PDA

View Full Version : Mq Hubs?

Michelle
8th November 2011, 08:53 AM
I have free wheeling hubs ( I think this is what they are called) on my little blue mq truck and locking hubbs on my parts car, just wondering what is better or pros and cons of both, should I swap em over or leave how they are?
Cheers Michelle

YNOT
8th November 2011, 09:11 AM
Manual locking hubs are generally more reliable than auto hubs but do require you to get out of the car to lock them in. My preference is for manual hubs.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2011, 10:57 AM
Hey Tony, do you know if the manual hubs off an MK will fit a GQ or GU? I might be able to get my hands on some???

YNOT
8th November 2011, 01:30 PM
Hey Tony, do you know if the manual hubs off an MK will fit a GQ or GU? I might be able to get my hands on some???

I don't know for sure but externally they look the same. Might see if Tim (Finly) has time to try his hubs on my spare diff.

Tony

Finly Owner
10th November 2011, 12:14 AM
I don't know for sure but externally they look the same. Might see if Tim (Finly) has time to try his hubs on my spare diff.

TonyI have some alreadfy off remember? You wanna grab them Satdy? or from work Fri?

Tim

Finly Owner
10th November 2011, 12:16 AM
Michelle go with Manuals for sure Mate!

Tim

Sell the Autos on Ebay $50ea

YNOT
12th November 2011, 06:16 PM

The hubs themselves are interchangable between MK (assume MQ is the same?) and GQ/GU. There is a difference in the drive dogs that attach to the outer axle spline, MK has 29 splines, GQ/GU has 31 splines and is slightly bigger diameter. The outside of the drive dog is the same (28 tooth). The circlip that holds the drive dog in place is also slightly bigger diameter on GQ/GU.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
12th November 2011, 06:28 PM
The hubs themselves are interchangable between MK (assume MQ is the same?) and GQ/GU. There is a difference in the drive dogs that attach to the outer axle spline, MK has 29 splines, GQ/GU has 31 splines and is slightly bigger diameter. The outside of the drive dog is the same (28 tooth). The circlip that holds the drive dog in place is also slightly bigger diameter on GQ/GU.

Tony

So does that mean Tony that the outer case will go on but the rest wont match?? so grabbing the manual hubs off an MK and changing over the GU Auto Hubs will not be a goer??

YNOT
12th November 2011, 07:48 PM
You will already have the right size circlip on your axles, so the only real difference is the drive dogs, the rest is the same.
You can buy new manual hub kits on EBay for about $130, they look identical to the genuine Nissan hubs but at that price I suspect they are made in China so quality is unknown.

Tony

MudRunnerTD
12th November 2011, 10:03 PM
You will already have the right size circlip on your axles, so the only real difference is the drive dogs, the rest is the same.
You can buy new manual hub kits on EBay for about $130, they look identical to the genuine Nissan hubs but at that price I suspect they are made in China so quality is unknown.

Tony

Yeah, they do look identical. they are being marketed at replacement hubs!! I bet the are just exactly chinese copies though. Nothing against Chinese copies per say but if i am going to risk an after market hub it will be an AVM. Although considered a lesser quality that a OME Nissan hub at least they have some R&D going into their product that might stand the test. A moulded copy out of China cant come close to saying that unfortunately.

I'd consider the AVMs on par with the Nissan Auto Hubs which i currently have so its Nissan Manuals or nothing for me, I've had a Nissan Auto Hub fail on me in the bush in the GQ, Crappy day!

Really appreciate you checking that out for me Tony, your photos really do show where the strength is in the GQ Hub. I will pay a premium for them i reckon.

Cheers

Finly Owner
12th November 2011, 11:07 PM

TonyWell at least we know now. Gunna throw a thread on the club forum to?

Tim

qdłaty
4th January 2012, 08:46 AM
I used to have super winch hubs in mq (w260 model) working well even in worst conditions, now I have AVM ( red version-should be stronger that normal ver.). Looks same as super winch -works well. one advice, after asembly, put something into screw holes ( those small ones in aluminum cover), some dense grease. those screws likes to get rusty and than hard to unscrew.