PDA

View Full Version : evilhighway's GQ daily stocko bus (heart surgery in progress)

evilhighway
20th November 2011, 03:27 PM
Hi all,
About 6 weeks ago I became a proud owner of a Gq Patrol. Picked it up for $3900 and have been happy driving such a big vehicle considering I have gone to a Patrol from a 3cyl daihatsu mira. Its on gas and petrol and is powered by the tb42.
A few years ago I had a diesel td27 terrano and was really put off by diesel engines. So I made sure I got petrol. Not trying to stir up the diesel guys but I know petrol engines and not diesel. Just personal choice.
That being said on Thursday the patrol broke down and after putting new points in I soon realised it wouldnt idle and well there goes the head!
I took the head off yesterday and the block seems good the pistons and cylinders also look good with nothing major. The head gasket had deteriorated and looks like it may be its original headgasket. I thought for a moment that I maybe able to just get another head gasket until I properly inspected the head.
It has cracks between the valves in 1, 2, 5, 6 and another one also 2 exhaust valves are cracked.
Heres a couple of pics of the car. Its pretty straight except for the ding in the passenger rear 1/4 as you will see.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/my%20patrol/PB200211.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/my%20patrol/PB200212.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/my%20patrol/PB200213.jpg

Here is some pics of the engine bay with the head off and also some pics of the head and some of the damage!
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/my%20patrol/PB200214.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/my%20patrol/PB200215.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/my%20patrol/PB200216.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/my%20patrol/PB200217.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/my%20patrol/PB200218.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/my%20patrol/PB200219.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/my%20patrol/PB200220.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/my%20patrol/PB200222.jpg

Sorry the pics are a bit blury.

I have found a place in qld that do a head exchange service for $1085, a repaired head with valves bolts etc etc for my old ones. I also found a secondhand tb42 thats done around 200 thou for $550 but I think Im more leaning to getting the new head. even though it twice the price I atleast know its not on its way out and should last longer than second hand engine!
Knowing my luck I would get the second hand one and in a few weeks I have the same problem!

Does anyone know of other places I could try for exchange service etc?

Oh here is a pic to show you the difference in car size from one extreme to another!

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/PA1001291.jpg

gec
20th November 2011, 03:40 PM
Have you priced a new head from Nissan?

Silver
20th November 2011, 06:17 PM
good idea to get new head bolts, as you have done.

BigMav
20th November 2011, 08:05 PM
hmmm, unlucky mate, I dunno if I would be so quick to dissmiss another second hand engine but I see your reasoning behind it. There is many many TB42's getting around with high k's with no problem though.

Bigrig
20th November 2011, 08:09 PM
Sorry to hear it mate - as said, plenty of TB42 spares floating about and fully understood on sticking to petrol as it's 'what you know' - I'm the same!!

Good luck with replacing it. That said, if you're going a full replacement engine, I have one that just came out if mine (put another TB42 in with a turbo as a package deal) - for the right price, I'd probably be willing to part with it (I'll let others decide the value as I wouldn't have the first clue what they're worth!! lol).

evilhighway
21st November 2011, 06:51 AM
Havent priced a new head from nissan as yet and never actually thought of that either. I did have a look on ebay and there was one that went for $695 delivered was the cheapest i could find on there. Then there is the valve issue and if im gonna get exhaust ones i might as well get all new ones. So theres an extra cost there then the new head bolts = more $$$ and finally the vrs set. After all that I would need to get the new valves seated properly. (i havent done that one b4) Then I can reasemble the head and install.
so in summary
head = $695
vrs = $200 ish
then head bolts and valves + labour
or an already repaired head with bolts valves already done and the rest of the vrs set for $1085
the choice going this way is much easier and efficient.
I totally undertsand getting a second full engine but its still that chance im taking. If it was one of my daihatsu's then i would jump at it as I just got a spare engine and gearbox for that for $50 and am able to get most daihatsu bits i need fairly cheap, but I dont have the luxury atm of stuffing around and taking the chance on wasting $500 or so with the possibility of coming back to the samme prob.
If i do it right then i can atleast have piece of mind its all good.
I do really love the input though!

evilhighway
28th November 2011, 03:18 PM
Ok so I got the new head reco head all looks good and i got a cash price discount but still able to keep the 6 month / 10,000kms warranty with the cash price. All looks good apart from one valve thats a litttle pitted in the middle but shouldn't be any problems with it. Its just a little ugly.
I just got all the manifold's back on and I'm sure the intake manifold was welded and then covered in cement when it was put on, as it was the worst gasket I've ever had to removed. I've cleaned copper head gasket's on an alcohol fueled 501 chev that were easier than this thing. Pic of the head with manifold's.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/my%20patrol/PB2800011.jpg

Now I thought I would play it smart and put some extra marks as reference to do the tappits on the harmonic balancer where the timing marks are because according to the manual when No 1 piston is at TDC you adjust valves 1,2,3,6,7,10.
When piston 6 is at tdc you adjust valves 4,5,8,9,11,12.

