PDA

View Full Version : Imported an RC Crawler!

Timbo
27th August 2010, 10:33 AM
..only problem was, it was the wrong model.

And so my story begins. I ordered an RC crawler online from an American store. Great prices, sold them in kit forms with all of the gear needed to start building it. So this includes the car, battery, radio, servo, speed control and motor. I also bought another motor which was a bit faster so that's cool.

I paid extra for express shipping as I wanted it fast! It was $115 for fast express. Anyway, package arrived 2 days late but in the scheme of things I guess that's fine. When you're talking about boats, planes, customs etc..

Opened the box and it's the wrong item. Was so disappointed. Not only that, the box was torn open and damaged. Nothing looked new at all. Luckily I had the fore-sight to take pictures of the box before I opened it, and after wards. I shot all of the pics to the guy via email and explained the whole thing. I quoted code numbers for everything, told him what was correct and what wasn't. Told him the packaging was unacceptable for an overseas freight.

Get this, all they did for packaging was scrunch up 2 sheets of butchers paper (fish and chips paper) and put it between a couple of the boxes. LOL! :1087: Absolutely ridiculous.

To cut a long story a bit shorter, I've ended up buying the wrongly sent out item for cost price, which is about half price of a new unit ($150AUD) and they are shipping out my original order immediately, for free. So for $650 I'll have 2 rock crawlers and the electrical components to make one work. Pretty sweet deal considering I had 2 quotes for 1 kit at $800+.

So I'll have one dedicated Rock Crawler and one dedicated scale Trail crawler.

Here's the difference.

AX-10 Rock Crawler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYBRBlBChQY) More of a competition car.
SCX-10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsne-7BjBYI&feature=related) More of a true to life scaled car.

Hopefully they send the correct one out this time!

Cheers
Tim

patch697
27th August 2010, 11:16 AM
Mate a bit of mucking around but bloody nice score....... chuck up some vid of it in action when your finished building it.

Timbo
27th August 2010, 11:34 AM
Will do mate

Russell1974
2nd September 2010, 10:50 PM
hey mate great score wer did you get it from do you have the web address cheers

Timbo
3rd September 2010, 09:03 AM
hey mate great score wer did you get it from do you have the web address cheers

Ordered from CKRCCRAWLERS (http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/). I'm expecting my other order to be delivered today, or I might have to pick it up tomorrow morning. Can
t wait to build it.

If you're interested in importing one, I'd suggest looking at Tower Hobbies/ (http://www.towerhobbies.com/) as they have a great reputation apparently and excellent customer service.

But I found CKRC had the best selection of crawlers and kits on offer. It's a pity I've had a bad experience with them first time around, BUT, they have tried their best to fix it up. Just hoping the new kit they sent out is the correct one again.

patch697
3rd September 2010, 09:17 AM
Ordered from CKRCCRAWLERS (http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/). I'm expecting my other order to be delivered today, or I might have to pick it up tomorrow morning. Can
t wait to build it.

If you're interested in importing one, I'd suggest looking at Tower Hobbies/ (http://www.towerhobbies.com/) as they have a great reputation apparently and excellent customer service.

But I found CKRC had the best selection of crawlers and kits on offer. It's a pity I've had a bad experience with them first time around, BUT, they have tried their best to fix it up. Just hoping the new kit they sent out is the correct one again.

& if its not you may end up with three crawlers for the price of one........lol

Timbo
3rd September 2010, 11:22 AM
Well Patchy, you'll likely be making your first banning on these forums because if it's wrong again, i'll likely be ranting and raving like a lunatic and blowing my top here haha

patch697
3rd September 2010, 11:40 AM
LOLOLOLOLOL........... Its all good mate just don't use any bad words without putting some ****** in them & you can rant away.....lololol

Cheers
Paul

Russell1974
5th September 2010, 10:46 PM
Cheers G Unit
So how did you go

GUte
30th May 2011, 11:15 PM
Bump :)

Hey Timbo, looks like you scored a bargain!
Im looking at getting a more competition spec car and choosing between the AX10 or Venom Creeper.

I already have a Futaba 3PM 2.4 ghz radio that I use for my 1/5 scale 26cc baja, so I will be saving a bit of money there.

Was searching the net and came across this thread on home soil :)

Hows it all going? Still use your trucks? Have you broke any parts or added any upgrades?

Think the bug has bitten haha

Silver
30th May 2011, 11:30 PM
I have a Lossi Venom about half built..... must pull my finger out!

