PDA

View Full Version : 1991 SWB GQ Patrol, Rolled! I'm thinking about trying to find a ute cab for it!

dillan89gq
14th November 2011, 12:40 PM
Basically what i did was buy a 89 GQ LWB, and pretty much got a SWB 91 GQ that had been rolled thrown in for nothing! runs pretty well, need to replace the radiator and support panel etc, but since it was rolled i'd have to replace all that anyway. so what i wanna know is A) is it possible to replace the whole body, B) how hard is it to do, C) does anyone know of any cabs in decent nic and how much you think il be looking at?

can't find my camera at the moment but il stick a few pics up when i can

cheers

dillan89gq
14th November 2011, 02:19 PM
heres a couple of pics, of the rolled shorty, as you can see not real flash, but theres no damage to anything mechanical except for the radiator. thats why i wanna try and replace the body, only got 200000 odd on the clock

patch697
14th November 2011, 02:38 PM
A/ yes the body can be replaced (but I;d be getting the chassis checked before I contemplated doing that)

B/ There's a fair bit involved ( certainly not a 1 day job)

C/ I have no idea on price but I can tell you cabs (as in Ute body) are hard to find in rust free good nick & not real cheap when you do manage to track one down as a rule.

dillan89gq
14th November 2011, 02:56 PM
yeah cool, yeah was gonna get it checked out, not afraid of a bit of hard work, bit of a project over a few weekends or something. guess il try looking round a few wreckers and see what i can find
cheers

MudRunnerTD
14th November 2011, 05:19 PM
Was that Shortie declared a Write Off? If it was then it might be as MUCH Bigger job than you think to get back on the road mate and you'd have to think very hard about it to be honest.

It was basically given to you as a parts car. Nice! what engine does it run? is it the same as the LWB you bought?

Assuming that it's not a write off you'd nearly be better off buying a LWB cab and cutting the thing down to a Extend cab and dropping that onto that chassis. Nice! Plenty of LWB cabs about for next to nothing.

As i said, if its a declared write off think again.

Economic Write-off will be allot of work.
Statutory write-off will be impossible.

Research

Finly Owner
16th November 2011, 12:08 AM
To put MRs' post into simple terms:

Stat write off means you cannot re-register body or chasis! Motor can be used in other vehicl as can panels etc.
Economical write off can be repaire and re-registerd.

Tim

dillan89gq
17th November 2011, 07:12 PM
Hey guys thanx for the tips, yeah I looked it up it was never actually written off either way, the bloke just cancelled his reg. so I'm assuming he either had no real insurance or only third party! He rolled it down an embankment near his joint 10 days after he bought it! So first thing I'm gonna do obviously is get the chassis sussed out to make sure i can do it and go from there! Ive had a bit of a look at it but obviously I don't know exactly what to look for but it looks straight and everything underneath so il see how I go! I'll keep you all posted anyway! Cheers

growler2058
17th November 2011, 07:14 PM
OnyaDillan will be a good build up to watch mate

dillan89gq
17th November 2011, 07:16 PM
Well hopefully il be able to do it and show everyone how I go along the way!

growler2058
17th November 2011, 07:21 PM
Bloody oath dont forget the foters mate hahahahahahhahahahaha

jimmyjam
20th November 2011, 11:38 AM
I know this is a truly frightening suggestion, but if you are going to go through all the trouble of re-body-ing it, why not put a completely different body on it? http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/11/28.jpg
or maybe more tasteful?

dillan89gq
6th December 2011, 06:05 PM
Haha, yeah not bad, probably not particularly practical though! :-p

jimmyjam
8th December 2011, 11:34 PM
I'll admit, my previous post was not that practical, but what about a non brick body?

I know that suggesting a non brick body is sacrelige...

jazza_v
30th December 2011, 06:38 PM
looks like a good build hope to see more

Ben-e-boy
31st December 2011, 08:26 AM
Dont worry about the body....rip it off and replace it with a roll cage have the LWB for the road and trips etc and the buggy for serious play.

MudSlut
26th March 2012, 11:23 PM
or you could spend $18,990 and get this --->

Or $14,195 for this --->
http://www.rhinobuggies.com.au/build.asp

I know it's a lot of money... but it would be very cool!