PDA

View Full Version : A lot of smoke issues on a SD33 engine

ipatrol26
27th November 2011, 10:32 AM
Itīs me again,

My SD33 engine its been sitting down for a bit more than three months without start and I donīt know if thatīs the issue but when I started it thereīs a lot of smoke coming out of it and not just a lot but a cloud of smoke (neither white or black smoke just the right color) like a very heavy fire.

Now since I am doing a project I havenīt put the complete exhaust system yet so all I have is the manifold so I am just wondering if thatīs whatīs causing a lot of smoke ?????????????

YNOT
27th November 2011, 10:42 AM
The right color smoke is no smoke, it should run cleanly without a full exhaust.
Did you tip the engine upside down while it was out of the car? Oil may have leaked into the combustion chambers if you did.
Have you bled the fuel system and got the glow plugs working properly?

Tony

ipatrol26
27th November 2011, 11:10 AM
Well it wasnīt upside down but but it did lay side ways a couple of times so maybe thatīs why but it should clear after a while right ????. Now what do you mean by "having the glow plugs working properly" ?, I do need to change the glow plugs thought.

I donīt want to sound stupid but maybe I am. HOW DO I BLEED THE FUEL SYSTEM?? I donīt have the complete fuel system yet as well I ONLY have the diesel line inside a diesel gallon and from there to the diesel filter and into the diesel pump, I havenīt done the complete system because I yet still need to do other things.

Help please.

YNOT
27th November 2011, 11:24 AM
If there was oil in the engine when you lay it on its side that would be enough for the oil to get into the combustion chambers, and yes it should clear after a while. Oil smoke is blue.

The glow plugs need to be getting power before you start the engine and for 10 - 30 seconds (depending on temperature) after starting, and the glow plugs themselves need to be working. Glow plugs not working will make the engine hard to start and smokey on start up.

All the air needs to be bled out of the fuel system. Loosen the fuel inlet line to the injector pump and pump the hand primer on top of the fuel filter until you get a steady stream of fuel with no bubbles coming out of the fuel line. Tighten that hose. Start the engine and crack open the fuel lines on top of the injectors one at a time, you only need to loosen them about 1/4 turn. You will see fuel spraying out around the fuel pipe and the engine will run a bit rough while that cylinder is not getting any fuel. After a few seconds retighten the fuel line and move to the next injector until they are all done.

Tony

ipatrol26
27th November 2011, 11:39 AM
Well even though the engine was on it sides a couple of time the oil was taking out of it for good but there could still be something left inside which is causing a lot of smoke now. Now the glow plugs seem to heat just fine but I still need to replace them just to be certain.

Now when you refer to the ""fuel inlet line to the injector pump"" you mean the ones that are right on top on top of the injection pump going to the injectors or you mean the ones that are right on top of the incetors it self OR BOTH ?????.

Thank you very much for your help by the way.

YNOT
27th November 2011, 12:05 PM
The fuel circuit should be; Tank - fuel filter/lift pump - injector pump - injectors.

You need to bleed the system in that order, so if you follow the hose from the fuel filter/lift pump down to the injector pump that is the inlet line to the pump. Bleed here first.
The six lines on the top of the pump going to the injectors are what you loosen at the injector end to bleed second, but do each injector individually.

I don't have all the answers and I'm not overly familiar with the SD33 engine but I'll do what I can to help.

Tony

the ferret
27th November 2011, 02:38 PM
I don't have all the answers and I'm not overly familiar with the SD33 engine but I'll do what I can to help.

Tony

Hey Tony, they are a pretty old engine, so you can be excused lol.
I remember when they came out in 1981, I wanted on sooooo bad.
Anyway, the fuel primer is on the injector pump itself,there is a bleeder on the side of the injector pump and yes, bleed the injectors at the injector.(2 spanners)
Cheers. the ferret.