PDA

View Full Version : about to grease my nipples, what grease?

bobbrumby
21st November 2011, 09:04 PM
So what can i say but im about to grease my nipples what grease do i need, lithiumv multi? oh i am talking about the ones under my troll not my... get your minds out of the gutter. I did a quick search but did not turn up anything.

growler2058
21st November 2011, 10:46 PM
I was gunna say chocolate flavour then i read the end of your post hahahahahhahahaha sorry. i used a mine grade cant remember at the moment at work but was a mobil brand

AdrianY60
23rd November 2011, 08:24 PM
I don't think the type of grease is so important, it's more important to do this often, at least once a year! :D

Finly Owner
23rd November 2011, 10:59 PM
A good multi purpose grease is fine for suspension, but EPL2 is a better choice, as you can get it to push through a tight joint with a good grease gun. Multi purpose doesn't handle to Extreme Pressure sometimes requied.

Remember to only Use HTB (High Temperature Bearing) grease for all bearings in wheels and swivel hubs.

Or the new LMX is a good High temp bearing grease and moderate pressure grease all in one. It is the perfect Automotive grease to have in your shed.

Tim

AdrianY60
23rd November 2011, 11:11 PM
Seems like someone knows a bit more than me on htis topic... :D But its still important to do this often :D

Finly Owner
23rd November 2011, 11:42 PM
And if doing suspension bushes, use rubber grease on them to help them slip in place.

Tim

Dw86
5th December 2011, 12:34 AM
Thanks guys. How many nipples are there on the swb gq's?

bobbrumby
5th December 2011, 09:17 AM
7 on the prop shafts, and about 7 on the steering. remember to wipe the dirt off the nipples before you pump the grease in as you dont wont this grit going through the joint

Dw86
5th December 2011, 11:11 AM
7 on the prop shafts, and about 7 on the steering. remember to wipe the dirt off the nipples before you pump the grease in as you dont wont this grit going through the joint

Cheers mate. Looks like I missed a couple.

bobbrumby
5th December 2011, 04:45 PM
i am pretty sure the swb would have the same double cardinal joint for the front prop that has 3 u joints in close proximaty

lil man
8th January 2012, 06:30 PM
How much grease is enough before you stop pumping grease into the nipple? Like the uni nipples and steering knuckles etc. Ta (:

bobbrumby
8th January 2012, 06:42 PM
till it starts to squeese out both the ends on the uni and with the steering ones you goto be carefull not to burst the boot so one maybe two keep an eye on the boot you will see it expand when there is enough and a couple of pumps into the drive shaft slides

lil man
8th January 2012, 06:52 PM
Cheers bobbrumby, now its just a matter of getting down and dirty ay...and not break anything

mikewrigley
16th January 2012, 07:25 PM
Great advice. Cheers for that Adrian/Tim. Just bought myself a 1997 GQ and it needs some TLC which definetely includes greasing 'er up. Now need to get myself a decent grease gun as mine's been useless!

Mike

black-mav
1st February 2012, 09:12 PM
i bought a great grease the other day made by chemtech truck n farm http://www.chemtech.net.au/cr_op_trucknfarm.html
check it out

Dirtydog16
18th February 2012, 01:29 PM
SOmething that may be helpful to keep in mind is if you can get a pistol grip type either manual or air operated as it will be easy to pump the grease above your head underneath the car.

My GQ wagon is raised in suspension with 33s and I have a normal style grease gun with the handle running down the full length of the grease gun so you need both hands to, hold the grease gun and then pull the handle open and then push it closed again.

My nozzle always seems to pop off when I am trying to pump the grease in. I thought it was supposed to lock onto the nipple and I know you can get nozzles to do that but mine seems to be ok sometimes and then other times while I try and position the grease gun in a comfortable position the nozzle pops off and I need to start again.

I figure the pistol grip is one handed operation with your freee hand holding pressure onto the nozzle if necessary.

Cheers