PDA

View Full Version : Lake Eildon

belzi82
6th November 2011, 07:06 PM
Hi guys,
Been thinking about heading up Lake Eildon way for 4wding, does anyone know of any good tracks up that way??

Cheers

MudRunnerTD
6th November 2011, 07:28 PM
Hey Belz, out of Jamison there is a heap of good stuff, lots of hills, plenty to see. Head NW on teh map and you will find lots. Others will be far more specific i am sure.

boots
6th November 2011, 10:17 PM
belzi82 I am no help with 4b tracks up that way sorry but got told the eildon to jamison road is bitumen all the way now and the motorbike
riders are loving it in numbers and the boys in blue watch it to .

DX grunt
6th November 2011, 10:25 PM
Nissan Kid works up at Eildon. Send him a PM.

By the way, I was born at Alexandra and lived in Thornton for 17 years before I joined the Navy. Nice place to visit, but too cold for me now. lol

rossco

yorgalas
14th April 2012, 02:26 PM
hmm thanks for the info

Tobes
24th April 2012, 09:42 AM
Hi guys,

I've been camping and 4wding up that way before. We usually camp anywhere along Big River road, which is just south of Jameison. From Melbourne go thru Warburton, McMahons Creek and Reefton on the Warburton Woods Point road, u come to a T intersection turn right, but its still Warburton woods point road (weird) then turn left at the Eildon Warburton road (dirt road) then veer right on the Big River road. This road goes for ages and theres tons of tracks and camping spots all along the river - fantastic spot!
:)

DX grunt
24th April 2012, 02:59 PM
Hi guys,

I've been camping and 4wding up that way before. We usually camp anywhere along Big River road, which is just south of Jameison. From Melbourne go thru Warburton, McMahons Creek and Reefton on the Warburton Woods Point road, u come to a T intersection turn right, but its still Warburton woods point road (weird) then turn left at the Eildon Warburton road (dirt road) then veer right on the Big River road. This road goes for ages and theres tons of tracks and camping spots all along the river - fantastic spot!
:)

I believe Nissan Kid works up there, so PM him and he may be able to help.

Take care out there.

Rossco

Timbo
24th April 2012, 04:29 PM
Big River is a fun place. Plenty of camp sites around there too. Stockmans and Frenchmans campsites are the more well known for me as I've passed them a lot on the way to tracks etc but I've never actually stayed in them. We always went out into the bush where we could be loud and not worry about families.

Eildon itself doesn't really have much in the way of 4WD'ing. There's a few here and there but it's when you go out of Eildon that the fun starts. I'd stay in Eildon in comfort and then venture from there. :)

Pretty much the only track names I remember at Big River are the shortcut tracks. Haven't been there for quite a while and I'm not really great at remembering names of places but shortcut definitely rings a bell. Must have been good! lol

AB
24th April 2012, 04:43 PM
belzi82 I am no help with 4b tracks up that way sorry but got told the eildon to jamison road is bitumen all the way now and the motorbike
riders are loving it in numbers and the boys in blue watch it to .

I remember back many years ago heading out of there in my brothers landcrab and the police would of had at least 15-20 4wd's all lined up putting tickets on everyone on a sunday afternoon long weekend. I would be very careful about that road on a Sunday arvo if your Patrol is illegal.

GU 2
25th April 2012, 11:14 AM
Nissan Kid works up at Eildon. Send him a PM.

By the way, I was born at Alexandra and lived in Thornton for 17 years before I joined the Navy. Nice place to visit, but too cold for me now. lol

rossco

I lived in Alex during the 50 - 60s and joined the Navy in 63.

BUZNBI
3rd June 2012, 10:45 PM
Hi guys you can also try Mansfield state forest which is pretty good there is the pines in goughs bay behind the caravan park that takes you into the forest I do some riding up that way and there are some pretty awesome tracks

eph444
12th December 2012, 12:37 AM
I was in Big River this past weekend and there are plenty of tracks there. Lots of steep climbs as well and the tracks go for ages!!

Rossco
13th December 2012, 11:09 PM
Hey Belzy, most of the tracks around Eildon are fairly cruisy with a few nice ones that go down to the lake. However there are a heap of tracks to explore over Big River Jameson side or up towards Woods Point of your keen. Mount Terrible is also worth a look. Grab a Rooftops Map, should be in most local servos / stores in the area, these have great info on them on track conditions and points of interest.

connor
27th December 2012, 02:49 AM
There are some awesome camping and hiking around Fraser campsite, Lake Eldon, through dry-ish Red Box forest. Most need an affordable stroll up a variety but have excellent opinions over the river to Mt Buller. Mt Torbreck is another great place for camping.