PDA

View Full Version : Checking nissan diff lock and swaybar disconnect

growler2058
17th November 2011, 09:24 AM
Howdy all, im looking at a GQ, petrol4.2 with factory diff lock and swaybar disconnect for Glen (gec) lad.
Can i check the diff locks operation without jacking up, ie listen for a sound of it engaging. And i assume the disconnect will be fairly obvious to see if thats working, but any hints of things to loook for would be good, cheers

starck
17th November 2011, 10:17 AM
To inspect operation of diff-lock without lifting You car up - try like this: find Yourself a piece of clear asphalt road. Should be dry, in level and no dust-sand-rocks at all. Put some sand in front of right rear wheel, not much. Try to foresee the trace of this particular wheel while turning. Than start engine, let underpresure being pumped for 5-10 seconds and switch DIFF-LOCK on. Then turn Your vehicle left and slightly start going. First of all You should hear click-sound and indicator on Your desk. But more important is to observe this sand on the road after Your wheel rolles on it. If protector stamp-trace is visible all the way Your diff-lock is ill. If the trace is clear for 30-50cm and suddenly pulls the sand Your d-l operates correctly. Of course You may do the same with left rear wheel too but it does not matter - must be the same result in both directions.

gqdriver
1st February 2012, 09:18 PM
or just get a wheel off the ground and test it from there

patrol_maverick
7th February 2012, 06:22 PM
find Yourself a piece of clear asphalt road. Should be dry, in level and no dust-sand-rocks at all.
That's just asking for trouble. Best thing to do is try it on a dirt road. -Lock the diff, turn hard one way, drive forward and listen/ feel if a wheel is dragging in the dirt.

Polardropbear
11th February 2012, 09:31 PM
Suggest you check the operation of the vacuum tubes for leaks as it is a vacuum electric solenoid for the factory install (1993 EFI Ti model). If the tubes leak you could end up unable to disengage the difflock. Lucky I had RACV Total Care.