PDA

View Full Version : 2000 GUII Boost Gauge Install

harls
27th August 2010, 11:03 PM
G'day All,
I think i posted this in the wrong area originally, my bad..
I just picked up a boost gauge this afternoon, and as I have never installed one. I was wondering if anyone was able to give me a few pointers on the install (basically what or where do i connect the hose into) I have done some research and there appears to be some conflicting information. some say to connect to the intercooler inlet, others the intercooler outlet and then finally the vacuum hose????? It is a speco meter boost gauge with no vacuum to be fitted to a 3ltr 2000 GUII patrol. As I have never fitted one and never had the privilege of playing around with a diesel before i was hoping that one of you could help me out save me wasting my time installing it all wrong,if you have any photos to show too that would be great.

Cheers
Harls

Bigl_40
14th September 2010, 03:36 PM
Harls,
I'm no expert but from my information fitting and placement of the boost gauge pick up.
i'd be putting it in the Intercooler tube before the intercooler.Welding the fitting into the pipe,also screw a bolt into the fitting as the welding can distort the fitting apparently.
It's easier to get at on this side.Look on the patrol4x4 forum under Chaz. He's seems to be on the money.
Cheers
Bigl_40

YNOT
14th September 2010, 07:16 PM
This shows where most people install their boost gauge fitting (where the brass T-piece is). The T-piece lets me run run the booost gauge off one side and the dawes valve off the other.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/P1010094Small.jpg

Tony

Bigl_40
15th September 2010, 12:20 PM
Tony, How have you plumbed the Dawes Valve and to what max PSI have you set it to.
Also does the cover fit on after you put the pick up for the boost gauge there.
Does it matter where you plumb youre boost pickup before or after the intercooler?( As you've gone after on you're picture. ( Is there a pressure drop before and after the intercooler)
Regards
Allan

YNOT
15th September 2010, 05:52 PM
I'll find a diagram that shows how to plumb in the dawes and needle valves. Maximum boost is 16-17 Psi, any higher and it will sense overboost and go into limp mode.
Engine cover fits back on as normal, although I fitted washers to space the cover up slightly off the intercooler to stop it rubbing.
There may be a slight drop in pressure across the intercooler, that's why I fitted the pick up post cooler, it shows you what boost the engine is getting.

Tony

Edit, found it!

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx224/tonyh01/Boost20Control.jpg