PDA

View Full Version : DIY water tank

Leighw85
20th November 2011, 05:14 PM
Hey all.
Was having a read through alot of my 4wd Action mags and found a pretty sweet article on a DIY water tank. It mounted under the car, and looks quite easy to do.
For anyone interested its in mag no: 159

I think im going to give it a go, but with diesel gas tank aswell im not sure if i will have the room.

MudRunnerTD
20th November 2011, 07:38 PM
have you got a pic Leigh? I dont subscribe mate and i'd be interested in seeing what they did??

See if you can find a pic on the net and post it up mate.

Cheers MR

Clunk
20th November 2011, 07:42 PM
aye me too, I wouldn't mind having a butchers at a it

Leighw85
20th November 2011, 11:18 PM
Hey lads.
cant fin any links on the net at all.
But in short its a PVC pipe. Like the ones tradies use to store pipe and long lengths of steel and things.
Its cut to length to what you need. Siliconed 2 ends to it, and from there is a few retic and tap fittings with a bit of hose. whatever you want really.
Then a sheet metal protection made to fit over it.

i took a couple of photos of the bigger pictures in the mag so you can get a rough idea.
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6536/imageblt.jpg
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/4687/imageuua.jpg

Clunk
20th November 2011, 11:34 PM
cheers mate, looks like an interesting idea considering how much water tanks actually cost

canuck
21st November 2011, 12:29 PM
Very good idea. Thanks for posting. Can you tell us what is holding it in place: steel strapping, aluminum strap, or steel cradle, etc?

Leighw85
21st November 2011, 01:57 PM
With that PVC tubing mate you can get steel bracing to suit all the different sizes of pipe

Skull
21st November 2011, 11:41 PM
Nice DIY post bud.

jazza_v
30th December 2011, 05:13 PM
awesome idea would never have thought of that, i might use that

Lahej_sas
18th February 2012, 07:18 AM
nice idea thanx,, could u post pictures if u have finished the tank

nullack
18th February 2012, 02:41 PM
I dunno, in my experience having water tanks outside the cabin means the water gets way too hot. Im buying the offroad systems water tank that goes in between the rear seats and the half height cargo barrier. I'd think folding up a similar design from stainless sheet for those handy in that stuff would be better imho.

Dapple
19th February 2012, 08:35 AM
I like the idea of a tank between the rear seet also. I was thinking of the PVC pipe in a stack.

Rip'n'Shred
19th February 2012, 01:00 PM
Im buying the offroad systems water tank that goes in between the rear seats and the half height cargo barrier.

Very nice, I like it, put out on my wish list

thebeatjackson
19th February 2012, 11:38 PM
The bloke I bought my GQ off dodgied up a pvc pipe like that to fin in the roof basket, looks pretty agricultural but does the trick, good for a warm shower at least!

Robo
3rd March 2012, 01:16 PM
Remember only food grade storage container for drinking water.
that includes the hoses and fittings.
don't make your self sick.
cheers

Fity
4th March 2012, 10:44 AM
Great idea on the cheap and use of wasted space. Like Robo said take care of the materials used, silicon is probably not the best choice to seal the pvc. There are food grade pvc sealents available.

msw21
3rd April 2012, 07:09 PM
good idea thanks mate

footsinperth
4th April 2012, 02:04 AM
Careful with PVC been told its not food grade and nasties can leach into the water. Ok for cleaning and such but possibly not best for consumption.

I'll follow a wise old mans take of this water business. "why bring water when beer will do"

Richo460
6th April 2012, 06:19 AM
Got me thinking about a HDPE (poly) pipe run around the inside of a roof rack with a tap on one end might make a good solar shower system, Poly is cheap and you can get all the compression fittings from hardware or agricultural places, being black pipe it will soak up the heat from the sun yet its very durable and won't perish in the sun. It will put up with alot of abuse, we run 100psi air through it at work no problems and thats with normal compression (plasson) fittings.

sooty_10
10th May 2012, 05:41 PM
Not a bad use of otherwise useless space, I had a couple of lengths like that under the tray of my old ute, but used them more for storage than water. Up north I've seen quite a few systems similar, if its on a ute, Ive seen the PVC pipes following the contours of the tray headboard used as water tanks.