The problem I have is when piston is at tdc on timing mark nunber 6 piston also seems to be at tdc?
Or is it actually psat tdc and my eye cant spot the difference?
Please any advice on this would be greatly appreciated! I presume someone would have done this before.
Heres is a couple of pics o no1 at tdc !
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/my%20patrol/PB2800021.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/evilhighway/my%20patrol/PB2800031.jpg

evilhighway
28th November 2011, 05:15 PM
Ok found my answer so I will post back with a good status hopefully!
Hmm Ive been that used to adjusting on a 3cyl I had forgotten eveything I learnt!

evilhighway
2nd December 2011, 06:14 PM
Ok so I finished putting the head back on today! Well I finished the other day but I put everything else back on today. I have to take it slow as I have a bad back injury and being only 160cm tall I have to monkey climb around it and I can only do a little bit before I have to stop anyway! Finally I got everything back in. Added oil and water (didint have coolant and was going to change it after 1000k's anyway).
switch to petrol and few pumps and away it started. YEEESSSS it was purring like a kitten.
I was very pleased. Well for the next 10 mins anyway.

After about ten mins I gradually increased rpm to around 2k then slowly let my foot off to come back to idle! well it missed a little and then died!
It seems as soon as it got warm id wont idle! wont start on gas and only got it to run on gas once when I changed over while keeping it at about 1k.
Its doing what it first was when the head went.
The following are the things I have tried with it to rectify the problem so far as I know it cant be the head now and suspect that its something else.

Ok I tried:
*adjusting the idle
*adjusting the air mixture screw
*replaced the fuel filter (even though it wont run on gas)
*replaced the coil
* I took the thermostat out to see if that made any difference but no and well my water pump is working good!
I havent touched the timing as it was the same when it broke down and should be the same. Oh it has new spark plugs also and I should close the gap a touch to help the gas but want it to run on petrol first.
Im thinking that the TPS has shit itself and wont allow it to idle, but I really dont know.
It is an auto so could it be the kick back sensor on the accelerator pedal?

Any Ideas Guys Im really stumped and those next 2 are my next best guesses.
Oh does anyone if an efi pintara TPS will work with these? I havent looked at them yet but thought I would ask!

evilhighway
5th December 2011, 08:28 PM
ok Im going to re adjust the tappits and give them plenty of movement just to check that they arnt closing due to them warming up and blocking fuel flow! I wii go from there. if it does keep running i will just have to trial and error the right gap.

patch697
5th December 2011, 10:44 PM
ok Im going to re adjust the tappits and give them plenty of movement just to check that they arnt closing due to them warming up and blocking fuel flow! I wii go from there. if it does keep running i will just have to trial and error the right gap.

OK for starters readjusting the tappets is not a bad idea: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?603-TB42-Tappet-Adjustment

Secondly.... For all money I would be searching High & low for a vacuum leak first up as the symptoms your describing sound very reminiscent of its effects, especially given the reactions to the 2x fuels.

If you've already checked for this then check again & be doubly sure before moving on to the next step.

evilhighway
6th December 2011, 02:52 PM
ok I didnt do the tappits as planned! I bypassed the balace resister as it was an easier thing to try first. well that made no difference. However i did get it running and managed to keep it running long enough to discover what seems to be the cause of my issues.

evilhighway
6th December 2011, 02:57 PM
THE CARBY HAS FLOODED EVERYWHERE!

While following some vac lines and getting the car to idle very roughly i noticed that the carby was slowly spewing fuel everywhere all down the sides of the carb and onto the manifold.
So it looks like a rebuild kit and new float is in order!

Silver
6th December 2011, 05:06 PM
might just be some crud between the needle and seat that moved around while the head etc were off? Maybe just check that first?

Sir Roofy
6th December 2011, 05:09 PM
the carby has flooded everywhere!

While following some vac lines and getting the car to idle very roughly i noticed that the carby was slowly spewing fuel everywhere all down the sides of the carb and onto the manifold.

gaskets might have dried out how long was it off

evilhighway
6th December 2011, 09:41 PM
thanks guys but think it is fugeed as this is what happened when it died on me too I think i jumped to the conclusion that i was the head, but lucky i did do that too cause it was also fugeed. The head was off for about a week and a half. Looks like i will have some time to play around with it a bit as I asked the guy on ebay that has the rebuild kits about floats and he has nil stock on them for about 3 months but will look elsewhere too.

patch697
6th December 2011, 09:48 PM
THE CARBY HAS FLOODED EVERYWHERE!

