PDA

View Full Version : Speakers

poltac
13th November 2011, 01:41 AM
just redoing my sterio and was wondering if anybody have replaced front door speakers in a TI as there is not much depth cause the window channel is in the way
John

Clunk
13th November 2011, 02:32 AM
I haven't replaced the speakers..... But you could make up some spacers to give you the depth you need

Bigcol
13th November 2011, 02:33 AM
I have seen others do this -
1) cut the grill out of the speaker surround (make sense?) and screw the new ones to the outside -

2) cut the speaker grill off altogether - fit a spacer (screwed to/through to the door) fit speaker to the spacer - you would need to cover the spacer similar to your door trim.......

then you can fit decent speakers to the front doors

cheers

nowoolies
13th November 2011, 09:20 AM
go to any car shop
speaker mounts are avaiable in a few sizes
and if you have your new speakers take them with you and then you can get the depth you need
then fitting is a piece of cake

poltac
13th November 2011, 11:13 AM
I want to keep the door trims orginal and the gap between the speaker and the trim is about 6mm the audio shops smallest spacer is 16mm i'm trying to find ones with the magnets not set to deep if you now want i mean
John

patch697
13th November 2011, 12:10 PM
You can buy slim speakers for use in your situation but you will not get big power options in this range.

If you only intend to run direct off a head unit then your should find some to cover your output needs but if your thinking of going passive & running an AMP then you'll have to forgo your grills & do as has been suggested to cover your requirements.

Are you replacing your head unit by chance???

If so do not connect your new units (-) ground up to the factory units one as it will blow your dash light/ Parker fuse. just run your New head units (-) ground direct to the body somewhere & leave the factory head units (-) ground disconnected & taped (or shrink) off.

NissanGQ4.2
13th November 2011, 12:57 PM
This is what I have done in my 92 TI. I had some MDF laying around and used that. I would try finding plastic spacers 2 suit first as the mdf will swell and fall apart if it gets moisture in the door.....just like the bottom of my spacers have done :(

patch697
13th November 2011, 01:45 PM
This is what I have done in my 92 TI. I had some MDF laying around and used that. I would try finding plastic spacers 2 suit first as the mdf will swell and fall apart if it gets moisture in the door.....just like the bottom of my spacers have done :(

I did a similar thing with my first set too Toddy (not a TI though) just before I found out about the slim ones but when I went to the next step with the last upgrade I had to go for some fairly deepish spaces as the speaker magnets themselves where just way to big & deep hay.

Im still very happy with the end result though, looks the goods.

NissanGQ4.2
13th November 2011, 01:55 PM
I did a similar thing with my first set too Toddy (not a TI though) just before I found out about the slim ones but when I went to the next step with the last upgrade I had to go for some fairly deepish spaces as the speaker magnets themselves where just way to big & deep hay.

Im still very happy with the end result though, looks the goods.

Never heard of slim ones until you posted about them Paul, but then again I have a pretty basic stereo setup, As much as I love seeing a good setup, can't justify spending the money on one.

I think you should post up some pics of your setup mate, sounds interesting

patch697
13th November 2011, 02:00 PM
Never heard of slim ones until you posted about them Paul, but then again I have a pretty basic stereo setup, As much as I love seeing a good setup, can't justify spending the money on one.

I think you should post up some pics of your setup mate, sounds interesting

Its all in my Members ride thread: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?716-Pauly-s-Mav

poltac
13th November 2011, 02:05 PM
Change the head unit to a JVC and using JVC rear speakers just want to keep the door trims standard I like yor idea todd that way I could use 4 1/2" speakers
I'm running the sterio through the orginal amp and sub box
John

MC97GQ
19th November 2011, 11:16 AM
poltac,

I have a standard DX trol, I used JVC CS V626 6" speakers in my front trims, I got 2 plunger rubbers (flat piece of rubber used to clear 6" pipe) 150mm in diameter and about 10mm thick and cut the centre out of them so that the speaker sits in them and then screws to the door. This allowed to speakers to clear the window mechanism and the door trims with original grills to fit over the top.

The JVC speakers are about 45mm deep so if you buy speakers no deeper than this you should be right.

The finished product

Hope this helps

Mark