Bigrig
31st May 2011, 08:34 AM
I have a Lossi Venom about half built..... must pull my finger out!

Photos please!! lol ... would I be on my own asking what a "Lossi Venom" actually is??

Bigrig
31st May 2011, 08:35 AM
Photos please!! lol ... would I be on my own asking what a "Lossi Venom" actually is??

Nope - got it - another toy crawler!! lol

Bless google!!

NissanGQ4.2
31st May 2011, 08:39 AM

Just a brand of RC as far as i know. But I'm sure Silver will correct me

Timbo
31st May 2011, 09:46 AM
Bump :)

Hey Timbo, looks like you scored a bargain!
Im looking at getting a more competition spec car and choosing between the AX10 or Venom Creeper.

I already have a Futaba 3PM 2.4 ghz radio that I use for my 1/5 scale 26cc baja, so I will be saving a bit of money there.

Was searching the net and came across this thread on home soil :)

Hows it all going? Still use your trucks? Have you broke any parts or added any upgrades?

Think the bug has bitten haha

Hey mate,

I actually have two RC crawlers. Have the Axial AX10 (built) and the Axial SCX10 (scale -not built). I eventually ended up getting the SCX10 from the states after months of email fights.

I pulled the SCX10 out the other day and finished building the chassis and I'm ready to fit the steering servo and battery etc.. but I'm stuck on one part of the chassis and it doesn't say anything in the book. I'll have to post some pics, but, right above the steering servo is a part that fits inbetween the two chassis rails and the problem is, it hits the steering servo and won't allow the suspension to flex at all. Hard to explain but I'll try and take a pic tonight.. hopefully I remember.

But I star-cut the tyre foams (did a butcher of a job) and fitted the wheel on. I just have to take parts of the AX10 to build up the SCX10, but sooner or later I'll buy some decent parts for both and have them both going.

There's a website called The Crawl Pit (http://thecrawlpit.com/forum/) which seems to be the largest Aussie forum for this stuff. They organise competitions with prizes etc, which is why I bought the RC Cars in the first place.. but I lost interest in it all after waiting months and months for the SCX10 to arrive.

And as far as I know, Lossi is another brand of Crawler and is revered by some as the best but then you have the Axial fans that claim Axial is the best. There's Axial, Lossi, Borg and Venom as the major players.

Silver
31st May 2011, 09:48 AM
Just a brand of RC as far as i know. But I'm sure Silver will correct me

yeah, the local model shop recommended it. The reason for purchase is that the speedy Jaycar 4wd was broken after two flat out encounters with the gutter - not while it was being driven by me :-) So I thought I would get something slower for confined spaces.

In the meantime I have fixed the Jaycar speedy car and loverly wife gave it a bit of a flogging last time we were at Sommerset Dam - Kirkleigh. Even then she refused to take it out onto the oval, but insisted on playing in the gravel amongst the trees. Oh well :-) At least it survived intact this time.

Bigrig
31st May 2011, 11:07 AM
yeah, the local model shop recommended it. The reason for purchase is that the speedy Jaycar 4wd was broken after two flat out encounters with the gutter - not while it was being driven by me :-) So I thought I would get something slower for confined spaces.

In the meantime I have fixed the Jaycar speedy car and loverly wife gave it a bit of a flogging last time we were at Sommerset Dam - Kirkleigh. Even then she refused to take it out onto the oval, but insisted on playing in the gravel amongst the trees. Oh well :-) At least it survived intact this time.

Next time we have a meet, we'll have to get owners of them to bring em along - never really seen the crawlers in action.

Timbo
31st May 2011, 12:50 PM
Next time we have a meet, we'll have to get owners of them to bring em along - never really seen the crawlers in action.

This is more what I wanted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqKz8-o1P3k) which is "scale" rather than this here Rock Crawler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDQD_40dDII).

Having both is cool though.. can set up two cars. But youtube is your best friend for seeing awesome clips of them. :D

Silver
31st May 2011, 03:14 PM
sorry, mine's a Venom Crawler, nothing to do with Lossi :-)

GUte
31st May 2011, 06:59 PM
I raced a Lossi 1/10 electric buggy in my teens, they make good equipment.

I keep looking at those HSP crawlers on ebay but cheap usually = nasty

How much was postage from ckrccrawlers.com Timbo?

Silver
31st May 2011, 07:29 PM
our HSP is a truggy, and it's a rocket, not a crawler :-)

Be nice if Jaycar sold the chassis as the linkage between bullbar and chassis is stronger than the chassis. I modified ours to hopefully make the bullbar more impact absorbing