PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed - Crazy squirrels took my nuts!

SkeeveC
6th November 2011, 10:08 AM
I've got a 1989 GQ and was about 50km from home after being out in the bush a bit Friday and on the ride home on the highway, I heard something like a stone hit the underside of the truck. Everything seemed to be alright but after I got back to town and was driving around a bit, the front end started to shudder and shake like a wheel was falling off. I stopped and made a quick inspection and found that the sound I heard earlier was the sound of a big nut fleeing for its life from my front steering stabilizer. Or at least that's what I'm calling it (I haven't got a manual and I need more posts to qualify to download it from this forum). I've included two pictures to show the missing nut.

Can anyone help answer these questions:

1) What is this assembly actually called? (Embarrassing to have to ask this)
2) Is there a part number for the replacement pieces?
3) Should I just try to get a nut and washer at the local hardware store to hold things together until I can drive it to a repair shop?

Thanks!

Bigrig
6th November 2011, 10:21 AM
Mate - no such thing as a stupid question, so feel free to ask away as we all had to learn. That's the panhard rod (goes from the chassis to the axle housing and stops lateral/sideways movement of the whole wheel/axle assembly - so a bloody important thing!).

That's the axle end nut that's come off and I'd be ringing around the wreckers to try to get one. Other than that, Mr Nissan himself or Patrolapart and/or Nizzbits in Melbourne. Definitely wouldn't recommend driving without it on - if that rod comes off through vibration (remote, but possible) then its not only dangerous, but potentially costly depending on damage done through movement).

All the best with it.

GUtsy ute
6th November 2011, 10:24 AM
Bit hard to tell, but it looks as if the stud has broken off.
Is there enough thread protruding out past the bush to get a nut to screw on?
If There is enough thread you could try the wreckers for a nut and washer.

SkeeveC
6th November 2011, 10:38 AM
Bit hard to tell, but it looks as if the stud has broken off.
Is there enough thread protruding out past the bush to get a nut to screw on?
If There is enough thread you could try the wreckers for a nut and washer.

The stud looks good on the end (beveled edge) so I don't think it snapped off - just the nut loosened up and came off.

SkeeveC
6th November 2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks, Bigrig. I'll ring the wreckers in Alice and see if we've got any spare pieces. I think the hard part is getting the panhard rod back into proper place with the rubber sleeves fitted right. If I pull that loose end off to refit the rubber sleeves, do you think it will be really hard to get it to fit back in place?

GUtsy ute
6th November 2011, 10:50 AM
If you can get the nut started ok, the bushes should push back in ok as you do the nut up.
spray a bit of soapy water on them to help them slide in easier.

canuck
8th November 2011, 09:28 AM
Any parts store should be able to help you out with the right nut if you strike out at the wreckers.

MudRunnerTD
8th November 2011, 11:22 AM
Hmmm, yeah it looks a bit weird as the stud looks too short but i think its just the photo. It does look though like the bushes have popped out a little and that is why the stud looks short, they should push back in and you will be right.

I would be doing a ring around at a wrecker to mate, you will likely find something off any number of 4x4s that will do that job as long as its the same thread and it will likely be. Even a Toyota might have something that will bolt up.

If you NEED to drive it to the wreckers to source a part then two things should be done first.

1. Protect the bush cause you dont want to loose it, it will be a 2 part item (front and back) so remove the outer section (front) because that will be the bit you loose driving down the road. Put it in the car.

2. (the dodgy bit) tie a rope around the bottom end of the Panard and the diff housing , just wrap it around a couple of times snugly and tie it off. The only way the panard will come off is if it moves forward by the length of the bolt! dont let that happen by tying rope around it. Sounds a bit dodgy but you should be fine.

Then off to the wreckers and find a good size washer that has the right size centre hole (big enough for the bolt to go through) and the outer edge is as big as the outer edge of that bush you are taking out.

As i said, Nissan, Toyota, Mitsu-bloody-bitshi will make little difference, its a nut and washer..

Certainly a GQ and GU of any model of engine will have the right one on it. (check the rear panard at the wreckers too cause you might find the right bit there ;) )

This is a very very easy fix bud. but it MUST be fixed. Today!

Here is the best pic i could find quickly that has it showing the washer and bolt for your info mate.

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20Suspension%20Build/IMG_0270.jpg?t=1277817174

Cheers mate.

MR