PM sent mate.

evilhighway
7th December 2011, 07:03 AM
Thanks mate will be in contact!

evilhighway
15th December 2011, 03:32 PM
hey patch did try to give you a call.
I discovered that my gas converter was buggered and putting the coolant straight into the carby. I just recieved a secondhand one that I tought I would take the chance with. I wasn't sure what model mine was and got this other one anyway and they are both ipmco L model's woohoo! Also ordered a float and a rebuild kit for the carby to redo that one too. Just waiting for the actual kit now everything else is here.
Hope santa will be good and i will have this running b4 christmas!

evilhighway
18th December 2011, 02:08 PM
Well changed the Gas converter today and I Know have a running patrol on gas! Its been dead for so long now that its a pity Ive got to take the carby off to rebuild it. HMMMMM OH we ll spose it has to be done!

Silver
18th December 2011, 02:41 PM
great news, half way there!!

evilhighway
18th December 2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks man Im stoked believe me I think if i had of done that to begin with instead of the head etc... think i would of got out of it alot cheaper, That being said Im glad i have re-done the head and rebuiling the carb cause atleast that way I know its all good and have a good rig!
However I have found 2 small rust patches that will need attention! There in a hard to get to place, sort of near the bonnet hinges but sort of under the flat curved plate if that makes sense. I think I will have to take the front Guards off to get to them.
But first carby out tommorow as Im much to sore to continue today!

AB
18th December 2011, 06:32 PM
Good stuff mate, well done!

Keep us informed of how you go!

evilhighway
18th December 2011, 10:20 PM
yeh will do I was thinking of doing a step by step with pics of my carby rebuild since I havent pulled a carby apart in years and thought it could help some others in the future!

evilhighway
6th January 2012, 03:39 PM
Ive been leaving the carby thing alone for a while as I cant be stuffed playing around with it and am just hoping to find a secondhand one that wont kill my wallet. The car will run on petrol on the highway ofcoarse cause the revs are being kept up, so i still give it a blast on fuel about once a week or when I get to highway drive.

Ive been doing little bits and pieces just to fix up the old bus a bit more and make it look a little better too.
I pushed out most of a ding that was in the rear quarter just behind the tail light. looks a little better but need to get the bog to it to finish it. Been painting the faded bits black again and the nissan badge at the front is now red along with the top of the front grill for something different.
I have always had a paranoia with most cars I own of them over heating and the patrol is no exception. The temp has been good except it seems to run at around 2/3 since I bought the wrong plugs for it and not the colder gas ones. So I have done what I did to my little Daihatsu Mira.
I put a 10inch thermo fan on the front of the aircon radiator and because the aircon belt isnt there I also hooked up the 8 inch one so now when the car is turned to on I have my thermo fans start up.
My Paranoia of over heating cars come from my first ever car which was a TX gemini auto coupe. It always sat just under hot and I could only go about 50km distance on the highway before I had to pull over and stop for it to cool down. I did have much cash at all in those days and it stayed like it for about a year before I could afford to buy another radiator.
Oh well atleast with the patrol I didnt go to the extreme I have with the Mira. On the Mira I have the thermo fan hooked up the same way but also to a turbo timer so it keeps cooling for up to 5 mins after its turned off.

Oh I also did get rid of the stupid air horns that made a really Gay noise before they stopped working and put the one in from my Pintara wreck and it works a treat.
Ive also taken out the winscreen washer bottle cause it was leaking and replaced it with a tiny one from a Daihatsu Mira and will be replacing the crappy home made radiator overflow bottle with one from a KE ford laser (another car I have here).
I will be taking the front guards off on the weekend as I found some rust in the engine bay that needs attention and i need to get to the back of it to see how bad it is.
Im now just trying to get it back to something better than what it is and more user friendly.
Im also going to see if the Pintara seats are an easy fit because they are more comfy than the current ones and sameish colour.

Also a questian for anyone in the know I was wondering what it is when the power light blink code goes for 16 blinks? It seems to run fine and doesnt pose a problem but would love to know!

NissanGQ4.2
6th January 2012, 03:51 PM
I think there is a thread on here somewhere telling you what error codes are, Will have a look a bit later when I get a chance

Cheers

Todd

evilhighway
6th January 2012, 03:52 PM
ok thanks I had a look in the manuals and nothing really described it.

gq4200
10th January 2012, 08:28 PM
does it flash the code when you ign on... mine did that when the tps voltage was reading too high at closed throttle.... but still worked fine.

