PDA

View Full Version : How to use a snatch strap for newbies!

Dozer
15th November 2011, 02:54 PM
Thought id post this vid up, its a vid of me and a mate doing a controlled recovery in a safe way.

Snatch is at about 2.08 in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n568RjSE4Zk

"WARNING" Please be advised that this clip contains language "NOT SUITABLE" for children. Viewing of this clip is to be done so with this knowledge.

Bob
15th November 2011, 03:11 PM
Thought id post this vid up, its a vid of me and a mate doing a controlled recovery in a safe way.

Snatch is at about 2.08 in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n568RjSE4Zk

A toyota pulling a NISSAN ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????
LMAO

MudRunnerTD
15th November 2011, 03:50 PM
And here i was thinking you had to give her the biggest tug ya could!!! ;)

That was exactly how it should have been done, only give the recovery the minimum of momentum to get the desired result. Start small and build up if necessary. That was nearly a tow rather than a snatch and that is all that was required.

Good result.

Dozer
15th November 2011, 06:34 PM
thats right ey Mudrunner, ive had a rear bumper bar ripped of a chassy pulling out a rig stuck in sand when i was just starting out many years ago, not nice lol.

Its ok Bob, im up on toyota recoveries hahaha.

Finly Owner
16th November 2011, 12:31 AM
What I LOVED was SAFETY first! By standers cleared out of harms way JUST IN CASE! Love that thought process, not sure about where your Mate used as a recovery point tho. I was happy to see all things were thought about and communicated to all concerned. Can I suggest you get your self either a hession potato bag or a recovery strap dampner blanket to place over the recovery snap, so if it does break, the dampner will slow it down quickly and help it fall to the ground before hiting anythingor one.

Tim

PS great Vid well done camera woman.

Dozer
18th November 2011, 11:36 PM
hahaha, cheers. Love the warning notice on the top. I get a bit excited while out bush and let the odd word slip so sorry if i offended anyone.

Safety first is the way to go, tip taken about the bag or winch weight. We normaly do use one but only when we need to give some major effort with a big lurch pull. We kinda knew this would only be a line pull. Allways a good idea though if youve got one.

patch697
19th November 2011, 01:31 AM
hahaha, cheers. Love the warning notice on the top. I get a bit excited while out bush and let the odd word slip so sorry if i offended anyone.

Safety first is the way to go, tip taken about the bag or winch weight. We normaly do use one but only when we need to give some major effort with a big lurch pull. We kinda knew this would only be a line pull. Allways a good idea though if youve got one.

As we all do mate, we just gotta be careful what we put on here is all.

Usually a warning something like I put in your first post is normally ok but if its sorta right on the line, send us a link via PM so we can check it out first & that way its all good from the start.

Dozer
20th November 2011, 07:32 PM
all good patch no problems, maybe ill just put music over the vids from now on hahaha.

taslucas
27th November 2011, 03:29 PM
A toyota pulling a NISSAN ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????
LMAO

THE HORROR OF IT ALL AHHHHHHH............ Showing good recovery is only just worth posting a vid of a stocko landcrab pulling a modified patrol. ONLY JUST!!!

2TROLLFAM
27th November 2011, 08:30 PM
As a newbie to 4x4 I cracked up but a Toyota pulling out a Nissan?? Hmm

DX grunt
27th November 2011, 08:32 PM
As a newbie to 4x4 I cracked up but a Toyota pulling out a Nissan?? Hmm

As an oldie, ya accept help from ANYONE! lol

If push comes to shove and it's getting dark or the tide's rising, I'll even consider half a carton! lol

Rossco

2TROLLFAM
28th November 2011, 08:32 AM
Is fresh fish instead a carton acceptable payment for random assistance??

growler2058
28th November 2011, 08:34 AM
Yep reckon I'd be happy with that :-)

DX grunt
28th November 2011, 08:42 AM
With my fishing record, I'd be very happy with fish if I ever had to recover a Tojo.

More importantly, I'd even accept a "Thank you"

2TROLLFAM
28th November 2011, 09:12 AM
Cool - we helped some guys out on the weekend and got a couple of yummy fish that they had just caught :)

2TROLLFAM
28th November 2011, 09:12 AM
But yeah !! The Thanks was enuff but they insisted ...

Silver
28th November 2011, 09:22 AM
G'day Amelia, I think thanks and rewards for recoveries is a personal thing.

But if you look on here there are a few instances where the person being recovered had no gear, the person doing the recovery had gear damaged in the course of that recovery, yet the person recovered drove off into the sunset without offer to make good the damage, a thanks, or even a backward glance.

You'll also see instances where several people have spent a lot of time and effort in recovering a stranger, and been quite happy with a sincere thank you - part of being in the 4 wd community I guess.

Especially in a mud recovery there is always gear to be cleaned and put away.

2TROLLFAM
28th November 2011, 09:26 AM
That's just RUDE!!! Only new to all this but my theory is a Thank You goes a mile & who knows, we will no doubt need help one day.

Sheez the first thing I went and bought before I took Frank out was a basic recovery kit - lucky for me I was with Brad and the patrol so he pulled me out when Frank buried his balls in sand (although it was Brads fault LOL he knew I'd get bogged but sent me up on the powdery sand anyways LOL .... )

BlackOIL
5th April 2012, 12:27 AM
seriously dozer... your a bloody legend mate... iv been seachin all day and everyone just looks at me all stupid, as if i should know this already... there is no excuse for me to get stuck now