PDA

View Full Version : Canning Stock Route

hutchy84
9th November 2011, 05:43 PM
Has anybody travelled the canning stock route, just wondering what sort of track it is as im planning on doing the route in a couple of years but want to know what im infor as i am going to set up the 4x4 for the trip.

Also is there any good things to see along the track

macca
9th November 2011, 07:15 PM
G'day Hutchy,
We are planning to travel the full length of the Canning in 2013,
We are going with people we know well and have allready traversed the Simpson Desert and Anne Beadell with them on 2 seperate isolated trips, and also had 2 other long winter "highway trips".
Today these trips are reasonably easy with modern vehicles, safety equipment, food and water etc.
What I am saying is a trip like the Canning is not to be taken lightly, it takes a bit of organising and confidence in your self, vehicle, set-up, back-up, medical/first-aid and your fellow travellers.
It can be completed in as little as a week and a half right through to a month. We are planning 21 - 23 days on the CSR itself.
Those who go too fast break stuff, but that can happen to any one.
The way you worded your post mate I feel it should be wise to complete a couple of easier trips before heading out on the CSR.
It is a serious track, the 4x4 media romantisise it and that is why my interest has been stirred. BUT if you have no out back experience I respectfully suggest some easier trips first or a good Tag-a-Long company.
So the track is rough and can be a a car breaker, it has an amazing variety of vegitation and a very interesting history.
The wells are a facination, some polluted, some undrinkable, some fallen into disrepair and others restored with sweet fresh water.
Bush camping is an absolute delight in the Central Australian Deserts, mate I am itching to get back out there again.
Good luck Hutchy, you can not beat planning as you are a long way from anywhere.
Macca

snicko
9th November 2011, 08:36 PM
G'day Hutchy,
We are planning to travel the full length of the Canning in 2013,
We are going with people we know well and have allready traversed the Simpson Desert and Anne Beadell with them on 2 seperate isolated trips, and also had 2 other long winter "highway trips".
Today these trips are reasonably easy with modern vehicles, safety equipment, food and water etc.
What I am saying is a trip like the Canning is not to be taken lightly, it takes a bit of organising and confidence in your self, vehicle, set-up, back-up, medical/first-aid and your fellow travellers.
It can be completed in as little as a week and a half right through to a month. We are planning 21 - 23 days on the CSR itself.
Those who go too fast break stuff, but that can happen to any one.
The way you worded your post mate I feel it should be wise to complete a couple of easier trips before heading out on the CSR.
It is a serious track, the 4x4 media romantisise it and that is why my interest has been stirred. BUT if you have no out back experience I respectfully suggest some easier trips first or a good Tag-a-Long company.
So the track is rough and can be a a car breaker, it has an amazing variety of vegitation and a very interesting history.
The wells are a facination, some polluted, some undrinkable, some fallen into disrepair and others restored with sweet fresh water.
Bush camping is an absolute delight in the Central Australian Deserts, mate I am itching to get back out there again.
Good luck Hutchy, you can not beat planning as you are a long way from anywhere.
Macca

Hey Macca
I know its a long way off but is your trip full?? We have set our truck up to do the outback and the CRS is on our list.......the sooner the better!!! hahaha
If things all go well in Jan next year we could be going past your place so will let you know when it gets closer and call in.

pearcey
10th November 2011, 01:05 AM
Hi Hutchy
Did the cannning a couple of years back ,travelled north to south ,took 21 days. This was a bit quick as we did miss a couple of things. I towed a track shack camper with a 4.2 petrol Maverick. We encountered no problems at all not even a flat. My bigest problem was carrying enough fuel as it is about a 1000 k`s between fuel stops. I ended up putting in a 150 lt main tank plus two 70 lt aux tanks.
I also carried a 60 lt drum allup 350 lts. Refueled at the community which is about halve way took on around 250 lts at a cost $780 .Finished the second halve with about 40 lt to spare. All fuel was carried on the car plus 40lts of drinking water. I tried to keep the weight of thhe camper under 750 kg. Carried 60lts water on the trailer. Ran tyre pressures at 16 psi in fronts 20 in rears and 16 in the trailer. Did not get snached over any sandhills but did have to back up a number of times. Topped up water at every opportunity and could have gotten away with 60lts with no worries. As it`s a fair drive to get there we did the Bungles as well. The chopper flight over the Bungles was worth the trip. Missus wont fly in a chopper again as it was only a 3 seater plus pilot and no doors. Our trip started in Alice then up the Tanami to the Bungles then to Wolfcreek crater a must see, then on down the Canning and across the Gunbarrel. All fo these tracks were corrogated and needed care so as not to damage the vechicles. Met some great people every where we went and had a great time. Let me know if you want any info only to glad to help

macca
10th November 2011, 07:29 AM
Hey Macca
I know its a long way off but is your trip full?? We have set our truck up to do the outback and the CRS is on our list.......the sooner the better!!! hahaha
If things all go well in Jan next year we could be going past your place so will let you know when it gets closer and call in.

We are going on this trip with friends we have traveled with quite a few times and of course they all are keen at this time, right now we have 7 vehicles which is getting a bit big. We like smaller numbers as we can all camp togeather and find a suitable site easier plus share the same fire for cooking and camp focal point. So yes I would say we are "full".
As the departure day nears things will change so I will keep you "in the loop''.
It will be awsome to meet you, we have a double block so plenty of room to Camp at our place and plenty of spare rooms depending on where my Dad and our daughters are.
Any excuse to light the BBQ or do a spit roast and sit out on the verandah in the warm summer evenings goes down real easy with us.