evilhighway
10th January 2012, 08:29 PM
yep thats the one

evilhighway
7th March 2012, 08:46 PM
ok got some updates
I got another carby and took a chance on a second hand one from a maverick for $100 and it payed off. Its not tuned perfectly but it runs on petrol and gas no worries. So Im stoked with that bit.
A short time later I started getting the bad shacking/death wobbles and the following is the details of what I have done so far.
Well I thought i better give an update on how mine is going with this problem! I got a set of heavier duty shocks for a steal off ebay. They had done 27,000kms for all four and they are almost like brand new for under $50 to my door. I then tried the steering damper which I got a new was a grabiel brand and also a Heavy Duty compared to stock! That was $50 for that to the door. All of this still made no difference so I ordered radius arm bushes which i bought the rear ones by mistakes but I tried them anyway. They cost $41 to the door 5 mins later I found the same only $10 cheaper DOH! I have now just got the 4 front radius arm bushes. I got them for $69 to the door. I will be taking the radius arms out again tomorrow and taking them to a shop to get them pressed in. When I have finished doing this I will post my results here so others can see what I have done and when things have got better. I did right at the star get the wheels balanced and it made no difference.
So far the shocks feel much better and stiffer as well with the damper but the actual sterring wobble/ shacking has become worse and I think it is due to everything being stiffer and the radius arm buses being RS it is causing a sharper/harder thud than when all the old gear was softened.
All the parts I for this I have sourced from ebay so I hope it helps to give people some ideas on pricing too.

I cant actually do too much at the moment as I have some injuries and 1 day doing a bit ends with agony for the next 3 days so i try to take it slow but still do everything myself and im also collecting parts for my project car (the little red mira) when I can.

butters
7th March 2012, 11:34 PM
Have you done the panhard rods?

I just had my drag link replace with an Extreme. Real heavy duty, old one was fudged. My wobble was nuts, once it started it wouldn't go away until I was down to ~30km/h. If it comes back i'll be doing the panhards..

evilhighway
8th March 2012, 06:47 AM
not yet mate what I have done is the order I have started in. I have asking and posting in another thread about it and the first thing someone said to me was the radius arm bushes. When I got under i saw how loose my shocks were and that I could wobble them side to side. That looked like a no braina. Well it wasnt. Im just trying to go through things bit by bit and preferably cheapest to dearest and also easiest to replace to hardest also. I will post up how I go with the radius arm bushes if it makes no difference then i will go the drag link i suppose. Did that get rid of yours completely? mine is getting to that stage also were it wont stop till around 50 k's. Although I'm not driving it until its fixed, im still wobblin an hour later if i drive it lol!

butters
8th March 2012, 09:22 AM
Haha yeah fair enough that sounds like a sensible way of going about it. Mainly because mine was about to snap....otherwise I woulda done the panhards first. Unfortunately they're both around the $350 mark..

evilhighway
8th March 2012, 11:32 AM
yeh im sick of this rig atm im gonna sell it off soon once i get it running back properley again. I just have this bad luck when it comes to nissan 4wd's. I love them but i just seem to get the ass end of the stick with them. No offence to the brand or model its just my damn luck!

evilhighway
11th April 2012, 09:36 PM
Hey guys this has been sold so if you want to delete the thread i don mind or you can leave it up. Im not fussed either way but the one thing i will say is I dont know how all you guys put up with these Trucks I certainly cannot any longer. Hence the reason I sold this and cut my losses. I spose th good that came out of it is that I learnt alot about them and found they aren't for me. Cheers for having theses forums for everyone they are damn good so two thumbs up for a job well done.
have fun all!
Cheers
Jimmy

rusty_nail
11th April 2012, 09:44 PM
so what are you driving now jimmy? a barina? lol. sorry to hear you had it with your truck, hopefully you have better luck in the future!

evilhighway
11th April 2012, 09:54 PM
LOL nah man I would never own a barina that makes me shudder to think that. I still love jap cars, Daihatsu is my prefered brand event though they have no future, but Im actually driving a toyota. I would still drive a patrol over barina any day of the week hahah! Gotta give the patrol one thing when it was running good it I loved it just my wallet was arguing with me too much! haha cheers mate!

rusty_nail
11th April 2012, 09:58 PM
if you love daihatsu then get a charade lol they are fully sick arent they?

evilhighway
11th April 2012, 11:12 PM
haha ive got a charade and a mira already and the mira will be better than the charade by the time its finished. Im a mod on diaforum lol

rusty_nail
11th April 2012, 11:17 PM
haha good on ya mate! if you want a dihatsu and still a 4x4 that is cheap why not a rocky? they are pretty robust arent they? no where near the patrols power but no where near as thirsty also. i must admit if my heart were in it for a small 4x4 the sierras are way too cool hey.

btw sorry to hijack your thread

evilhighway
11th April 2012, 11:32 PM
Nah it all good man Hijack away. the rockys are good but starting to get a bit harder to get now. The feroza's are the go cause you can drop the hc/hd series from charades and them if they stuff up which makes it handy and they go pretty hard.