PDA

View Full Version : Window defrost system

Nach323
22nd November 2011, 10:18 AM
Hello all,

I've looked in the forum to see if anybody had posted any improvements to their trucks for the winter weather. In particular I'm looking at defoggers for the back side windows and windshield. My brother had a '95 safari TD and i believe his had defogger in the back side windows as well as on the windshield... I don't know about anybody else in here but even after turning on the heat at full blast most of my windows get fogged; I use the liquid defog from CDN tire but when there's more than one person in the truck it doesn't work very well.

I found a link for an aftermarket defogger but would like to hear back from some of you to see if anybody has added defroster systems to the back side windows and windshield.

http://www.frostfighter.com/prt2600.htm

I've also considered just buying the electric defrosters and screw it some place in the cargo area...

I've also found aftermarket seat heaters which I'm also considering to buy.

http://www.frostfighter.com/prt2600.htm

Cheers.
Luis.

Nach323
22nd November 2011, 10:34 AM
Guess i forgot to mention that mine is a 1991 GQ with the 4.2 diesel engine.

AB
22nd November 2011, 10:39 AM
Same car as mine mate. You should have the rear barn door defoggers as standard?

I have the same problem with the rear sides and it makes it impossible to see whats going on when reversing in tight bush areas.

Nach323
22nd November 2011, 10:45 AM
I was talking to another guy from Vancouver who's got the same truck and he mentioned that the rear vents might be blocked because he says he doesn't have that problem. I don't know how to unblock the vents though, I know that no air comes out of them because I checked them before and actually thought they were there just for show. I'm going to try find out how to do that first but I still think that installing a defroster systems might be a good addition...

Yeah, there rear doors come with the defoggers, but it's all the other windows that fog up and yeah, it's just like you said, makes it impossible to see what's around you specially when you are in tight spots.

Nach323
22nd November 2011, 11:07 AM
Forgot to ask, do the Nissan Safari and patrol run on 12v or 24v in Australia, or you can find both types?

Bigrig
22nd November 2011, 12:19 PM
Forgot to ask, do the Nissan Safari and patrol run on 12v or 24v in Australia, or you can find both types?

Safari's are 24volt and Patrols are 12volt mate - not sure if there are some 12 volt safari's out there, but predominantly 24.

Bucky
22nd November 2011, 05:06 PM
I had a patrol that was 24 volt very annoying to get electrical stuff for sometimes

Finly Owner
22nd November 2011, 11:25 PM
Nice link thanks

Tim

MudRunnerTD
22nd November 2011, 11:29 PM
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.... Do you use your Air Conditioning system in the car? If not then you should turn it on even with the heater on and it will sort out most of the fog issues. Your talking extremes there but it should make a massive difference.

Clunk
22nd November 2011, 11:55 PM
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.... Do you use your Air Conditioning system in the car? If not then you should turn it on even with the heater on and it will sort out most of the fog issues. Your talking extremes there but it should make a massive difference.

x2 with Mud runner here, used to do this in the winter months in the UK, A/C on with your heater and switch your vents to recirculate the air instead of drawing it in from the outside........turning on the A/C acts as a de-humidifier so helps keep moisture in the air to a minimum. Admittedly not good for you're fuel economy but will definitely improve your all round vision

Silver
23rd November 2011, 12:43 AM
I think those rear vents, at least in the standard trim patrols, are to help air in the cabin be extracted to the outside world. Dunno about those more fancy models, not owning one :-)

Nach323
23rd November 2011, 04:32 AM
I was going to try turning on the A/C this morning and switch the vents to recirculate the air but today just happen to be a beautiful sunny day.. so I'll have to wait until tomorrow when the rain gets back.

Also, I just realised I wrote the same link twice last night, for the aftermarket defroster only. here is the other link for the heated seats.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/24v-or-48v-seat-heater---heated-seats-kit.html

Thanks for all the replies.

canuck
23rd November 2011, 09:32 AM
I was talking to another guy from Vancouver who's got the same truck and he mentioned that the rear vents might be blocked because he says he doesn't have that problem. I don't know how to unblock the vents though, I know that no air comes out of them because I checked them before and actually thought they were there just for show. I'm going to try find out how to do that first but I still think that installing a defroster systems might be a good addition...

Actually, I am not in Vancouver but in Abbotsford. IIRC, all you need is to remove a few screws from the outside. From the inside, you need to remove the trim. When you get enough posts,you can download the FSM. But as i said, I have 5 of us in the Safari with two wet golden retrievers and don't have problems. The only time I had problems was when I had the water leak. If you are going to pull off the interior trim, then get yourself a trim remover. That will help prevent you from busting things up. Princess Auto in New West or Langley has a variety of them. Or you can also get them at KMS and other tool supply shops.

Nach323
23rd November 2011, 09:59 AM
I thought I could just remove the covers from the outside and use a vacuum cleaner to suck all the dust and clear the pipes..... guess it takes a little bit more than that, eh?

canuck
23rd November 2011, 03:31 PM
If someone blocked them off, you may have to remove the interior trim. It is easy to first remove the exterior covers and see. The trim isn't hard either and the tool cost under $10 at Princess Auto.

Keep on posting and telling folks about your rig. You'll hit that magic 25 in no time at all to download the FSM. :wink:

Nach323
25th November 2011, 09:48 AM
I've tried defogging the windows using the A/C and recirculating the the air from inside the cabin and that actually works pretty fast. Found that once your windows are completely defogged you don't turn the A/C off, what you do first is switch the air flow so you get outside air first and only after some time you then turn the A/C off. otherwise your windows get all foggie again. On the weekend I'll remove the rear vents and figure out how to clean them.