Hutchy I was thinking about this last night, years ago I found a site of a CSR Tag-a-Long who insisted on Koni Shocks and carrying spare shocks and springs.
At the time I thought he was over the top, really don't know whether he is or not. He is the one who has to deal with problems so he is trying to make his job and the customers experience more enjoyable.
I will try and find it as he had a list of stuff to take and was fairly comprehensive. They were Melbourne based and you had a get togeather weekend a month or so before departure so he could check the vehicles and gear on board plus a meet and greet.
It all sounded pretty intense, maybe reduced the odds of a trip going bad. Showed the respect he had for the CSR though.
Macca

Edit, not the one I was talking about but probably one of the best as reflected in the price...whoooska
http://www.greatdividetours.com.au/Canning_Stock_Route.html
And a read
http://www.overlander.com.au/destinations/index/1/116/Canning-Stock-Route,-Part-1
http://www.overlander.com.au/destinations/index/full/118/Canning-Stock-Route,-Part-2

hutchy84
10th November 2011, 05:50 PM
Macca Thanks for the info as to i CSR i will be looking at this in 2014 and i will have a convoy of 3 at this stage i have done the Gunbarrel HWY when i was 13 with one of me oldboys mates and we had a few things go wrong on our trip with a couple of vehicles as to having to replace a tyre which we had to do several times and one having to be poped of the bead and a new one put on on the track a radiator having to be repaired once track was finished along with the battery. as far as the trip you can not beat our australian outback is is the most awesome thing ever and i enjoy it a great deal and love being out there in but i guess nothing compares to our north. As far as time goes i have plenty of time as which i am starting to get thing happening now as to mods to my car as such as i wont to go really prepared.

Also i understand i was really young back then but i still have a good memory to the encounters we had faced and problems we had issued on the track especially one whe we were to start the track and when we got to wiluna and they said that we were lucky that they had fuel, it was the first time they had fuel in 3 months they said if they didnt have fuel we were screwed, i will be checking all locations for fuel and if i have to arrange drops for it i will.

If anyone has done the track have you had any major issues on the track that has seen you come really unstuck.

macca
10th November 2011, 06:57 PM
Hutchy you are so lucky to get a taste of the outback when you were young, you have a heads up start on oldies like me.
I honestly wish we had started earlier but we did lots of other things so playing catch up now. I guess we couldn't do it all... bugger
Mate you have the passion and will have a great time.
Macca

pearcey
10th November 2011, 10:14 PM
Hutchy, the only issue you are likely to have is oncoming traffic espcially motor bikes. If you keep the tire pressures down and also the speed you should not have any problems.Not all traffic use the same uhf channel and the bikes are often 10 to20 k`s ahead of their support vechicles.
We travelled late in the season, september early october and were about the last on the track 2008. Travelling in peak season you may encounter large groups and finding a good camp sites may prove difficult. Get any permits you need early as some times they are a bit slow in returning them.You can use the fuel dump or like us we used the community both are the same price and supplied by the same supplier.Always phone to make sure the have not had any issues with supplys. Food supplies are sometimes in short supply as well so just keep that in mind. Camels can be an issue so dont hit one as because of their height they end up comming througt the windscreen. Try and keep the convoy to around 5 vechicles or less and you will have a great trip.

hutchy84
11th November 2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the Info guys much appreciated

Killametre
2nd December 2011, 10:51 PM
Hi Hutchy me and a few mates did it unsuported on motorbikes a couple of years ago this link has the story (we covered a bit of other country too) if you up for a bit of light reading but there is quite a few pics also. You may have to cut and paste
Cheers Andrew

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379786&highlight=bikerooter

walkal
4th March 2012, 02:45 PM
My mate and I are off to do the CSR in July this year. We leave on the 26th July. Have planned 21 days to do this iconic trip.
Will have a stop in Wolfe creek and then up to Wyndham as that's is where my mate is from.
So looking forward to the trip.

Wayne

boke
16th March 2012, 12:43 AM
In 2010 me & the missus went down the Canning (centenary year) in our Nissan Patrol ute & Eziup slideon , fantastc trip (it was my second - 1st was in 1992) .... we took our time , approx 25 days , no problems at all ..... my suggestions -
Corrugations - tyres down to ~20 psi , speed ~ 18 km/hr , sit back & enjoy the view & the conversation.
Fuel - we carried 175 litres in standard fuel tanks , plus 60 litres in jerry cans - was maybe too much - refuelled at well 33 - Kunawarratji (spelling). $3.00 litre.
Water - carried 50 litres for drinking - used well water etc for showers - refilled water at well 33.
Top camps at some of the restored wells , as well as Durba - can you believe we haad that place to ourselves for a night !
enjoy

Mick47
22nd April 2012, 11:56 AM
Hi Boke,
Your rig is very similar ours, Coil cab ute 4.2 td with a carryme slideon camper. We are planning on a trip to the Canning next year, I'd be very greatful if you had any fuel stats from your trip, especially the stint from Willuna to Kunawarratji, you mentioned you may have carried too much, but not what you used. I'd also be interested in what tyres you ran and how you went for punctures etc.
thanks very much
Mick