PDA

View Full Version : Kimberley/ Gibb???

Skull
15th November 2011, 01:18 AM
Have just got a new job starting in Darwin in January. When I left Rockingham and WA I was always planning to do it via the Kimberly.. The Problem is it will be Dec/Jan and FAR KING wet... Anyone have any idea what it is like this time of year? Is it even passable? Can you get into the Gibb or is it all closed off or flooded? Never even been there to have a rough idea. Any help would be great. The other idea would be Great Central Road. Would prefer option one but me thinks it unlikely.

Silver
15th November 2011, 10:36 AM
a search on line on Gibb River Road Wet Season turned up a site dedicated to the road. According to that site, the WA gov closes it from a date in October to a date in the following April or May depending on conditions.

Found Great Central Road on the map. Crikey, having just been out near Innamincka and enjoying the heat there :-) you'd be keen to take that route in the peak of summer I reckon!

Skull
15th November 2011, 03:02 PM
Unfortunately for me that is the time and thats it. Heat will be there either way, am movin to darwin. Don't wanna do the nullabore again. Dull as

Silver
15th November 2011, 03:15 PM
Quite an interesting project this route of yours Skull. Hopefully someone who has done some of the alternatives at that time of year will join in soon :-)

I don't know how much is all weather, but there is blacktop between Broome - Fit2roy Crossing- Halls Creek - Kununurra - Katherine - Darwin, with some interesting dirt alternatives.

I'm looking at 'Australia Touring Atlas' by HEMA.

Yep, no escaping heat in Darwin, esp in the buildup. Well, from time to time there is - aircon and a nice chilled drink or two :-)

Skull
15th November 2011, 05:57 PM
what should make it even more fun is the fact that the wife an two kids will be with me in roof top tents. should be interesting come 3pm storm time. been looking at hema as well. just don't know that area at all. what is gonna flood or get to wet to tackle? thems the questions. need some one with the answers. thanks for the input so far. will let yas know what i end up with. just don't wanna go round the bottom again. spoke to nissan today to se if there is any chance of getting my truck from brissy and flying over for xmas with family and then birdsville it.. fail. thought so but if ya don't ask eh.