PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Trip - Is this Route ok?

MickyD
4th June 2010, 02:44 PM
******UPDATE: SORRY GUYS NEXT EASTER TRIP NOT CHRISTMAS*******

Hi WA,

I noticed theres a few Western Aussies around and was wondering if any of you guys could help me out.

I'm from Bairnsdale in VIC and over next Easter I'm doing a big trip with the family.

My route is as follows.

Home - Renmark - Port Augusta - Cooper Pedy - Alice Springs - Darwin - down to Broome to Exmouth area and down the coast to Perth.

I've done the east coast to death and its time for something different.

I've never been inland much in WA and was wondering if i should take any detours when coming down the coast.

We don't mind ruffing it up a bit but the tracks would need to be easy to moderate.

I don't really want to take the family to near on death tracks but if theres any good spots you guys know of I would really appreciate your help!

Also if anyone else can offer a different route, etc I'd love to hear from ya's

Thanks in advance!

DX grunt
5th June 2010, 07:08 AM
G'day MickyD

If you Google the following, it'll give you somewhere to start.

Kimberley Region of WA, East Kimberley Region of WA, Pilbara Region of WA, Murchison Region of WA, Gascoyne Region of WA, Mid West Region of WA, Midlands Region of WA. That should just about get you to Perth.

We also have the Goldfields-Esperance Region of WA, Central Wheatbelt Region of WA, South West Region of WA and Great Southern Region of WA, too.

Most Local Government Authorities go by their town's name, but in Karratha, it's not the Shire of Karratha, it's the Shire of Roebourne. In Geraldton, its the City of Geraldton-Greenough, City of Bunbury and City of Albany.

Other good websites are: RACWA, Main Roads WA.

There's a few 4wd clubs along the way too. The Club I belong to in WA is the Western Patrol Club Inc. It is based in Perth, but I'm one of their many country members scattered throughout the state.

Welcome to WA - in advance.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

the evil twin
7th June 2010, 03:46 PM
Lived in Darwin for 13 years, went back home to Sydney for 4 more and now been in WA for the last 6... feet are getting itchy again too.

That is one cracker trip you have planned but it is approx 8,000 kilometres or more and you don't mention the time frame you have allocated. That will make a huge difference to what you will be able to see and do.

Pop up your rough itinerary IE when you plan to leave and when you need to be in Perth and we should be able to give you a heap of advice...

MickyD
7th June 2010, 04:09 PM
Cheers again ET and Ross!

ET - It's a huge trip, I'm still in the planning stage and havent got time allocated yet. I havent taken holidays in years (and prob won't be taken any for a while after this) so I'm happy to take atleast 6 weeks off....Atleast!

Let me do a mock up plan and ill have a good think about timelines and let you all know.

Thanks again for your help!

Appreciate it!

the evil twin
8th June 2010, 11:41 PM
Cheers again ET and Ross!

ET - It's a huge trip, I'm still in the planning stage and havent got time allocated yet. I havent taken holidays in years (and prob won't be taken any for a while after this) so I'm happy to take atleast 6 weeks off....Atleast!

Let me do a mock up plan and ill have a good think about timelines and let you all know.

Thanks again for your help!

Appreciate it!

No worries... glad you have lots of time.

Easter will be at the end of the Wet in the far North so a fair bit will still be inaccessible BUT don't worry about that too much. There is enough to see on your trip to last 6 years.

Just to get you salivating a few spots I would factor in as definites if you haven't seen them already would be...
Coober Pedy (you already have on the list)
Ayers Rock and the Olgas
Mataranka
Kakadu via the loop road off the Stuart Hwy (just to tick the box) there are heaps better spots but you have to be able to say "Yes. I went to Kakadu"
Litchfield Park (just out of Darwin) where the Locals tell you not to go 'cause they want it kept a secret

...more to follow

Mark
9th June 2010, 01:47 PM
Litchfield Park looks like a magical place.

I just googled the images if anyones interested....

http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=litchfield+national+park&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=ngcPTPveGpSXkQWfjdCUDA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CEgQsAQwBQ

Long URL but some great shots.

Thanks for the tip ET!

MickyD
19th June 2010, 08:34 PM
Sorry for the late reply with my itinerary Ross and ET, but I just had some life changing news the other week...

It's good news but also bad news. :( :)

We just found out that we are having another child, it was actually a suprise to us both and I'm really not sure we were ready for that news but we are going ahead with it...That's 3 kids now so this is going to make life interesting..haha

Bad News!!!

We stopped planning the trip next Easter...

Sorry for the stuff around guys, really appreciate your advice. Once the baby is grown up a bit ill be back up there...

Anyways, back to work to feed this gigantic growing family...lol

Thanks again.

DX grunt
21st June 2010, 10:06 AM
Congratulations to you and your family. Family comes first. I've got 4 boys - 23, 21, 16 & 15. Put your plans in a safe place and keep dreaming your dream - you'll be back.

Take care and enjoy.

Ross

nowoolies
3rd February 2011, 11:10 AM
g`day mickyd
you aint wanna go home no more once you been here

my third 256
5th February 2011, 11:33 AM
congrats there goes the luggage compartment /fridge space for the rear seat
happened to a mate of mine had just baught a new ingle cant use it with all the tribe onboard

Clunk
6th June 2014, 12:34 AM
Congratulations to you and your family. Family comes first. I've got 4 boys - 23, 21, 16 & 15. Put your plans in a safe place and keep dreaming your dream - you'll be back.

Take care and enjoy.

Ross

Yeah I saw that ya buggah..... straight in there lol

Edit......... random MC quote fail

MudRunnerTD
6th June 2014, 12:40 AM
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

WTF Clunk!! You chasing a Manual mate?

TPC
6th June 2014, 12:42 AM
May as well make this the drunk thread tonight

Clunk
6th June 2014, 12:53 AM
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

WTF Clunk!! You chasing a Manual mate?

I was trying to find the thread where you order red back rooftop bags

BigRAWesty
6th June 2014, 06:10 AM
Simpson crossing threw the guts if your keen..
You'll be takingbthe harder track east to west do to the wind blowing the sand that way but still doable. You'd want to be self recoverable thou.

threedogs
6th June 2014, 07:56 AM
Sorry for the late reply with my itinerary Ross and ET, but I just had some life changing news the other week...

It's good news but also bad news. :( :)

We just found out that we are having another child, it was actually a suprise to us both and I'm really not sure we were ready for that news but we are going ahead with it...That's 3 kids now so this is going to make life interesting..haha

Bad News!!!

We stopped planning the trip next Easter...

Sorry for the stuff around guys, really appreciate your advice. Once the baby is grown up a bit ill be back up there...

Anyways, back to work to feed this gigantic growing family...lol

Thanks again.
Congrats but seriously put a bloody lock on the shower door eh lol
or you'll never get away you rooster you lol

TPC
6th June 2014, 07:57 AM
Simpson crossing threw the guts if your keen..
You'll be takingbthe harder track east to west do to the wind blowing the sand that way but still doable. You'd want to be self recoverable thou.
Did you see this is a 4 year old thread Kallen?
Clunk is just dragging up old threads to get his post count up.

BigRAWesty
6th June 2014, 08:47 AM
Did you see this is a 4 year old thread Kallen?
Clunk is just dragging up old threads to get his post count up.

Lol no I didn't.

BigRAWesty
6th June 2014, 08:49 AM
Bloody mc crappa..
Don't ya hate the random quotes..

TPC
6th June 2014, 08:59 AM
I think it makes things interesting. lol

BigRAWesty
6th June 2014, 09:42 AM
That's for sure.
Definitely a wtf moment when it happens but