wires for operation i just installed to the cigarete wires as this is only for switch operation purposes.

Upon purchasing the compressor it comes with all the wiring diagrams you need.

All the wiring sits perfectly under the carpet and you wouldnt evan know it was there.

hutchy84
9th January 2012, 01:51 PM
Installation of Seats and Trims

For the installation of the Trims and seats i got a phillips screwdriver and found the holes and then i cut around the holes with a stanley knife so there is no way of puting the holes in the wrong place

hutchy84
9th January 2012, 01:52 PM
Guys if you would like any more info just ask and i can let you know

Hope this is a help for anyone going to tackle this job

Clunk
9th January 2012, 02:32 PM
excellent work there Hutchy

MudRunnerTD
9th January 2012, 03:48 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm? NIIICCEEE Compressor there bud, Real nice.!! If i had my time again I'd have one is a blink.

I got to borrow one a few weeks ago and it took 2:30mins to pump up a Simex ET2 35/10.5/16 from 18psi to 40. Not too bad at all. It was doing great until the bloke beside me used his endless air to do his 35s in half the time again!!

Hey Carpet looks the goods too mate. well done

Bigrig
9th January 2012, 04:11 PM
Top job all round mate!! Carpet looks a treat and top write up with pics to take us through it!!

Kram
11th January 2012, 03:04 PM
Well done Hutchy watching with keen interest due to me having to do the same at some stage. Thanks Mate

hutchy84
12th January 2012, 10:32 AM
Well done Hutchy watching with keen interest due to me having to do the same at some stage. Thanks Mate

Kram i would allow a few days so your not rushed i couldnt use my old carpet as a template due to the oil on the carpet so i had to start from scratch not to mention the oil i had to clean out

mrcrazydude
12th January 2012, 01:14 PM
Hutchy - I'm really thinking about getting one of those compressors, but a bit worried about the noise inside the cabin.
ie. for the moment it would just run direct to tyres etc, but in bad / cold weather, there would still be people sitting inside the car. Would the noise be loud enough the be painful, or just irritating for the time its being used.

going forward I would probably connect it to an external tank, so it would probably kick in and out occasionally even when not being used. This would be better in that the thank could be primed while camped etc, so noone is in the car, but would still kick in due to use or leaks etc.

Would you sit in the car with the compressor running under the seat?
Is it louder than say having the stereo playing while driving??

Thanks mate, I've been looking for sooo long for anyone who has actually got one, and finally found this, AND its even in a Patrol!!
(+ I kinda need to purchase a compressor today/tomorrow if i can :-(

hutchy84
12th January 2012, 02:59 PM
Hey Mr Crazy dude

The noise from this compressor really isnt going to bother you i thought it was going to be louder than it actually is and for the amount of time it takes to pump up your tyres really isnt an issue i pump up a set of BFG A/T 285/75R16 from 12PSI to 40PSI in around 7 Minutes

The way the wiring harness provided is set up to run only whilst the accessories is on and i strongly reccomend to only run the commpressor whilst the car is running as it is required to be connected to your main battery also if you get the correct hoses and have good fittings and use a good sealant on your threads it shouldnt leak at all so once pressurised you wont have the intermittant on and of
I Recommend stainless steel braided lines and to get someboby like pirtek so you can get those compression fittings that way your garenteed it wont leak

My set up is with out the tank for the moment but to be perfectly honest if you arent running air lockers there is probably no reall need for the tank as this compressor is really efficient i would have to say this would be one of the best things i have installed on my car

Also i have mounted mine under my drivers side seat and as you can also see i just got some normal air line and a couple of fittings from my local industrial paint supply place and in total that only cost me all up $13

Also it doesent run to hot either

mrcrazydude
12th January 2012, 03:35 PM
Amazing!
Thanks for the response Hutchy.

is it useable in the guise you purchase it? - ie. if I don't get around to mounting and plumbing it immediately, is it possible to connect a hose & the battery terminals without anything extra (ie. has the standard air output on it)

Cheers,
Tim

hutchy84
12th January 2012, 03:50 PM
Mrcrazydude

When you purchased your compressor if you look at my first picture of the compressor thats how it comes in the compressor kit you get the fitting to attach to the compressor and by memory i think that is it

I also purchased the air line kit also which com with the general clip up fittings as for the blue air line and the brass fittings you see in the second pic i purchased them separatly

As for using the compressor without it being mounted i would not reccomend it at all even though it runs very smoothly it really isnt set up for leaving it on the ground and it is to bulky to try and leave sit on the engine bay somewhere.

Also you will need to purchase some 50 amp positive wire and 50amp negative wire aswell, also 3 battery terminal connectors the reason why i mounted it on my drivers side is that i didnt have to travel as far to the battery as with a longer distance to travel you are creating more resistance in getting the power to the compressor.

mrcrazydude
12th January 2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks!
Yeah, I noticed the blue one with the fitting, didn't realise you'd bought that separate.
Was that from ARB or pirtek etc?

hutchy84
12th January 2012, 04:29 PM
i made the section up myself the gear i just bought from a industrial painting place but if i was going to put a tank in i would get stainless braided lines made up for me

Lahej_sas
18th February 2012, 07:15 AM
nice job ,, i was planning to install a air compressor and was wondering where is the perfect place, i think under the seat was a good place

jackwalks
20th April 2012, 03:26 PM
An absolute outstanding self install there Hutchy, I am planning on replacing my carpet in the near future (meh, maybe around xmas time). I have saved this post for future reference.

In regards to the underlay, have you noticed a resonable difference from before the replacement to now with soundproofing?? I am not sure what track I should go down i.e: sound vs water proofing.

I was also looking at installing a compressor under the seat, but I have a nasty history with anything to do with electicity.

Thankyou for all those pics, I dont feel so worried now about ripping my internals out now :)