PDA

View Full Version : GQ door window rubber clips - removal

Silver
27th November 2011, 10:45 PM
G'day.

At some stage someone removed the window rubbers that go inside the window across the top of the door.

The rubbers are held in with clips. I have bought replacement rubbers that came with new clips, but can't work out how to either remove the old clips, or having removed the clips from the rubbers, how to fit the new rubbers to the old clips, as the clips just slide down out of the way.

Any tips appreciated !!

Killametre
27th November 2011, 11:12 PM
you need to remove the clips from the door in an upward direction with a seal pick or small flat blade that you can get in there, there are little sharp bits on the clip that make it grip and cause resistance to removal. Fit the new clips or old to the rubber there should be cut out bits where they go then install complete rubber and clip assy downward on the door with firm pressure (all with the window down of course)

Cheers Andrew

Silver
27th November 2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks Andrew!

I can see the little sharp bits you speak of on the new clips - and I was forced by experience to accept that they were stopping me from removing the clip, but couldn't work out why, or how to fix it! I was hoping not to have to remove the door trim or something - and thanks to your advice, I can now restart the project - I appreciate your help.

Killametre
27th November 2011, 11:33 PM
No worries, good timing I had to fit one the other day to the GQ I just bought and struck the same thing every time i pushed the rubber down the clips went too. then I tried to remove them and they put up a bit of a fight I thought something was going to break but they came out. thats when I noticed the little sharp bits. A 90 degree seal pick worked best for me as you can dig the sharp end in then pull up.
Cheers Andrew

WoffoDave
10th December 2011, 06:45 PM
Jumping in here guys, but I am having the same problem on my Safari.

What is a seal pick?
I figured there was some specialty tool that the car yard might have but didn't want to have to turn the house upside down to find something useful...

Cheers
Dave

Killametre
11th December 2011, 12:24 AM
Hi Dave A seal pick is like a small screwdriver but the tip has a sharp point and you can get them with various bends I found the 90deg one handy, just had a mate retint my windows today and I used a small flatblade screwdriver to pry the clip away from the panel far enough to be able to grab it with needle nose pliers to the same result as thats all i had avail. My mate sugested another way he does it is to leave the clips in the door and install the rubber with a plastic tool he has wich is about at thick as a plastic ruler but wider and has a handle so you can push down in the chanel in the centre of the seal strip, he tells me this lets you push it further down to engage the clips??? By that time i had the remaining clips out anyway.

Cheers Andrew

Jumping in here guys, but I am having the same problem on my Safari.

What is a seal pick?
I figured there was some specialty tool that the car yard might have but didn't want to have to turn the house upside down to find something useful...

Cheers
Dave

WoffoDave
11th December 2011, 08:10 AM
Thanks, I'll give it another crack.
Think I have a putty knife somewhere which might do the same trick as your mates plastic blade...

WoffoDave
11th December 2011, 12:45 PM
Hi team,
in way of thanks I have uploaded some photos (to my gallery) of the tools and method I used.
There should be:
A side image of the clips showing the backside that digs into the frame (looking down along the line of the trim)
A closer version of same
The tool I used (buying that expensive tramp a while ago finally paid off - the hook is the spring puller)
Showing the door frame (at the lock), you should be able to make out the clip hole in the top right of the "lock" hole. The Hook is running from top left to bottom right and the point of the hook is in the "lock" well (at about the point needed to push the back of the clip up)
Same "lock" hole without the hook in image
Same "lock" hole showing roughly the angle I has to use the hook at.
Finally: the clip point closest to the door hinge, showing the hook "up and under" the frame pressing up on the back of the clip.

I found that a little upwards pressure with the hook was enough to pop the top of the clip out enough to grab with a pair of long nose pliers.
Put into trim in the right place, re-seat.

Job done!

Thanks to Andrew for pointing us in the right direction.

Dave

Killametre
11th December 2011, 10:26 PM
No worries glad to help

cheers Andrew

Silver
14th December 2011, 11:39 PM
EDIT - didn't push my trim down far enough, so after a couple of days it was floating free again. I followed Killameters other method and removed the clips.

To do this I slid a small screwdriver between the top of the clip and the top of the window/door frame, and then reefed the clip up. initially I did this the wrong way - I was trying to ease the tongue part of the clip free of the edge of the hole - not succesful for me.

Having got the clips out, I tidied them up, made sure everything was straight again, re-bent any of the little spikes that looked like they needed it, and installed them onto the rubber trim with pliers. making sure the legs on the clip were fully home onto the rubber.

Then lined up the tongues with the holes, and popped them in, using my trusty spatula/scraper shaped plastic trim tool.

(Original post follows)

Hi, finally got mine sorted tonight, using the method recommended by Killameter/Andrew's mate.

I used a plastic trim removal tool shaped a bit like a paint scraper to push the rubber down into the clips - if you look down inside the rubber you can see where the clips go, and if the trim is held against that part of the door and tilted a bit, the clips themselves become (more) visible as well.

Once lined up, a reasonably energetic push with the tool got the rubber trim down nice and snug. Just worked my way along from clip to clip.

I reckon the end of a pretty sturdy plastic ruler would do the job - or even a rat through the kitchen utensil drawer for a spatula or firm plastic scraper.

If you want a pic of the tool I ended up using, it is part of a Toledo Trim Remover Set 5 Piece part # 313311 - 4th from top in the packet, and had a bit of a go with a couple of the others.

Thanks again for all your help