PDA

View Full Version : altrnater sleeping

robus1
22nd November 2011, 05:06 AM
hello can anybodey help with alternater truble. parked up 5 weeks ago with leekey rad, now fixed rad just to fined alternater not charging.
It has 1 x thick white wire which goes to 24v battery turminel i assume is the charging power out

1x thin white/red tracer wire (which i think goes to the battery warning lite. The battery warning lite goes out when i unplug it)

1x medium white wire which goes to 24v battery turminel which i assume is the power in
Ive got 24v on the white/red wire and 24v on the thick white wire no change with reving engine. no differance if i turn lites on, slite v drop as exspected.

can anybodey id make of alternater .any advice for testing internal conponents of alternater. ( the money pot is dry for macanics so will have to fix myself, hear we go again)cheers for any help

Bigrig
22nd November 2011, 08:23 AM
One of the electrically minded lads will be along to assist no doubt mate - hang tight.

Yendor
22nd November 2011, 01:22 PM
The wiring you have described it sounds like the alternator has an internal regulator. I thought the MKs had an external regulator???. Is there a square box mounted on the guard near the alternator with about 6 to 8 wires going to it?.

Does the warning light come on when the ignition is turn on and then go off when the engine is running?

What voltage are you seeing at the battery and back of the alternator at a fast idle?

robus1
23rd November 2011, 06:55 AM
hello, no box of wires. bothe whites are live at all times as should be according to manuel. white with red trace goes to charge lite then according to manuel recives power on ignition. lite coomes on with ignition and stays on. voltge at bat is 24v. voltge going in to alternater is 24v. voltage cooming out is 24v. same when running at higer reves , no change.

Yendor
23rd November 2011, 08:17 AM
I would remove the alternator, strip it down and inspect. It could be something simple like sticking brushes.

Are there any signs of an oil leak from the bottom of the alternator?

It looks like a hitachi alternator.

Finly Owner
23rd November 2011, 11:28 PM
MK have internal regulators. Hitachi alternators is correct. New one approx $380.00 for 12v one. I found it hard to get just regulator only.

Where R U Robus?

Tim

the ferret
24th November 2011, 12:02 AM
hello can anybodey help with alternater truble. parked up 5 weeks ago with leekey rad, now fixed rad just to fined alternater not charging.
It has 1 x thick white wire which goes to 24v battery turminel i assume is the charging power out

1x thin white/red tracer wire (which i think goes to the battery warning lite. The battery warning lite goes out when i unplug it)

1x medium white wire which goes to 24v battery turminel which i assume is the power in
Ive got 24v on the white/red wire and 24v on the thick white wire no change with reving engine. no differance if i turn lites on, slite v drop as exspected.

can anybodey id make of alternater .any advice for testing internal conponents of alternater. ( the money pot is dry for macanics so will have to fix myself, hear we go again)cheers for any help
I don't spose not having a belt on it would be the problem lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

Yendor
24th November 2011, 12:19 AM
I don't spose not having a belt on it would be the problem lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

I thought you were out hunting drop bears.........

the ferret
24th November 2011, 12:28 AM
I thought you were out hunting drop bears.........
Wait'n fer a full moon Rodney, and I know where you've been!! lol
Cheers, the ferret.

robus1
24th November 2011, 06:59 AM
has got belt on, its got twin pulley for some reason. striped it down, bushes, berings all ok. have taken it to shop and they rekon diods gone. will be looking into manuel on servicing alternaters and starter moters. seems to be a lot of money to be made in replacing a diode. cheers for all youre help

Mr Toad
31st December 2011, 03:45 PM
Mine packed up a few weeks ago, it turned out that the diode was shot too. I live in the Philippines and the local auto electrician(who is very good at his job) was able to repair it even though the required diode was not available. The repair was quite expensive by Philippine standards too!

philfree
31st December 2011, 07:07 PM
hi you should be able to buy a replacement rectifer plate and just unsolder - unbolt the stator and regulator and put the new one in reassamble makeing sure you dont damage the brushes and should be good

GQ TANK
24th April 2012, 04:56 PM
Some mks have internal some external - my 86 l28 has a internal reg.