PDA

View Full Version : Battery almost exploding.. 3.0 L ZD30DDTi Diesel

wiseacts
21st November 2011, 11:38 PM
Hello Everybody,

2005 GU fitted with 3.0 L ZD30DDTi Diesel engine. i just came back from a field trip where i had this problem one of the alternator cables where broken. After fixing my 2 years old dry battery started to misbehave. a couple of days ago i found it almost wanted to explode. so i just removed it and disposed it.
What i am asking is, what is the nominal output DC voltage for this engine that charges the battery, so i can measure and see if the battery is getting a higher voltage while charging or how do i know if it is overcharged.
The other thing i am looking into buying a new battery, so what is the battery size and specs that comes with the car factory fitted and what are your recommendations.

Thanks,

the ferret
22nd November 2011, 12:24 AM
I would seriously have the charging system checked for sure mate.
Whatever is the biggest battery would be the go, as long as it fit's the cradle, more likely an N70Z.
Cheers, the ferret.

the evil twin
22nd November 2011, 12:35 AM
Alternator output should be 13.8 to 14.4 Volts into a good battery. Usually 13.9 to 14.1

Anything over 14.4 into a Lead Acid SLI battery is a worry

robbo0001
22nd November 2011, 06:32 AM
The regulator on the alternator should inhibit any "over charging" issues, so it may be shorted. The wires that was damaged was possibly the battery sense wire, causing periods of overcharging to occur.
As stated above, regulated battey voltages are generally between 13-14 volts, depending on the state of the battery. I would install a new battery, then check the state of the alternator.

Unsure about your location, but testing machines are used quite widely by auto electricians and breakdown service companies, that can also check the internal diodes to see if they are shorted. This will ensure no AC power is being output.

AC in a DC system will also kill battteries and other components.
Cheers

Yendor
22nd November 2011, 01:37 PM
With a fully charged battery and a fast idle you should only see a maximum of 14.4 volt across the battery.

You will need to check the battery sense wire to the alternator, it is the yellow with a red trace wire and should have battery voltage at all times.

If this yellow with a red trace wire does not have power in it, (check the fuse in the fusebox under the bonnet) this can cause the alternator to over charge.

wiseacts
22nd November 2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks Gentlemen, i will probably do this inspection this weekend. I will let you know what i found. Cheers.

Finly Owner
23rd November 2011, 12:13 AM
Also check that iniator wire is firmly connected to the alternator

Tim

wiseacts
23rd November 2011, 02:02 AM
Sorry Finly... what is this iniator wire? and what color is it normally/ located?

Finly Owner
23rd November 2011, 11:33 PM
On mine ( I think all patrols) I have a "pin" at the back of the alternator, that has a ring terminal on a wire, held by two 10mm nuts. Make sure that wire is there and firm. I can't tell you colour off top of head.

Tim