PDA

View Full Version : Large tires on GQ/Y60

WaxFraq
15th November 2011, 06:11 AM
Hi!
Is anyone else running large tires on there GQ/Y60??
I have 38 inch MT on MT rims with -73 offset, and that fine and all..
But what kind of clutch do you use?

AB
15th November 2011, 06:41 AM
Although a lot of us would love to run tyre's like that you may a struggle to get a response for anyone here over 35" tyres unfortunately mate.

No idea on a clutch for a 38" but would say a Safari Tuff Clutch would be a good choice for starters.

MudRunnerTD
15th November 2011, 09:10 AM
Love the flares mate, cant get them in Australia either..... There'd be a market for them though...

WOW a Neg 73 is a massive offset too.

Nice car mate.

WaxFraq
15th November 2011, 10:01 PM
Although a lot of us would love to run tyre's like that you may a struggle to get a response for anyone here over 35" tyres unfortunately mate.
No idea on a clutch for a 38" but would say a Safari Tuff Clutch would be a good choice for starters.

Why is that AB? You have probably the best offroadtracks/wilderness in the world? Don't you need it?
The setup with tires, lifting, cutting and flalers is originally from Iceland. The tires come in handy when you let the air out in the deep snow..!

MudRunnerTD, you should import a set of molds and start making them.. =P (easier said than done..)
There's a bloke not far from where I live who bought some old molds from Iceland for the MK/MQ 160/260. Because you couldn't get them anymore...I think he made a few bucks thou..

Bigrig
15th November 2011, 10:04 PM
Why is that AB? You have probably the best offroadtracks/wilderness in the world? Don't you need it?
The setup with tires, lifting, cutting and flalers is originally from Iceland. The tires come in handy when you let the air out in the deep snow..!

MudRunnerTD, you should import a set of molds and start making them.. =P (easier said than done..)
There's a bloke not far from where I live who bought some old molds from Iceland for the MK/MQ 160/260. Because you couldn't get them anymore...I think he made a few bucks thou..

It's illegal for us mate ... even 35's are coming under fire now ...

WaxFraq
15th November 2011, 11:07 PM
Hehe..! I see! It's illegal too..but when they occasionally have their control posts set up, and you get caught, we only have to go up to the vehicle authorities and show the car with original tires...there's no fee or anything as I know of...you only have to pay for showing it...!

My car isn't allowed with anything but original tire size + 5% around. And that's like...ye I don't know...I don't care actually.. =P
But it's a bit sad..here you can't build cars. But we got to keep on anyways.. hehe...

growler2058
15th November 2011, 11:26 PM
Mate the first copper that drove past me if my troll looked like yours ( don't get me wrong I'd love to have mine wearing boots like yours) would have a bloody field day with his defect book Bummer Ay!!

Finly Owner
15th November 2011, 11:37 PM
Your rig looks UNREAL!!!!

Tim

WaxFraq
16th November 2011, 12:03 AM
hehe..! thanks guys!

Mrowka
17th November 2011, 05:03 AM
Hehe..! I see! It's illegal too..but when they occasionally have their control posts set up, and you get caught, we only have to go up to the vehicle authorities and show the car with original tires...there's no fee or anything as I know of...you only have to pay for showing it...!

My car isn't allowed with anything but original tire size + 5% around. And that's like...ye I don't know...I don't care actually.. =P
But it's a bit sad..here you can't build cars. But we got to keep on anyways.. hehe...

Move to Ukraine and you can build anything you want, no matter how dangerous to yourself and others, as long as you pay your bribes. (Actually, the same rule applies if you have a showroom new Mercedes straight off the dealer floor - want to register it, gotta pay your bribes....)

WaxFraq
17th November 2011, 07:05 AM
hahahaha!!! I don't really think that's an option..! =P

starck
17th November 2011, 10:28 AM
We use 37 inch here for forest competition but over 35 is quite uncomfortable for every-day driving so nobody uses bigger.

By the way - for winter conditions is surely useful - but ever else You also drive such a big wheel?

patch697
17th November 2011, 10:44 AM
Move to Ukraine and you can build anything you want, no matter how dangerous to yourself and others, as long as you pay your bribes. (Actually, the same rule applies if you have a showroom new Mercedes straight off the dealer floor - want to register it, gotta pay your bribes....)

