PDA

View Full Version : Sump protectors

DX grunt
28th August 2010, 08:07 PM
Seeing the undercarriage of Dogman's old patrol reminded me about sump protectors.

Does anybody have one? What are the pro's and con's, if any?

Ross

patch697
28th August 2010, 08:10 PM
Not yet but I'll be watching this so I can get some ideas..... Thanks in advance Guys.

Cheers
Paul

Finly Owner
28th August 2010, 08:22 PM
I have to fit Finly. Apparently factory option. All the Endeavour rally cars have them. the best I've seen made bolt onto usally cross mebers and gear box mounts with counter sunk tapered bolts. This alieviates hook ups on bolt heads. As with all mods, the thicker the heavier. Shorter pieces to reach convenient place seem to be stronger than on larger long piece.

Mine has been fabricated with two sheets of metal. the piece facing sump is flat with holes cut out for fluid and debri escape. the second which is welded to the first is basically ribbed I suppose the best way to explain it. with the same holes in it. The holes would also reduce some weight as the ribs produce the strength.

Hope this helps

DX grunt
28th August 2010, 08:27 PM
I have to fit Finly. Apparently factory option. All the Endeavour rally cars have them. the best I've seen made bolt onto usally cross mebers and gear box mounts with counter sunk tapered bolts. This alieviates hook ups on bolt heads. As with all mods, the thicker the heavier. Shorter pieces to reach convenient place seem to be stronger than on larger long piece.

Mine has been fabricated with two sheets of metal. the piece facing sump is flat with holes cut out for fluid and debri escape. the second which is welded to the first is basically ribbed I suppose the best way to explain it. with the same holes in it. The holes would also reduce some weight as the ribs produce the strength.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info Tim. From memory, ARB sell them, and they're red - and all u have to do is bolt them on. I may be wrong?

Woof
28th August 2010, 09:06 PM
I think what you are talking about Ross are dif protectors as they are red.

DX grunt
28th August 2010, 10:15 PM
I think what you are talking about Ross are dif protectors as they are red.

You're right - again - Wayne.

I knew it was something underneath the driver's seat I was thinking about. Let's keep the thread going.

I might learn some more. lolol