PDA

View Full Version : TB42 Engine Coolant Drain Plug

oldtimer40
27th November 2011, 04:50 PM
Hi Guys,

Stupid question: Does anybody know EXACTLY WHERE the engine coolant drain plug is??

The manual says it's and the left side rear of the engine block, which is extremely vague!!!

Does left-side mean inlet-maifold-side or exhaust-manifold-side? There are 2-Lefts in this world you know...

I un-screwed at 14mm plug on the Exhaust side and no coolant came out, and can't see any more plugs except for welsh plugs.

Need to empty the coolant from the engine, because it has Cargo Seal-up that needs to come out.

Thanks.

Airstrike
27th November 2011, 05:09 PM
I had t remove the factory plate that was blocking it. then it was on my left from the drivers position. So right as your looking at the front. Thats for a 92 model.

Stumpjumper
27th November 2011, 05:10 PM
Left is Left while you sit in the vehicle, get under and look up under the exhaust mani.
Find the engine mount go back 3 welchplugs and next is the drain.

Sir Roofy
27th November 2011, 05:12 PM
Hi Guys,

Stupid question: Does anybody know EXACTLY WHERE the engine coolant drain plug is??

The manual says it's and the left side rear of the engine block, which is extremely vague!!!

Does left-side mean inlet-maifold-side or exhaust-manifold-side? There are 2-Lefts in this world you know...

I un-screwed at 14mm plug on the Exhaust side and no coolant came out, and can't see any more plugs except for welsh plugs.

Need to empty the coolant from the engine, because it has Cargo Seal-up that needs to come out.

Thanks.

lookiing at the manual ive got its on the left ,inlet manifold
good luck with it

oldtimer40
27th November 2011, 06:06 PM
They don't make it easy...

took a picture, but the "insert image" is asking for am http:// site to upload image... how do you do that? Who has the time for such things.

Anyway I have to descibe in words:

Exhaust side of engine --> Engine Mount --> 1st 40mm Welsh Plug direct above --> 2nd 40mm Welsh Plug --> Square Plate with 4 x 10mm bolts --> 14mm plug when removed nothing came out --> 3rd 40mm Welsh plug --> then right up the top near the head is a 12mm bolt covered in oil, etc, which is very hard to remove.

I tried removing the plate with the 4 bolts, but it's stuck on good. Don't want to wedge screwdriver and bash it with a hammer... could deform it.

had a look on the inlet manifold side could not see anything there...

Only thing I can think of is the get a 40mm replacement welsh plug, and bash out a welsh plug to empty the coolant in there.

Clunk
27th November 2011, 06:17 PM
click on 'go advanced' then click on the 'paper clip' and you can upload direct from you computer that way, just make sure the size is small enough to upload

Sir Roofy
27th November 2011, 06:22 PM
its right at the back of the motor
take a staight line down from the back of the head down a bit from the top of the flywheel houseing

Stumpjumper
27th November 2011, 06:55 PM
See here.............just so happens I am underneath cleaning...............again, bloody salt lake mud!!! starts to rust in seconds!!!

Stumpjumper
27th November 2011, 06:59 PM
Now these here pics are a TB 4.2 E, efi model 92, I think thats the same as yours.
There should be coolant behind this plug, I cracked mine and its there alright. SO if theres no coolant coming out is it blocked? Try poking a wire in the hole see if theres sludge.

Clunk
27th November 2011, 07:15 PM
See here.............just so happens I am underneath cleaning...............again, bloody salt lake mud!!! starts to rust in seconds!!!

jeez that is clean under there!!!!!! Almost makes me feel like I should get under mine and give it a good scrub............. almost lol................ think I might wait until the missus has a job for me then maybe I'll go and hide under the car lol

Stumpjumper
27th November 2011, 08:18 PM
Get the missus under there with you, tell her its romantic or you should be doing things as a family............they like to see things all clean an tidy like

oldtimer40
27th November 2011, 08:25 PM
Yes, I thought that was it. It's a 14mm, I removed it and nothing happened. I will try poking a peice of wire in there. Thanks fot that.

I got a funny feeling it could be clogged with sludge as the coolant was just clear water and brown rust in the overflow bottle which I cleaned out with little stones, when I first got is 3 months ago.

I am hoping it is'nt clogged up with Cargo Seal-Up, Bars Leaks or some other stuff from the last owners attempt to hide a leaky head gasket before selling it?!?

Seems to be a bit of that going on these days, it's the 3rd 6 cylinder car I've had and all had head gaskets on the way, which you find out a few months done the track. I think when people hear that bubbling in the dash noise, it's time to move it on...

oldtimer40
27th November 2011, 10:49 PM

Thanks Stumpjumper. This is exactly where it is.

Removed the bolt, and poked a stiff wire in there then it started to trickle out. Not fast enough, so I put in a flat blade screwdriver and 'lo and behold' it all started gushing it.

It had RUST and corrosion blocking up the hole. I bet it was the first time thats been done before, the whole bottom of the container was full of little bits of rust...I wonder what state the head gasket is in after seeing that...just the same i would bet. Thanks again.

Clunk
27th November 2011, 10:59 PM
Get the missus under there with you, tell her its romantic or you should be doing things as a family............they like to see things all clean an tidy like

hahahahaha yeah ok, I'll give it a go and see what she says

advarp
6th February 2013, 05:36 PM
Can anyone pls provide a part number for that bolt, Nissan Village Strathpine people swear they have never heard of it and mine ids getting a round head slowly... Oh also they sold me a wrong bolt - by the time I got to use it (coolant change) I realised it was way wrong size, too small :-( I have the service manual but no part numbers just torques.

Part number anyone, TB42S 1991? MANY THANKS!