Well I know my next country of residency...... Monster Patrol here I come.............hahahahahahahahahahaha

( a bribe in this country to pass boots that size would cost more then the build price of your whole Patrol & even then I reckon you'd still get pinched....lol)

WaxFraq
18th November 2011, 03:49 AM
yeah...I don't have any other tires except from the originals..this is just a fun car..but I don't think they're so bad either when you think of the size..! I wonder what the other's on the road is thinking when I pass along.. =P

canuck
18th November 2011, 05:42 AM
Here in BC you can go as big a tire as you can fit. After the suspension is altered more than 50cm (up or down) you need to have the vehicle inspected by a certified mechanical shop. You also need to comply with light and bumper regulations:

Lamp Minimum Height Maximum Height
Headlights 56 cm 1.37 m
Stop, Tail and Reflector 38 cm 1.83 m
Driving Lights 40 cm 1.06 m
Fog Lights 30 cm below headlamps Level with headlamps
Daytime Running Lights 30 cm 2.11 m

Bumpers
The centerline of the bumper must fall within 380 to 560 mm above ground for cars and the lowest part must be 750 mm high or less for trucks weighing 4500 kg or less. The width of the bumper must be at least equal to the track width of the vehicle, and the horizontal surface must be at least 100 mm in width.

All of this is very workable. Not sure how long it will be like this. Across the country there has been a task force of government, insurance and auto industry looking at changing the provincial regulations on lifted vehicles.

I am happy with 265s or 285s. Anything bigger and I would have the expense of re-gearing - not to mention what big tires cost and their impact on fuel economy. And eventually the ruts get so deep that even rigs with 40" tires are dragging their pumpkins.

starck
18th November 2011, 06:50 AM
yeah...I don't have any other tires except from the originals..this is just a fun car..but I don't think they're so bad either when you think of the size..! I wonder what the other's on the road is thinking when I pass along.. =P

How about torque? I guess You had to make quite a reduction to keep power in Your 2,8td.... Where have You done it? on transfer case?

WaxFraq
18th November 2011, 07:21 PM
@canuck : That sounds like a dream to me! Here in Norway they don't let us know what we're allowed to do..so it's a bit frustrating to rebuild a car as you may think...but yea, I see where you're heading..!! The only reason I have these tires on, is because I can...I have two other cars for "everyday use". You don't take this car if your having 800 km to go.. =P

@starck : This is the sad part. It isn't geard down. But it's on the "to-do list"... =P
In terms of torque, that's really not any problem. The RD28td(i) is a happy tuner, if you just do it the right way..! I'll be glad to post a video sometime during this winter, and you'll see...it got some grunt...

I've got a pretty strange setup in my enginebay...with Nissan Skyline turbo, Mercedez-Benz intercooler and a BMW converted top (as written earlier). The top has bigger valves, pushrods and camshafts from BMW. I'm not sure of what kind of BMW thouh..
I run with 1.0 bar of pressure...and this is more than enough for me. The only thing I'd like to do at the time, is reducing the gears. I'm not quite sure of where to do it, but either the transfer case or change the axels...any ideas?

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.. =D

bigfduck
18th November 2011, 09:00 PM
Where can i find those flares???

starck
19th November 2011, 09:49 AM
The only thing I'd like to do at the time, is reducing the gears. ...any ideas?

=D

The cheap solution that we do down here is connect TD42T engine/g-box with standard axles from RD28T. Those axles are slowest possible from Nissan- reduction allows to use 37 inch tires with original road speeds!!! Other solution is Mark's Portal axles 1,4:1 (Best in the world) or just transfer case 3.8 - also from Mark's AU.

VOLVO303 axles that you surely know:thumbup: makes sense only in racing and gives no goal on "black". I contacted PORTAL-TECH people from USA but they hardly know Patrol at all. Few fellows from Canada swap Y60 base with D20 axles from Portal-tech but I do not know certainly how this work.

One rare combination is to rebuild gear box - 1, 2, 3rd gear reducted and 4, 5 th overdriven but this is "scupture-in s...t" as we say around here.

canuck
19th November 2011, 04:25 PM
Few fellows from Canada swap Y60 base with D20 axles from Portal-tech but I do not know certainly how this work.

Is this just Portal Axles USA. Do you have a link? This sounds interesting.

starck
20th November 2011, 08:34 AM
Sure mate. Here You get contact to right person in Portal-tek

Scott Phillips - Sales Manager
Portal-Tek Axles
www.portal-tek.com
scott@portal-tek.com

I've noticed now new company's name is http://www.torqaxle.com/
So now sure the same person works there. Sorry

WaxFraq
21st November 2011, 06:17 AM
I'm haveing some issues right now with my local vehicle authorities. I have OME kit of course, and the lower spring clip(?) is raised with about 5 cm..and "my best mate in the world" from the vehicle authoritie almost starting to rip of his own hair because of it.. it's so sad...

cycd
18th December 2011, 10:27 AM
Im running 35 maxxis 770's..... the little bit of extra clearance is helping for sure, nice and quiet too.

gerard2
31st December 2011, 03:15 AM
i am running on 38x14.5 used gearbox is from td4.2 en the axle,s from 2.8 it works fine