PDA

View Full Version : Ironman or OME for y60?

AdrianY60
10th November 2011, 12:06 AM
Hey!
I am planning to install a 2" lift kit on my 1990 swb y60. :D But i am not sure if i should buy OME or Ironman. I hope that someone have some viewpoints and can help me with my decision! :049:

YNOT
10th November 2011, 12:12 AM
Both are good quality, OME probably the better of the two but usually also more expensive. There are many other good brands out there but not sure about the availabillity in Norway.

Tony

AdrianY60
10th November 2011, 01:01 AM
It is a offer on the OME lift kit at the local 4x4 shop, so it is about the same price as the ironman. :D I dont think it is any other brands that is available in Norway... :(

Clunk
10th November 2011, 01:06 AM
if the OME's are going for the same price as the Ironman, then I'd be going for the OME's mate.............. as Tony already said, OME's probably the better quality

AdrianY60
10th November 2011, 02:18 AM
Thank you for quick respons guys! I think i will go for OME :D Is it necessary to buy a new steering damper at the same time? :)

Clunk
10th November 2011, 02:56 AM
Thank you for quick respons guys! I think i will go for OME :D Is it necessary to buy a new steering damper at the same time? :)
I don't think so mate............ but I'm not very technical or mechanically minded. No doubt someone who knows better will be able to answer correctly if I'm wrong.

AB
10th November 2011, 12:39 PM
100% OME mate if you can get them at the same price...Go for it!

rottodiver
10th November 2011, 01:59 PM
I have ome and and cant fault it... and i have the dampner also.

Scotty

patch697
10th November 2011, 03:55 PM

Its not really necessary if yours is in good order....... I've never been a big fan of the OME steering dampers myself, I found them a bit on the hard side but that is only my opinion. The rest of there products however are top rate.

canuck
10th November 2011, 04:52 PM
I went with an OME lift a couple years ago because I had a friend working for their regional distributor. The mistake I made was getting the HD shocks. They are fine when I have the Y60 loaded with family and gear. However, it is a rough ride if you are just traveling by yourself.

White Elephant
10th November 2011, 08:07 PM
Hey!
I am planning to install a 2" lift kit on my 1990 swb y60. :D But i am not sure if i should buy OME or Ironman. I hope that someone have some viewpoints and can help me with my decision! :049:

A mate of mine put a 2" Ironman kit through his GQ shorty and it was awesome. Ironman is pretty good bang for your buck, but as Tony says OME are generally considered top quality, but you have to pay for them.

AdrianY60
10th November 2011, 08:46 PM
Thank you for your responses guys, seems like a great forum! :D I will probably go for the OME kit. I will try witout the steering damper first and see if i need that too.. :) Hopefully i will get some 33" tires on the car aswell :D

gec
10th November 2011, 08:58 PM
Definitely go for the ome mate and if you fit 33' tires I would fit a return to center steering stabiliser.

http://www.toughdogdealer.com.au/rtc.htm

WaxFraq
15th November 2011, 05:49 AM
I recommend the OME kit. I have it on my Y60, and mounted it on a earlier K160. But order the Medium kit..it's better suited for everyday use...after a while you can take out the angelgriner and cut out a little, and suddenly you may fit 38"s like the one's I'm driving on.. =P
It's a little more than that....but rock on!!!

GreaseMonkee
15th November 2011, 06:30 AM
I just installed OME 2" coils and Ironman foam cell shocks and damper and am pretty impressed with the ride both on and off road......

AdrianY60
15th November 2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks for all the answers dudes! I guess medium OME is the one to get :bananarock: I am planning on mounting a winch and a winch bar aswell, maybe i should buy another stifness on the front springs? :)

WaxFraq
15th November 2011, 10:16 PM
I drive a new Isuzu D-Max at work, and there they have mounted OME hard springs and shocks in the back...and in the front there still original...that's not a good setup!!
My opinion is that you ruining the cars geometry...! It feels strange running around corners...and it loves to drift..!! hahaha....it's fun....SOMETIMES!!

