PDA

View Full Version : Bought a 1990 GQ 4.2 petrol ute with a crane cams hi6 and the tacho no workie

bobbrumby
16th November 2011, 08:14 PM
As the title sugests i bought a patrol and the po installed a hi6 unit to get rid of the points, only problem is tacho does not work anymore, i did some reseach and found that they make a tacho adapter but i need to know a few things.

Pulse sensing or current sensing tacho?
Pulse sensing tach: This type of tach has a wire that was originally connected to the COIL- terminal. Refer to Figure 1 to complete the installation for a pulse sensing tach.

Current sensing tach: This type of tach is connected between switched +12V from the ignition key and the wire that was originally connected to the COIL+ terminal.

And was the coil originally mounted on the inner guard behind the passenger headlight? And what colour is the tacho sensing wire that used to be connected to the coil?

Thanks guys

patch697
16th November 2011, 08:53 PM
Its a cheap as fix mate & you don't need any of that other stuff either.

I'll need to take some readings off my own to get the values right but you can sort it for around $1:00 Yep you read right a buck is all it'll take so stay tuned.

NissanGQ4.2
16th November 2011, 09:36 PM
Post up an intro when you get a chance, some members will not reply 2 a question without an intro posted.

Good luck with your hunt for answers

bobbrumby
17th November 2011, 09:35 AM
Its a cheap as fix mate & you don't need any of that other stuff either.

I'll need to take some readings off my own to get the values right but you can sort it for around $1:00 Yep you read right a buck is all it'll take so stay tuned.

sweet that would be great

bobbrumby
17th November 2011, 09:36 AM
Post up an intro when you get a chance, some members will not reply 2 a question without an intro posted.

Good luck with your hunt for answers

ok ill take some photos this arvo and post up an intro

-ET 4wd-
24th November 2011, 02:32 AM
wire to ya tach is a yellow/black wire, it should be with eth original blue coil/dizzy wires
At a guess i would say it is pulse as it goes from the coil straight to the tacho, but someone else may be able to iron that out for ya ;)

Have fun,

Steve.