PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof oil pressure sender

lachiek
9th November 2011, 01:21 PM
Looking for any good ideas on how to make an oil pressure sender waterproof? i.e. could I cover it in silicon or something so I don't have to keep having a heart attack when lights and stuff come on after water crossings?

They are a pain to remove / replace so I'd like to do it once and for all with a good new aftermarket one.

Thanks, Lachie

guyjin
10th November 2011, 06:30 AM
if the water is shorting across the lugs, smearing silicone over the lugs will water proof them. There's also electrical insulating liquid in a can which you can brush on, kind of like plumber's blue.

lachiek
10th November 2011, 12:46 PM
Thanks mate, just not sure if silicon will cause a short itself. I think I've worked out a way to sleeve the lugs with a rubber boot so I'll post pics if it works.

Cheers

canuck
10th November 2011, 03:57 PM
Pack it with dielectric grease.

-ET 4wd-
24th November 2011, 01:18 AM
Im with canuck!
Go to Jaycar andask for some Unick, it is a heat transfer compond they use on mother boards and other bits on computers.
It is a white paste type stuff just pump a bit of it in the female end of the plug and then plug the male bit in and bobs ya auntie! it is electrically inert so it wont short out, I useit in all the connections on my LS-1 in the race car and i have never had any issues with missing or sensors fault since using it!

Also if it is a 4.2 petty then you can use chev senders for ya oil pressure as they are the same thread!

Have Fun!

Steve.

lachiek
25th November 2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks all, wasn't sure if I could trust these 'inert' pastes etc so I'll give it a go.

Incidentally I installed a new VDO sender / gauge and what a difference to piece of mind it makes to have an accurate pressure reading!

Robo
5th February 2012, 12:36 AM
Won't the wet liquid paste attract dust creating possible short or wash off anyway.
Jaycar have rubber type liquid insulating type paint, black or red to do a job just like this.
Maybe a coating of araldite would work also, it tends to go soft when heated though.
Cheers

Ben-e-boy
5th February 2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks all, wasn't sure if I could trust these 'inert' pastes etc so I'll give it a go.

Incidentally I installed a new VDO sender / gauge and what a difference to piece of mind it makes to have an accurate pressure reading!

VDO is made by seimens, you made the right choice. just use silicon to seal everything

Robo
5th February 2012, 10:01 AM
I owned a jet ski yrs back and the magneto coils had their attaching wiring coated in araldite to aid water proofing and guard against vibration.
this is done so you dont have to paddle back to shore so guess it works.
just thought it was worth a mention.