AdrianY60
15th November 2011, 11:52 PM
Haha, that sounds kind off cool! :D where did u buy your OME setup, waxfraq? And which stifness is it? :D

Skull
16th November 2011, 01:08 AM
Listen to most your responces OME all the way over Ironman. Two of my mates cheaped out for Ironman and both regretted it. Thats 100% of fitments I have seen... shot. The first his shocks where the foam cell on a BT50, it bounced in the rear like it had none. The second mate had the springs in a Prado, they where uprated for all the gear and with out the gear on the truck yet sagged 1.5" in three weeks. No one wanted to know him either, reckon that all springs will sag and it was normal. I have done 75000km's on my Dobinsons and they have lost 17mm.

WaxFraq
16th November 2011, 02:40 AM
Haha, that sounds kind off cool! :D where did u buy your OME setup, waxfraq? And which stifness is it? :D

I use OME medium, from bgnor.no/4x4butikken.no. great guys! and their willing to help alot!! and I know that the TÜV won't be any problem with the OME kit..! I haven't tried Ironman..

Hailbou
18th November 2011, 10:11 PM
Hello mate I have just installed a 2 in ironman lift using nitro shocks and performance springs. I found this to be a great setup with plenty of flex and good on road .

AdrianY60
29th November 2011, 04:04 AM
Thanks mate, sounds good. But i think i will buy the ome kit because of the Tüv. The ironman setup dosent come with the tüv papers in Norway, so it is kinda illegal :D

lil man
8th January 2012, 06:35 PM
Ironman because it sounds tough...Ha
Cheers Hailbou I have been considering Ironman because of the cheapness compared with OME, Do you rekon the Nitro Shocks are worth getting?? or stay with the standard ironman shocks? Im on a pretty tight budget too!

ShuttleVan1
19th January 2012, 12:59 PM
OME all the way

Dirtydog16
18th February 2012, 02:41 PM
g'day mate,

could you order different brands on the net and get them shipped to you?

For example I have EFS and have not had any problems. I got them after a 4x4 mechanic that does comp work suggested them as it is what he used.

If it is cheap enough you may even get the product including postage for the same price as the more expensive brands.

Just a thought though.

pattersd
11th March 2012, 01:11 PM
Did you get the lift done?

pjwooly
5th April 2012, 11:25 PM
I just got the 2' OME lift kit in "comfort" form and i still think it is too hard.but cornering seems great.

MudRunnerTD
5th April 2012, 11:40 PM
Ironman are Junk and Cheap Junk to boot. Have a read of this and read between the lines

as a bit of an industry insider, I can tell you the suggested brands are world apart as far as build and material quality go! While O'seas doing R&D for some suspension stuff, I was offered to buy a range of shocks from the same manufacturer as 'steelboy' ;) but there premium range! They were able to bargain @ sub $15AUD a pair...... As for the other brand in question (strongCat) They have done there homework over the years and have really got it down pretty good. The materials and manufacturing is excellent, little things like the material used in the foot valve which is 3 time the price of the cheap crap you find in some shock brands. I do know a lot more tech stuff about both brands, but will leave it at that cus it starts making one look REALLY bad!

HTH
Greg

or have a read of the full thread.

Iron-man-vs-Tuff-dog-kits (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?9730-Iron-man-vs-Tuff-dog-kits&highlight=iron)

Old Man Emu is Top Shelf. Spend the money and never look back

bordertech
15th April 2012, 01:15 PM
OME shocks are made in Adelaide at Monroe Shocks factory to ARB's spec's (Monroe is owned by Tenneco Automotive USA) Nearly all other shocks are made overseas.
Put OME Nitrochargers and Monroe Magnums side by side you cant tell the difference except for the part no's and brand stamping but the differences are inside.